Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Counting breaths

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited November 2009 in Meditation
How far can counting breaths take you? Samadhi developement; surely not jhana. How much can you train your mind with counting breaths.

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Why do you ask?
  • edited November 2009
    dstss
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I forgot how to practice anapanasati and my mind is very distracted and I heard counting breaths works. Bassically just asking if it is useful.
    edited November 2009
    Yes, it's a useful beginning technique. Try it and see how it works out.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited November 2009
    It doesn't work for me. Instead of counting I find it easier to just be aware of the feeling of the breath going in and out
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Deshy wrote: »
    It doesn't work for me. Instead of counting I find it easier to just be aware of the feeling of the breath going in and out

Isn't this kind of the same thing? I mean, counting is supposed to make it easier to be aware of the breath.... Right? :wtf:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited November 2009
    skullchin wrote: »
    Isn't this kind of the same thing? I mean, counting is supposed to make it easier to be aware of the breath.... Right? :wtf:

It's not the same. Counting is like thinking 1, 2, 3 after each breath whereas the other method doesn't count like that. You just follow the feeling of the breath in your mind that's all ...

Counting is a distraction for me. It might be easier for someone else though. Depends on your preference
    edited November 2009
    Eventually, the counting needs to be dropped. All mental activity needs to be dropped. But as a tool for tracking attention to the breath, for a beginner, it can be very useful.
    edited November 2009
    so basic anapanasati is being aware of sensations in your nose that breathe make?
    edited November 2009
    No, it is resting in the experience of breathing. That means dropping all mental activity.
    edited November 2009
    resting in the experience... so attention on the breath.. ?
    edited November 2009
    Resting attention on the breath, sure. But there is more to the experience of breathing than the sensations in the nose.