Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation - Anapanasati Sutta

FenixFenix Veteran
edited December 2009 in Meditation
Is the only way to get better in meditation the amount you do it? I understand that you dont just get really good over night, but is there any way to get better more fast.
Dont get me wrong I do enjoy doing my practice even tough I suck. I practice concentration on the breath which is called anapanasati for what I am concernerd and do it everyday in the evening for half an hour or so. Im 19 years old beginner on meditation

any advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    What does "good" mean? What are you hoping to get out of meditation?

Meditation is insight into the nature of our minds. People generally consider meditation "bad" when a lot of thoughts arise. However, this is all part of the process. If this didn't happen, there would be no need or point to practice meditation. What you probably consider frustrating is actually your opportunity to really benefit from meditation and gain insight.
  • edited December 2009
    I second this - is it that your mind wanders off the breath? everyone's mind wanders (i would imagine there's something wrong if it doesn't occasionally). If you fight your 'bad thinking' you miss an important point. Don't fight the thoughts - let them go and observe them.
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    edited December 2009
    "good" to me is being able to be calm and concentrated even under distraction and pressure and to have wisdom.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Well, then my original post still applies. ;)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Fenix wrote: »
    Is the only way to get better in meditation the amount you do it? I understand that you dont just get really good over night, but is there any way to get better more fast.
    Dear friend,

To answer your question: "Yes".

The way to improve fast is to do some silent retreats.

With metta

:)
  • edited December 2009
    the reason we don't give direct answers is the whole way of looking at meditation is important - if you look at it as a race to achieve something you will never find it useful. Success and failure don't apply to meditation. However it can sometimes be an annoying answer :)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    First of all I respect you for getting into it at the age 19. I waited until I was almost 10 years older than you to actually start it. I am 30 now and I was just fooling around when I was your age so keep in mind that it is an accomplishment in itself to even think of it at your age :)

I think the others have already answered your question. Even the Buddha did try too hard once like practicing "athakilamathanu yoga" (trying too hard without eating until he looked like a walking skeleton). But the idea is to let go of grasping to it too much. keep your goal in mind so that your practice won't slip but gently get on with it. Here's a few things I do:

1) Keep increasing the time you meditate. I used to do 5 mints, then 10 mints, when i'm comfortable later for 20 mints etc

2) Participate in meditation retreats. No matter what, when you leave the chaos of your day to day life for a few days and do it in a group away from home, it makes a difference

3) Keep practicing it almost every time you get the chance. For example, when you eat be mindful of the eating, when you walk be mindful of the walking etc. It's called present moment consciousness. This practice makes it easier to keep your focus on the breath when you practice the breath meditation