Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

observing negates being - a contradiction?

SimplifySimplify Veteran
edited December 2009 in Meditation
On this forum and other places I often hear the advice that one should observe. For example while meditating thoughts arise and fall - don't get involved, just observe.

I also hear a lot about 'all is one' or 'you are everything'.

It seems that for an observer to watch thoughts rising a falling, all cannot be one. The separation of observer and thought immediately prevents this.

So are these separate types of practice, or am I missing something?

Comments

• jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    The separation of observer and thought is an illusion. A persistent illusion, but still an illusion.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I have never heard this 'all is one' or 'you are everything' concept.

But just sitting and observing the moment is a meditative practice which is called “present moment consciousness”. You don’t have to sit to do this. You can do this while eating, driving, walking etc. It’s about being mindful of what we are doing at the moment rather than thinking of what you did yesterday, what you have to do tomorrow, fantasizing about imaginary things etc. Just watch what is happening here and now and remain from making judgments and analyzing it. Just observing

You can further improve this by practicing “silent present moment consciousness” where you switch off the inner chatter as well. You don’t talk to yourself in your mind, you don’t think of past, future or let your mind wander into a fantasy world.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Deshy wrote: »
    You can further improve this by practicing “silent present moment consciousness” where you switch off the inner chatter as well. You don’t talk to yourself in your mind, you don’t think of past, future or let your mind wander into a fantasy world.
    Yes, I don't "observe" anything while I meditate, I just try to let go of my thoughts.
  • edited December 2009
    Simplify wrote: »
    So are these separate types of practice, or am I missing something?
    This is usually an insight meditation but it is also suited as a concentration object for certain types of students.

Typically its too difficult or seems senseless for new students (ie. obvious questions immediately spring up requiring clarification), particularly if they are not under a teacher's supervision. If your goal is concentration just use something easier like the breath, or a place of tactile sensation touched by the breath. There should be plenty of links around for how to go about concentrating on this single point continuously, with gradually less and less distraction (ie. moving off the specific object of focus).