Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Did Buddha shave?

In all the images he's clean-shaven. I thought all he carried with him was a robe, begging bowl and a needle & thread. If he shaved, that seems a little vain.

Maybe his hair fell out after his asceticism.

Maybe he was like Jesus and looked kinda like Ted Nugent?

Comments

• comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Maybe all his images are like what we see of Jesus? Wrong. I was watching a documentary on Jesus a few years back and the original paintings of him had him looking like a young teenager with no facial hair and a short haircut. The bible even says that a man having long hair is shameful. I think all this happenned so long ago that we don't even have any true images of these spiritual leaders. I figure it isn't really all that important to me. I know you are just making an observation because I think of these kinds of things, too. LOL. The world may never know.
  • edited July 2005
    If I'm not mistaken, Jesus was a carpenter, that right there tells you the images are a little off. You would think a carpenter in that day would be dark and a little thicker...but the images show him a little pale and thin..ya get me? ;)
  • edited July 2005
    And really, when was he a carpenter? He was too busy doing other things! :)
    edited July 2005
    From what I have heard a carpenter back then was more of a stone mason. How many trees are in the middle east?
  • edited July 2005
    Ya know, I never thought about that comic, as sad as that sounds...haha I'm was simply going from what I have always heard. :o

So maybe I was mistaken..lol
    edited July 2005
    He was a carpenter but I think a carpenter back then was a mason though.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    I have been delving into the life of Jesus to find the "real" man behind the myth. I have found that a lot of things I "knew" about him were either conjectures, misconceptions, or just plain fallacies. For example, he was probably not white with long brown hair as in all the modern pictures of him. (Big surprise eh? Ever seen a Jewish/Middle Eastern person? Jesus was definitly not European.) Also, he may not have been a carpenter at all. The only time "carpenter" and "Jesus" are mentioned together in the New Testament are in Mark:

"On the Sabbath he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were astounded. They said, “Where did this man get all this? What is this wisdom that has been given to him? What deeds of power are being done by his hands! Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary [Other ancient authorities read “son of the carpenter and of Mary”] and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon, and are not his sisters here with us?” And they took offense at him.
    —Mark 6:2-3 (NRSV)

Let us also look at some of the original words used to describe Jesus--the Hebrew word that is translated as "carpenter" is 'nagger' whick also means 'scholar' or 'learned man'. After that, in the Greek translation, they use the word "tekton" which means 'craftsman'. Also he is refered to as "Rabbi" at least 13 times. Jesus never corrected anyone when referring to him as such. So whether or not Jesus was a carpenter can be debated. He may have been a wood worker (carpenter), stone worker (mason), or Rabbi (teacher). It is quite difficult to know the truth since all we have to go on are a few ancient texts. We do not have any "originals" either. What we know comes from translations of translations, possibly original Hebrew or Aramaic translated to Greek translated to Latin translated to English. Or Hebrew/Aramaic to Greek to English. Well you get the idea anyway.

Just some food for thought.