Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Community of interbeing?

edited November 2009 in Sanghas
Hi folks. At hinking of approaching this UK based group associated with well known zen master Thich Nhat Hanh. Any expereriences/information you can give would be most welcome. I value the shared wisdom of this community and one can feel vulnerable approaching an unkhnown spiritual group:eek:
(ps Posted this in another section but might be better here.)

Comments

• NiosNios Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I was a member of a community of interbeing sangha for a while. I can honestly say that I had a great experience and would recommend it.

Thich Nhat Hanh’s style of teaching is very “lovey dovey” and not for everybody’s taste. His teaching focuses mainly on mindfulness and there is lots of talk about peace and love. So it, sometimes, doesn’t resemble what most people know of “zen”. <O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    I’d recommend going along and finding out for yourself.<O:p</O:p
  • edited November 2009
    I agree with Nios. There is a Community of Inter-being in my city, and they're lovely people. I'm in a small Soto Zen group, and we've done quite a few joint activities with the TNH group. They're coming to our Rohatsu pot-luck dinner, and we're invited to their Christmas party!

They are definitely newcomer- and Westerner-friendly. I think that their meditation period is only 20-25 minutes. Very huggy and touchy-feely.

I've never heard any real controversy around Thich Nhat Hanh or his organisation, which is quite a good sign considering how widespread and high-profile they are.
  • edited November 2009
    Love the christmas bunny - has he absconded from Easter?

I have found the lack of dirt dig uppable on Thay as unbelievable. Noone else I know of his widespread influence has had this.

When you say 'touchy feely' i sense a little skepticism, as if a hug were a superficial thing to do and a good hour long meditation were better. I think it emphasises the 'interbeing' of the title which is perjhaps useful given that meditation itself feels so individual. Having read 'The heart of the Buddhas's Teachings' I was adequately perplexed and in awe of his mental reasoning to balance the simple touchy feelyness of the sangha. One of the members said to me he had to laugh when Thay had klooked so deeply into the Buddha's teachings and his research was so exemplary that all he had to say generally was 'enjoy your breathing'. Less is more? As a soto zen practioner have you any experience of Chan practice - there is a group in my town.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I like Thich Nhat Hanh but as to whether this is the group for you, going out and finding out is best. Don't be too picky with whom you practice with but also don't be reckless about choosing which group you'd like to practice with. The most important thing is, as always, your good true practice.

Gassho and many thanks.

Abu