Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Having a Judgemental Mind

edited August 2005 in Buddhism Basics
In an article that was posted on this website about labeling yourself as a Buddhist, this comment was made in the article:

"It means realizing a broad and empty mind that can encompass all. It means realizing a position in which I can learn and appreciate all kinds of things--a position in which I do not assume any relative or antagonistic relationships with them."

The more I study about Buddhism, the more I realize that I have too many preconceived ideas about so many things in this world. How do I get better at not having those ideas and to have a less judgemental mind?

Comments

• edited July 2005
    One of the things I do when I encounter something or someone that I have a preconceived idea about I try to recognize the things that do not fit within my preconceived idea. Being mindful of situations is difficult for me but I am getting better at it. It has been a real eye opener to see how much of my life I have spent running on autopilot not seeing things how they truely are but letting my prconceptions distort my view.
  • edited July 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    The more I study about Buddhism, the more I realize that I have too many preconceived ideas about so many things in this world. How do I get better at not having those ideas and to have a less judgemental mind?

I would suggest, humbly, that you start by being less judgemental with yourself.

Also - ideas and thoughts will always be there - it is a part of life. The thing is whether or not you choose to grasp onto those thoughts or simply let them go.
  • edited July 2005
    BSF - I am VERY judgemental of myself, so your suggestion is a very good one! I have been doing a better job of just letting go of the negative thoughts I have that arise, so I guess I am on the right track!

River - thank you for the idea of recognizing the things that do not fit in with my preconcieved ideas.

You both have been helpful - thank you.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Like your preconceived notions of meat. But coming on here you probably changed them around. CHEESECAKE!!!!!!!!!!
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I battle with a judgemental mind all the time. I am getting a lot better than I was. It is hard work and I found that constant, constant mindfulness is the key. I quite literally bite my toungue a lot now, to remind myself that other ideas are still valid, even if they are not what I believe.
    Good luck, you go girl! Where you been anyway YogaMama? Haven't seen you for a while?
  • edited July 2005
    Like your preconceived notions of meat. But coming on here you probably changed them around. CHEESECAKE!!!!!!!!!!

LOL. I still don't like meat and probably never will! I do LOVE cheesecake though! But I haven't eaten it in so long. I pity the fool that eats meat and cheesecake!

emmak - I have just been busy - my mom and niece are coming for a visit for almost two weeks, so I am just busy at work getting everything done since I will be off during that time. I am so excited to see my mom and niece! How are htings in Australia?? :) I really want to take a trip to Australia someday!
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Yeah you should come! I pity the fool that hasn't been to Orstralya.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    emmak wrote:
    Yeah you should come! I pity the fool that hasn't been to Orstralya.

So, emmak, why does my friend from Melbourne sound British? He doesn't say "crikey" or "sheila" or "flamin'" - although, he pronounces words that end in "a" as "er"

dater (data)
    paster (pasta)

oh... and he somtimes checks his "schhedjule" (schedule). i've asked him if he learned to say "schhedjule in schhhool"

Michael
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    That is how I speak. I do speak well, though, and my enunciacion is nice. I was taking the mick when I put Orstralya, because that is how I think you Americans say the word! I guess we sound a bit British in comparison to your accent. It also depends on what part of the country you reside in.
    I do say crikey. And Bugger and friggin'. We have 'yobbos' where you say hillbillies. And we say MUM! Ahhh, the list goes on.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    We say Aulstralia like ALLstraylia. And we don't have accents.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    You DO have accents! Strange ones! Don't deny it, I watch TV sometimes and you sound FUNNY! ;)

Some band here wrote a song called "Australia; Don't become America" Bwahahahaha!
    edited August 2005
    Yobbos... I like that.

Oddly enough, I think we have a word like that in the States - but it doesn't refer to a type of "person" as much as it relates to body parts

Michael
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Which part?
    edited August 2005
    I'll try to put this in medical terms....

Either a woman's "fun bags"
    Or a man's "chones"... :)

Dr. Michael
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    *slaps head* Should have guessed.... Thanks Dr. M
    edited August 2005
    No problem.

That'll be $35.00 for the consultation - unless you've paid the $20 co-pay.

cha-ching!

Dr. M