Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Surprise Meditation

edited November 2009 in Meditation
Walking meditation and breathing exercises are wonderful tools to be aware of but lately I've been trying something new.

I call it surprise meditation. You can do it whether you are on a bus, on a work break, or waiting for service while dining. I start by becoming focused on a single point of interest; realize and be mindful of a beverage straw for example. I then take that realization and mindfulness and apply it to myself and other objects.

I've found I enjoy day to day life more when I surprise meditate.

However, surprise meditation is sort of like the "quickie" of meditation. It can be great and plenty of fun but shouldn't replace the proper "making love" version.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    lol, nicely put :D
  • edited November 2009
    I was reading in the book The Wise Hear, by Jack Kornfield today and I came across a quote that reminded me of this.

"Mindful attention to any experience is Liberating. Mindfulness brings perspective, balance, and freedom"

This book is really great, I would highly recommend it. There is a whole section on this topic.

just thought I would share the quote :D
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited November 2009
    the "quickie" lol I should try that too. I have read that "there is nothing called a bad meditataion". I think it was there in the book "Mindfulness, bliss and beyond" by Ajhan Brahm. That's another book recommendation. :)
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for the good information. I find surprising myself with meditation is a lot like finding anonymous flowers on your desk.