Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reincarnation from a psychological standpoint?

edited July 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I remember reading about about some religious folks claim they can detect signs from individual at a young age and determine his or her fate in life - either from his/her past-life or this life in the future. Like this person was a reincarnation of a great leader or a reincarnation of a criminal, etc.

The problem for me understanding this is not the reincarnation/rebirth concept but of the psychological aspects behind it. Let's consider an example: If a young boy were to be told that he was once a great king from the past and that he is destined to be a successful leader in this life, would this not have a affect on the young boy viewpoint of life? Already at a young age, the boy is given encouragement to be the best in the future and succeed to be a leader as he is destined to be one. Chances are he might be a great leader but was it his determined by past life actions or the positive persausive message by someone who believes in him? By the same token, the same boy could be told that he was a criminal in his past life and he is destined to not succeed but pay back the crimes he commited. In this case, the boy was given a negative message already on how his life may be and thus may view his life bounded for something bad to happen to him. Chances are his self-esteem may dropped, feel worthless, and do something bad out of frustation because of his belief that he was a criminal, but was it determined by his past life as a criminal (a claim) or the negative message by someone who had put him down?

Wouldn't the concept of "good" or "bad" reincarnation be merely a psychological mindset - a placebo effect?

Comments

• emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    This really made me think...
    I know a couple who have two children, and without being judgemental, the mama does not cope with the kids. She is always stressed, tired, sick, and relies heavily on friends and family to look after her kids so she can have 'time to herself'. The kids go to daycare too. Now, she goes to see clairvoyants alot, and several have told her she will have another baby. She knows she would not cope with another child, but is using the clairvoyants 'premonition' to justify having another child. Her family are all a bit concerned.
    So if somebody knows in their heart that something is a bad idea, or morally wrong, or going to hurt somebody, but they have been told it is their 'fate', is it merely justifying something that they would not normally do?
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited July 2005
    There are many cases of people claiming the ability to know about your past and future lives. I believe only a handful of them is genuine. Most of them are fake. Buddhist don't really preach that you ought to know about your past and present lives (even though they exist), what is more important is the concept of nowness. Moments by moments, you are not the same as a minute earlier as many old cells are replaced be new cells in your body, conditions changes and destiny may also change.

Yes, there is a concept of reincarnation in Buddhism. Our lives ,if do not know about the true nature, is being led or determined b previous Karmic energies. But Buddhism did stress that we can change our pre-destined lives. One very popular true story is the "Liao Fan Four Lessons". Interesting, although we may have bad karmic causes but without relevant bad-conditions the bad result will not realise. :) In fact understanding of Buddhism allows us to manage and play the game of lives well.

* This is the beginning of a new day. I have this day to use as I will, I can waste it or grow in its light and be of service to others. But what I do with this day is important because I have exchanged a day of my life for it. When tomorrow comes, today will be gone forever. I hope I will not regret the price I paid for it. *

Interesting, there are many cases of using hypnosis to bring memory back to previous lives in US.

Cheers,