Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mental Training

pegembarapegembara Veteran
edited December 2009 in Meditation
If happiness is an inner state, influenced by external conditions but not dependent on them, how can we achieve it? Ricard will examine the inner and outer factors that increase or diminish our sense of well-being, dissect the underlying mechanisms of happiness, and lead us to a way of looking at the mind itself based on his book, Happiness: A Guide to Life's Most Important Skill and from the research in neuroscience on the effect of mind-training on the brain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_30JzRGDHI&feature=related

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Huh?

Are you advertising for someone?
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    It appears to be a reference to a lesson from the Dalai Lama's (former?) translator. Looks legit to me.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    Huh?

Are you advertising for someone?

Hi Brigid

Why do you think that?
    This chap was explaining all the benefits of meditation with scientific evidence. He also mentioned something about telomeres which is related to longevity. Perhaps meditators are able to live longer.

Most fascinating were his accounts of Tibetans who suffered so much and yet were so well adjusted. These are living examples of the resiliency of the human spirit and what made them that way. Similarity to the accounts of Nazi camps are striking.

How were they able to survive the physical and mental ordeal unscarred when one would have expected mental wrecks?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Sorry, pegembara. That was rash of me. My bad...:(

I didn't know who Ricard was. Sounds cool now that I understand...

I'm a nice girl but not very bright...:buck:
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited December 2009
    No worries. :)