Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Not wanting to be mindful

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited July 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Here I am tonight at work delivering pizzas, in a bad mood, thinking of the fact of being mindful. I figure I should be mindful of driving and delivering th epizza but that just makes me suffer. I always like to think of things that make me happy when I am at work. I pay attention just enough to get the job done. what are everyone's thoughts on this?

BTW my job does not require much thinking.

Comments

• kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited July 2005
    BTW my job does not require much thinking.

I think you have a really good job. Trust me on this!

cheers,
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I hate my job with a passion. I deliver pizzas and no one tips me while my car is torn up and I can't pay my bills and my family has to suffer. My boss is always complaining about trivial things and she blames everyone else for things she should blame herself for. You do not want my job. It is the cause of most of my suffering and all I think about is getting a new job. I get crapped on from the time I go in until the time I leave and the unemployment rate in my county is the highest in the United States so finding a new job is very hard.

If I had a job that required me to think I would be so happy.
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I was a software consultant previously and I love it so much that I worked 7 days a week. All I need is to really use my brain.

But after delving into Buddhism, I prefer a job that do not use my brain much. So that I can keep my mind always focus with no disturbances. Keeping clear of worries, still and mindfulness, will then open up wisdom. True wisdom only comes out from within. :)

cheers,
  • edited July 2005
    You do not want my job. It is the cause of most of my suffering and all I think about is getting a new job.

My friend.

If you look within you will find the cause of your suffering.

There are people, in the world, that work longer than you, have more required of them and recieve a fraction of what you are paid.

Perhaps if you put yourself in their shoes for a moment you'd realise it is not your job which is negative - it is your attitude towards it.

Even without comparing shoes if you were honest with yourself you would find the cause of your suffering to be the same.

It is with the sincerest of attitudes that I ask you to look within.

_/a_

Dave
    edited July 2005
    Oh I know it is me that hates my job. It is me that lets it all get to me. When I say it is the cause of my suffering I mean it is the thing I let get to me. I don't like th ejob at all. I don't like how people don't tip. It frustrates me that my car is falling apart and at any minute it could just stop running and then my family would suffer. I worry more for them than myself. If I was by myself I would just quit and move onto something else in a new town but I have to take care of my wife and kids so I have ti endure in this. I will say that everytime these people give me nothing for the service it pushes me more towards my plan of running my own business. i am already in step one of my plan. Hopefully ina week step 2 will go into effect.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I sympathise with you Jason. I used to have a job that I hated. It was pure misery. And when you are in a situation where you can't just up and quit it makes it worse as you are dependent on your source of misery. It would not matter what the job itself were, if you hate something you hate it.
    edited July 2005
    Thank you. Like I said I am in the process of a plan to get myself out of this situation.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    i think we've all been there. i've had jobs where i not only hated going to work in the morning - i hated going to bed at night. i knew that once my head hit the pillow - it would be morning before i knew it and time to go to work again.

or jobs where the owner says "how long will it take to write all that code?"
    "about 3 months"
    "good, have it done by the end of this month or find a job somewhere else."
    finish it by working with a group of programmers where we basically slept on site and would tag-team each other after being allowed to grab 4 hours of sleep.
    install it and then spend two months on the road fixing all the holes in it . so... the job still basically took 3 months.

i love my job now. i get disgruntled at times - but i'm very thankful for where i work, my profession and the great owners that i work for.

michael