Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Books on guided meditation

edited July 2010 in Meditation
I was looking for books on self guided meditations, does anyone have one they can recommend?

Thank you

--Joe

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2009
    <a href="http://www.unfetteredmind.com/book/index.php"><i>Wake Up To Your Life: Discovering the Buddhist Path of Attention</i></a>.
  • edited October 2009
    Jack Kornfield offers a lot of stuff. :)
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Charlotte Joko Beck's "Nothing Special" isn't quit a guide, but it lays down in straight forward terms the right attitude of meditation.
  • edited October 2009
    I had trouble trying to follow just books, so I got something with a CD. It's helped me get started by talking me through it a little: http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=1564559068. It's called "Insight Meditation: A Step-By-Step Course on How to Meditate." It comes with a pretty hefty workbook, two CDs that talk you through various types of meditation, and some cards to display that have stuff like that 4 Noble Truths on them. It was $30.

I also read a book called "Hurry Up and Meditate." It was written by a Buddhist, but I'm not real sure about it. He seemed to do a lot of "This lady I knew said she took up meditating, and it cured her pancreatic cancer!" Like he told other peoples' stories and went into lengthy detail about why you should meditate. There was a good bit on how, too, but some of it sounded like hippie mumbo-jumbo. I'd be interested to know if anyone here has read it and what they think, because it seemed more New Age than Buddhist to me, but I'm really new to Buddhism so I can't say for sure. That was just my impression. It was a fast and interesting read, I'll say that.
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks for the mini reviews there Ethan Lee!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Ethan Lee wrote: »

I also read a book called "Hurry Up and Meditate." It was written by a Buddhist, but I'm not real sure about it. He seemed to do a lot of "This lady I knew said she took up meditating, and it cured her pancreatic cancer!" Like he told other peoples' stories and went into lengthy detail about why you should meditate. There was a good bit on how, too, but some of it sounded like hippie mumbo-jumbo. I'd be interested to know if anyone here has read it and what they think, because it seemed more New Age than Buddhist to me, but I'm really new to Buddhism so I can't say for sure. That was just my impression. It was a fast and interesting read, I'll say that.
    Go with your instincts, Ethan.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited October 2009
    Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana

"A Masterpiece." Jon Kabat-Zinn
  • edited November 2009
    pegembara wrote: »

Indeed, however, one should be aware that this book goes straight to the point w/o putting lipstick on the pig, so as to not expect something unworldly uplifting from the book. It is available for free here: http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html
  • edited November 2009
    pegembara wrote: »

Indeed, it is not bad.

However, one should be aware that this book deals only with insight meditation (vipassana).

It does not deal with with serenity or calm abiding meditation (samatha).

The Buddha taught both at the same time, unlike the commentarial traditions.

And thus, unless you want to get a really bad headache, so do I recommend approaching it.

MipE is available for free: http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Surprised why noone suggested this already but please get a copy of the book:

"Mindfulness, bliss and beyond" - a meditator's handbook by Ajahn Brahm

Reading this is an absolute must as far as I understand because it clearned a lot of doubts I had and it has guided descriptions of the meditation steps from the point you start with "present moment conciousness" upto the fourth jhana and enlightment. Reading the book, what attracted me most of all is that it is so clear that the writer is writting with his own personal experience. Please read this book
  • edited July 2010
    The mind and body are intimately connected in the meditation, and the relationship of the mind to the body in meditation is very interesting.

Guided meditation