Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

enlightened or something else?

well, I just finished my meditation for this morning. Even as I type this I feel peculiar. I had an experence that I'm not sure what it was. This was only my third meditation session and something very strange happened. I find I just can not get past various pains or tightness of my body unless I lay on the floor to meditate. (If this is wrong, I would love to know) I was laying on the floor, on this chilly morning we are having and focusing on my breath. as things distracted me I tried very hard to always come back to breath. The in and out and relax my body. I suddenly, and blissfully, felt my minds eye flash to my breath. To be exact the sensation on the back of my throat as the cold and warm air passed over it. It was interesting and I didn't force my mind back to my breath. In a matter of 2 breathing patterns my breathing became mechanical, but it felt, as I reach for a way to describe this, very visual. the air took on blissful paths as it moved in and out of my body, making turns and twists and feeling overall joyful and playful as it visited my self and left again. I felt almost in a dream state, but had full control of my movement, I check by balling up my hand and letting it go. Still focused on my breath, though not like I ever did before I felt I could really see it. All nosies and thoughts and sounds I still heard but it seemed all at one time though indivually but all from this perspective of the air moving in and out twisting and turning in a playful and fun manner. Even now I just feel light. I also felt like I had a different perspective on things, that all things just were kinda as they were. It was peaceful, beautiful, and somehow intricate. The best way to explain it is I could *feel* as well as understand how all things are intertwined and dependent on each other. Even typing this it feels funny to think I experienced this. I don't know what to call it, how to make it happen again, or if I was even doing the right thing. Was it a waking dream, vision, enlightenment? I just don't know. The best thing I have to compare the experience to is the things I have read of native americans having visions. It was a strange, but not scary, experience. I doubt I'll ever forget it. I feel better off, and more connected to all things for it. Please correct anything I did that wasn't right, I only wish to learn. I don't post this out of pride, but out of an honest question.

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    There are people who meditate for 20 hours a day, for years on end, who dedicate their lives to these practices, and are not Enlightened. If you attained Enlightenment after three sittings while lying on the floor to ensure you were comfortable, you're gonna have a lot of people coming at you with pitchforks like so: :rant:

:lol:
    I find I just can not get past various pains or tightness of my body unless I lay on the floor to meditate. (If this is wrong, I would love to know)

What is the other position you were trying? Trying to do full lotus or something in your first three sessions isn't necessary. The position is preferred for its stability. You can simply sit in a chair if you prefer. There's lots of different meditation tools as well, like benches and zafus, that might help. Unless you're in real pain or it's causing issues, the pains and tightnesses that come up and seem to be intensified in meditation or all of part of the process. That video I linked you to explains what to do when this happens. :)

These sorts of things happen in meditation. A flash of direct understanding. :) It's a great feeling. But it's also very easy to get attached to, and very easy to make it out to be more than it is. Refer to this Thread: http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3761

Have you looked into finding a teacher nearby to help guide you?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Something within you 'clicked into place'. And that's simply wonderful.

The trick now, is to not 'cling' to this experience.
    To not try to recapture it or reproduce it.

It is real, valid and had significance no doubt, whilst it happened.

That's perfect.
    Now - let it go.

Keep it as a reminder, a prompt if you like, that all things are blissful as they are.
    A glimpse, no doubt, of something deeper, yet infinitely far more simple.

But release it.
    Let it go, and move on..

;)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Everyone talks about enlightenment, without knowing what it is. I wish the word could be stricken from the language. It's a terrible translation. That said, you may find this essay helpful.

One of the realizations Buddhist practice leads to is nonself. You aren't there. The usual conception of you is a fabrication. So what does it mean for this fabrication to be enlightened, to possess a characteristic which endures from moment to moment, when the possession, and the passage of moments, are themselves fabrications?

If you've come to Buddhist practice looking for some kind of enlightenment in the usual sense of some kind of enduring realization which will change your life, you've come to the wrong place. The practice leads to peace, to the end of suffering. Chasing after the kind of experience you describe here is in itself suffering.
  • edited November 2009
    There are people who meditate for 20 hours a day, for years on end, who dedicate their lives to these practices, and are not Enlightened. If you attained Enlightenment after three sittings while lying on the floor to ensure you were comfortable, you're gonna have a lot of people coming at you with pitchforks like so: :rant:

:lol:

What is the other position you were trying? Trying to do full lotus or something in your first three sessions isn't necessary. The position is preferred for its stability. You can simply sit in a chair if you prefer. There's lots of different meditation tools as well, like benches and zafus, that might help. Unless you're in real pain or it's causing issues, the pains and tightnesses that come up and seem to be intensified in meditation or all of part of the process. That video I linked you to explains what to do when this happens. :)

These sorts of things happen in meditation. A flash of direct understanding. :) It's a great feeling. But it's also very easy to get attached to, and very easy to make it out to be more than it is. Refer to this Thread: http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3761

Have you looked into finding a teacher nearby to help guide you?

Well, to be honest, I'm new to all of this. I'm hungry for learning but haven't had a lot of time. I don't look to make this my relegion and I have come to terms with that. So that being said, I have listened to some downloaded teachings and read parts of books. My idea of meditation isn't whole, so I don't know what postions are good and why. I have pain and tightness in my shoulders and upper back all the time, so I just found a way to lay so that I could relax. Figure that was an easy way past it. If I'm doing anything not right I would love to hear what it is. I want to fix it anything I can. I have tried sitting in a chair, on the floor, on a couch, and have always ended up with distracting tightness in my back. I just lay on the floor because it's comfortable :D
  • edited November 2009
    It's not enlightenment. Allready you are generating so many thoughts about this experience, trying to replicate it again, getting entangled with it, conceptualizing it, wondering what it is, etc etc. No, you are far from enlightenment.

Want proof? Dedicate yourself to this experience and see if you stop suffering. I guarantee you wont.
  • edited November 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    Chasing after the kind of experience you describe here is in itself suffering.

I don't think i was trying for it, it just sorda happened. I don't know that I will chase after it either. I understand it was neat, very neat. I'm an artist by trade (photographer) I may end up trying to transcribe the experience someday. I don't on the other hand think I have any yearning to search after it again. For one I hate reruns, but the bigger point in my mind would be that it wouldn't be the same if that was the point of it. I almost feel like it was a gift, a reassurance that I'm doing something right. Walking out of a cult years back has made me a skeptic if I'm anything. It feels like maybe I needed this. In the end I really just don't know that. I am merely a spectator in all of this. Trying to name it even somehow cheapens it for me.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2009
    To me, what you experienced sounds like samadhi, or single-pointedness of mind, followed by a period of panna, or insight. I wouldn't call it enlightenment, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. I suggest checking out Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo's Keeping the Breath in Mind and Thanissaro Bhikkhu's Meditations, Meditations 2 and Meditations 3, or better yet, have a listen to Thanissaro Bhikkhu's audio Dhamma talks.
  • edited November 2009
    It's not enlightenment. Allready you are generating so many thoughts about this experience, trying to replicate it again, getting entangled with it, conceptualizing it, wondering what it is, etc etc. No, you are far from enlightenment.

Want proof? Dedicate yourself to this experience and see if you stop suffering. I guarantee you wont.

I fear you may have missunderstood my post. The fault may even lay in how I worded it. I was only asking what is was, if that is what enlightenment was or if this was something else. I do not mean to generate any thoughts on it. It was something very cool, but it WAS, it's in the past now. I will always carry it with me sure, but it's not something I would dedicate myself to. I'm sorry for any misunderstanding, my original post was suppose to be one big overall question. I'm looking for thoughts on it, if anyone has had similar experences ect.
  • edited November 2009
    *laughs* You don't have to apologize. Yes, I did misunderstand your post, but I'm not bothered in the slightest about that. Anyway, when you do eventually reach enlightenment, you'll find that enlightenment is not any particular experience at all. Funny thing, it actually is indistinguishable from samsara. You don't gain anything, and you certainly don't develop any supernatural powers.

What happens is that you are simply 'awake', and, between you and me, there's a lot more literal in that word than most people think. ;)
  • SimplifySimplify Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Sorry to butt in here but I was reading Thought of Thought's post above, it says:
    Funny thing, it [enlightenment] actually is indistinguishable from samsara.

I was wondering what this means. It doesn't mean that ones actions would be the same, does it?
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I fear you may have missunderstood my post. The fault may even lay in how I worded it. I was only asking what is was, if that is what enlightenment was or if this was something else. I do not mean to generate any thoughts on it. It was something very cool, but it WAS, it's in the past now. I will always carry it with me sure, but it's not something I would dedicate myself to. I'm sorry for any misunderstanding, my original post was suppose to be one big overall question. I'm looking for thoughts on it, if anyone has had similar experences ect.

Happens to me often when I meditate. Not an exhilarating feeling though, but I like to meditate, I enjoy myself doing it. I won't get technical and try to find out where exactly you are in your practice (I don't even worry about my status, either) It is a good thing in the sense that it keeps you focused. It is an antidote for sloth and laziness. Joy helps keep thoughts of the past and future away, it helps you realize that the mental talking you have can be left behind. I have reached a point where I don't have that feeling anymore, I just rather accept that whatever I feel during meditation is cool (unless I just want to feel good and take a step back) and then you start paying attention to very subtle workings of craving. No matter what point you have reached, keep going.
    I was wondering what this means. It doesn't mean that ones actions would be the same, does it?

The whole "enlightenment equals samsara" is just an interpretation from schools that came after the Buddha. It is pretty correct to assume, in a Theravada framework, they are different.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited November 2009
    ...blissfully...felt my minds eye flash to my breath... it was peaceful, beautiful, and somehow intricate.
    Hi

What you experienced here is what you described. Blissful, peaceful & beautiful feeling due to a strong & lucid mental convergence with the breathing in & out. It is not enlightenment.
    The best way to explain it is I could *feel* as well as understand how all things are intertwined and dependent on each other.
    This is one aspect of enlightenment. If your mind can see directly ('feel') how all things are intertwined and dependent on each other this is wisdom that will accrue commensurate results. Such results are more selflessness & more gratitude. So yes, I suppose this is a little or small 'enlightenment' or insight.

Kind regards

DDhatu

:)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Well, to be honest, I'm new to all of this. I'm hungry for learning but haven't had a lot of time. I don't look to make this my relegion and I have come to terms with that.

I know, I didn't mean even going to a Buddhist centre. I meant finding a teacher to guide you in meditation. :)