Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wish me luck!

edited July 2005 in Sanghas
Well, after attending an evening introduction to Soto Zen practice at my nearest temple (still 50 miles away!) a while ago I'm off to my first day-retreat tomorrow.
I've been doing zazen daily for the last 6 weeks but for no longer than 30 minutes at a time. I think it's going to be a be a bit of a shock tomorrow as the whole day appears to be pretty much made up of sitting and walking meditation. Hope I don't get the fidgets!! :D

Comments

• edited July 2005
    Well good luck!! :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I always experience the fidgets on retreat! My only recourse is to Take Refuge and return my attention to a single point.

May your retreat be fruitful, Frizzer.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Good luck.
  • edited July 2005
    Good luck.

I get fidgits on retreat, too. It can be hard work for someone like me to concentrate and focus all day; however, it is rewarding and totally worth it, if only to try it out.

Let us know how it went.
  • edited July 2005
    Cheers for the support guys, I'll let you all know how it went when I get back tomorrow evening !
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Best of luck! :)
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Go Adrian! Hope it goes well for you!
  • edited July 2005
    Phew, just got home after battling through the rush hour traffic for nearly 3 hours !!! :mad:
    Well I survived my first Soto Zen retreat and I'm definately going back to do some more. :bigclap:
    After meeting the other people attending we did 30 minutes seated meditation followed by 5 minutes walking and then another 30 mins seated. After that we had tea and a question and answers session. Then it was on to doing some working meditation for an hour and my job was to do the washing up and prepare lunch for everyone - fortunately my vegi pasta concoction went down a treat! :D
    After that we had the mid-day service and then more seated and walking meditation.
    Finally, after everyone else left I had a talk with the monk who leads the temple to discuss how she thought I was getting on and to answer any questions that may have arisen since my introductory evening.
    What struck me most about the day was the silent aspect of it all. I find it very hard to keep quiet, even when I'm on my own I tend to think out loud (:crazy: nutter alert!!) so this was one of the hardest parts for me. However, I discovered that sitting quietly and mindfully eating my lunch made the food taste far better and as I wasn't gulping it down I didn't get indigestion.......hurrah!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    That sounds like you had a positive experience then. :) I hope that you continue with your practice.

If you have not already seen it I suggest watching Enlightenment Guarenteed (Erleuchtung garantiert) by Doris Dörrie. You may enjoy it in light of your retreat.