Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Karma and the death of a tree

edited July 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I am not sure this should be posted here or where, So please move this where ever it should be.

I will first explain what has happened. I have been battling the home owners association where I live over the taking out of a small tree on the side of my property. I tried to tell them that trees were important to the enviroment and that they only added value to their and my property. That this one small tree was not a hazard to anyone, being that it was on the side of the property. I even consulted an attorney, who told me I didn't have a leg to stand on and just remove the tree. Last week I lost the battle and had to remove the tree. While it had not done anything to anyone, except give of itself unconditionally, Shade, Shelter for the birds,etc. I am finding it very difficult to come to terms with this.

Why is it that people in their so called inifinate wisdom have to destroy such things of beauty? Just becasue they have the power to do so? And by me taking and killing this tree is it affecting my own Karma? or theirs?

Does anyone have an opinon on this?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Question: Why is it that people in their so called inifinate wisdom have to destroy such things of beauty?
    Answer: Avijja.

Question: And by me taking and killing this tree is it affecting my own Karma?
    Answer: You had no intention to "kill". Your hand was forced. You followed the law and tried your best to preserve a life. Your actions are blameless. You can have no negative kamma from compassion.

Question: Does anyone have an opinon on this?
    Answer: Yes. Be proud of the fact that you did something. Let go of any ill-will you may feel towards those who out of ignorance made you remove the tree. Continue to see all of life with the same compassion that you felt for this tree, and let that guide your actions in the future.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2005
    hello MoonLgt,
    and hya everyone...!

MoonLgt, on a "practical" note.....
    Is there any way you could "replace" it by buying a tree from a gardening store and placing it in a pot on your patch of land? I have two olive trees, a ginkho and a fig, all in pots because the house I'm in is rented, and although the owners would have absolutely no objection, I'm not planting them out because I'll want to take them with me when Nick and I buy our own place.... It need not be very big, and container grown trees tend to stay smaller anyway, due to root restriction.... how would that work? :)
  • edited July 2005
    MoonLgt - what did you do with the tree when you took it out of the ground? Do you still have it? Could you replant it if you do? Just out of curiousity...what was their reason for making you remove it? I would have been just as frustrated as you.
  • edited July 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    Question: Why is it that people in their so called inifinate wisdom have to destroy such things of beauty?
    Answer: Avijja.

Elohim...what does "Avijja" mean?
    edited July 2005
    The Pali word Avijja: (avijjaa): Unawareness; ignorance; obscured awareness; delusion about the nature of the mind.

It is said about avijja:

"Yaya ca bhikkhave, avijjaya nivutassa balassa
    Yaya ca tanhaya samyuttassa ayam kayo samudagato"

It means—Bhikkhus, this body of the fool comes into existence being obstructed by (avijja) ignorance, and being associated with (tanha) craving.

"A samudaya sankhárá samudayo, avijja nirodha sankhárá nirodho."

It means— If there is (avijja) ignorance (sankhárá) actions arise. If (avijja) ignorance ceases to be, the (sankhárá) actions also cease. Don't think so lightly the cessation of (sankhárá) the actions. It is the cessation of an existence, the extinction of an existence, the culmination of a being.

"Avijja bhikkhave pubbangama akusalanam dhammanam samapattiya."

It means—"Bhikkhus, for the commitment of evil Dhammas (avijja) ignorance is the forerunner. If (avijja) ignorance, the root of all defilements be cut off, all defilements will be well uprooted. Why?

The Buddha said:

"kilesanam mulabhutaya avijja chinnaya sabba kilesa samugghatam gacchanti."

"Bhikkhus, if (avijja) ignorance, the root of all defilements be cut off, all the defilements are well uprooted."

Then by which means (avijja) ignorance must be cut off? (avijja) ignorance must be cut off by means of Mindful contemplation. Mindful contemplation itself is (vijja) knowledge. If (vijja) knowledge arises, (Avijja) ignorance cannot exist.

~Taken from the teachings of Taungpulu Sayadaw http://www.buddhistinformation.com/maha_satipatth%C3%A1na_vipassana.htm
  • edited July 2005
    yer perty smart, huh? ;)
    edited July 2005
    Not really. Just helpful shall we say?
  • edited July 2005
    How about if we say helpful AND smart?
  • edited July 2005
    Yogamama,
    In answer to your questions, their reasoning was that it was to close to the property line. According to the home owners association where i live, And I wish i didn't. Any and all trees/ shrubs must be at least 3' away from the property line. I did not plant this tree, It came up all on it's own. I figured either a bird or small animal must have dropped the seed there. This tree had been there for at least 10 years and no one said anything about it before. I have always kept the dead leaves cleaned up and it trimmed up so that people wouldn't get hurt walking around it. So Why now? I don't have a clue.
    Unfortunately the type of tree it was ( Umbrella) doesn't do well when moved so moving it was not really a solution, that and the fact that they only gave me 7 days in which to do this or vacate the premises.
    But your idea of replacing it with a smaller tree in a pot is a nice idea and one I will plan on doing as soon as I get paid.
  • edited July 2005
    Bummer - sorry to hear that they were being so difficult for you! I am sure you will find another nice tree to plant! :)
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Elohim how do you remember all this stuff? I am constantly blown away. I get dead monks and live ones mixed up. You appear to know a whole semi extinct language...
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    This reminds me of abot a week ago when the county decided they had to remove an infestation in my area of the glass winged sharpshooter. They decided they were going to spray and I had no say about it. They gave me a day notice so there was no time for me to fight it. I just let them do it but I kept my back property locked up. They only got the front.
    edited July 2005
    How do I remember? Why it's simple! Study, study, study. Practice, practice, practice. Study, study, study. Practice, practice, practice. Study, study, study. Practice, practice, practice. Study, study, study. Practice, practice, practice. Study, study, study. Practice, practice, practice. Study, study, study. Practice, practice, practice. Study, study, study.Practice, practice, practice. Study, study, study. :)
    edited July 2005
    Now try and say that three times fast.
  • edited July 2005
    I just wanted to update everyone. I was outisde working on the side yard this morning. It has been very hot here and i try to get things done early before the heat sets in. As i was clearing away some dead leaves that had fallen on the side yard from the neighbors. I noticed a new little seedling coming up through the rock, much to my delight it is a little branch of the tree I was forced to remove. ( Guess i didn't get all the roots out) I checked and it is with in the limit of the guide lines of the home owners association. So it does not really have to be moved.

I cleared away a few of the rock so as to give it room and gave it a good drink. Isn't Life wonderful. For out of the Ignorance of life, the good can come through.
    edited July 2005
    I have this tree that is about 100 feet high and it has little trees all over my property. Just the other day i my back yard in a spot where I needed a tree a little seedling has come up. My wife wanted me to remove it but I talked her into keeping it. I am going to dig the area around it and then mow the back yard. :tonguec:
  • NoiNoi
    edited July 2005
    How compassionate!!! To view all living things as equals is truely divine!!!