Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation community in North America

edited December 2009 in Sanghas
Hello,

I was wondering if there are any meditation communities in north America?
</ST1:p
<O:p</O:p
By ‘meditation communities’ I mean places where lay people can stay for several months and engage in regular meditation practices and participate in a sangha without officially ordaining.

I am open to any tradition, the important point is living with a community of dharma-seeking individuals who engage in serious meditation on a daily basis.

Thank you,
Zenone

Comments

• edited December 2009
    There are 100's and 100's I am sure. But, one I know of is www.mbzc.org It is Rinzai Zen. I believe they have a work exchange program. The teacher is still active but he is 102. Get there soon!
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I've been to Mt Baldy a couple of times. Very nice, if you can afford it...
  • edited December 2009
    I found Mt. baldy pretty reasonable.
    If you go for a seven-week intensive, where you are meeting Joshu Sazaki Roshi 4 times a day, the cost is $400/week including room and board.
    If you stay during Seikan, you can join their work-exchange program.

Here is what it says about that on their website.:

The Work Exchange Program is a great introduction to life at the Mount Baldy Zen Center. Students offer their time, skills and effort for the opportunity to live here and participate in Zen Center activities for anywhere from a week to the full three month period. Formal application and an interview is required.
    Typical Seikan day:
    • 4 am wake-up
    • 4:15 formal tea
    • 4: 30 chanting
    • 5:15 zazen
    • 6:30 breakfast
    • 7:15 break
    • 8:00 work bell
    • 12:00 lunch
    • 12:45 break
    • 2:30 Zazen
    • 3:00 work practice
    • 5:45 Showers
    • 6:30 Dinner
    • 7:30-8:30 zazen
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited December 2009
    The Vipassana Meditation centres http://www.dhamma.org/en/bycountry/na/ are all staffed by volunteers, some of whom live at the centre long-term. You first do a free 10-day course as a student, then you are free to volunteer for a short time or a long time.
    Last year I volunteered for nearly two months, and this coming year I will hopefully be able to stay at the meditation centre for four months or so.

Volunteers have to do at least three hours of meditation a day, but I did about five hours, in between chores in the kitchen and helping dig holes for foundations for a new building.

There are lots of centres in North America, and around the world, all operated by volunteers, and offering free 10-day retreats.