Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Concentration

skullchinskullchin Veteran
edited December 2009 in Meditation
I've been meditating for about 17 months, and usually when the timer goes off I'm at least partially in some thought. I'm worried I'm not developing concentration. Any advice/wisdom?

Comments

• edited December 2009
    The time between your meditation sessions is called in-between sessions. In-between sessions and the actual meditation sessions make up the thing called meditation.

In other words you have to act skilfully off the cushion as well. If you blow up at somebody, or become arrogant with someone on the net, or inundate your physical senses, you will not be able to meditate for a good number of days. The same is true of subtle disturbance and emotional noise if it becomes constant and/or is always ready to lead you to unwholesome thoughts.

Furthermore its hard to stick to meditation if you don't know much about it. Because one will not know where they are going or how they will get there, they cannot set intentions, monitor specifics, etcetc.

For learning about meditation: COURSE 3: Applied Meditation
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    How quickly do you realize you're thinking?
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited December 2009
    aaki wrote: »
    The same is true of subtle disturbance and emotional noise

What do you mean by this?
    edited December 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    How quickly do you realize you're thinking?

I could be 5 minutes. I don't really know how quickly I realize I'm thinking. The other day I think I spent the whole "meditation" lost in thought.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    skullchin wrote: »
    I could be 5 minutes. I don't really know how quickly I realize I'm thinking. The other day I think I spent the whole "meditation" lost in thought.
    This is perfectly normal, Skullchin. Don't worry about this at all. It takes time to develop muscles when lifting weights and it takes time to develop concentration when meditating.

Just keep going, keep bringing your attention back to the breath. The act of doing so is just like lifting a weight; it builds strength where you want it.

If your mind wanders a million times, bring it back to the breath a million times. :grin: Your concentration will develop.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Brigid's advice is good.
  • edited December 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    This is perfectly normal.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I think Brigid and aaki both gave some excellent advice. As Brigid says, careful practice is important. So keep doing it.

Also, it is important to be mindful of meditation when you are not actually meditating as aaki says.

I have noticed that a lot of times, when my day to day life at work is chaotic, meaning, I got annoyed with a co-worker, I got annoyed in the bus, I felt sad for some reason etc. then when you go home with a vexed mind, you find that it is almost impossible to meditate.

However, if I practice present moment consciousness during the day, if I act friendly towards others, if I practice metta (compassion) during the time I am not meditating then when I come back home my mind is already calm. Meditation is easier that way ...

So be skillful how you develop the environment for your practice. Remember what the Buddha said, effort is not just enough, "right effort" is important
  • edited December 2009
    skullchin wrote: »
    What do you mean by this?
    For example if you sit in a chair all day at work this will have a subtle and gradual negative impact. Likewise if you hang around negative people, or someone you dislike, day after day, your mind will constantly be subtlety flavored by these subtle sensations they inspire.

That's why ethics is important. Take care of your body and develop compassion based on understanding for others, and these kinds of subtle disturbances that ruin your mind (and meditation) cannot occur.

Another big boost for people who have been meditating for a while but are sort of stuck is to study meditation so that they have an intimate picture of it.
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the helpful advice everyone :)