Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do you do when you are sick

DeshyDeshy Veteran
edited December 2009 in Meditation
I have been sick with fever for the last few days and seems like it's becoming worse so I thought I should take some rest from meditation. It's hard to concentrate when your joints ache and you have a headache. It's specifically hard to do the breath meditation but I am wondering if there is any other type of meditation we can do when we are sick.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    curl up in a ball, make yourself a warm drink of honey lemon and grated ginger and watch a few episodes of Dawson's creek, you've been framed, tv bloopers, or whatever.

but meditation isn't necessary, neither is it necessarily constructive.

But be at peace with yourself.
    it is what it is, so just go with it.
    Watch your aches and pains and know that these too shall pass.

oh, and, sometimes a huge box of chocolates can be comforting too.

Be well, soon.
    :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Hi, Deshy.

Actually, I think when we're sick is one of the best times to do any kind of meditation we can. I do whatever I can when I'm sick. I'll sit, even if it's only for a few minutes. I meditate when brushing my teeth and waiting for the kettle to boil. I just stand there and close my eyes and focus on the brushing or on the breath. If I can't sit for a whole hour I just sit for as long as I can. I often use pain as a focus and I often use breath as a focus which makes the pain recede. It depends on what's going on at the time.

Physical discomfort has been something that spurs me on. Maybe it can do the same for you.

Just an idea. :)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the replies :)

I have been doing a bit of eveything really. Curling up and having a nap seems the most attractive option though :D
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Deshy wrote: »
    Curling up and having a nap seems the most attractive option though :D
    If you nap, nap completely! Throw your whole self into it! Don't be wishy-washy about it! :-)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    If you nap, nap completely! Throw your whole self into it! Don't be wishy-washy about it! :-)

Oh I am really talented in this area. If I had the same enthusiasm and talent in meditation I would be enlightened by now.
    :lol:
  • edited December 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    Physical discomfort has been something that spurs me on. Maybe it can do the same for you.

Same here. When my mind wants to complain about physical pain or discomfort, I always say to myself, "Use it for enlightenment," and try to concentrate on it. It seems to help.
  • edited December 2009
    I suffer. What makes it worse is knowing that the illness is usually self inflicted.
  • shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I usually sit if I have a mild illness like common cold. If I'm more ill than that, I don't sit-- I lay down and try to relax, being semi asleep, staying on the border of wakefullness. Surprisingly, I find that state of consciousness relaxing and refreshing, even healing.
  • edited December 2009
    illness is an excellent opportunity for practice, contemplate impermanence, death, and the suffering of the chronically ill.
    you dont have to sit up or anything, just reflect in comfort.
  • SimplifySimplify Veteran
    edited December 2009
    so how is it going?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Simplify wrote: »
    so how is it going?

Much better now thanks a lot for asking. It was just a common flu.

TC
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Yes, if you are sick you can do the Tonglen meditation. I have taken instruction through a Tibetan Buddhist source, and it is a compassion meditation. You use your own suffering to feel compassion for others who feel the same. Google it.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    If nothing else, you can just practice mindfulness, which is a great practice all by itself.

Palzang