Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pre-Meditation

Pre-Meditation is something I haven't heard too much about here. I was giving it some real thought today though. I know for me, it's hard to just be going through my day and then sit and meditate right away. I have to calm myself into it.
I actuly have a small ritual of writing/doodling both before and after. It calms my body and prepairs my mind to sit still for a bit.

I know this isn't right for everyone and thought I may be the only one who needs this first but I came across some reading this morning about non group meditation and it suggested that unless you are able to live a lifestyle of constant preperation that you sit and do something outwardly mindless for 5 minutes before getting into a pose and starting your daily meditations. This outwardly mindlessness gives time for inward thought and a preverbal sorting inside your mind, or so it claimed.
I'm not sure what I think on the matter, I'm very mixed. I was wondering what the greater mind does and thinks about this topic.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    I find practicing mindfulness while doing something else before sitting helps a lot. Maybe a few minutes of walking meditation to get your mind clear.

I also find sitting first thing in the morning to be an excellent time for me. My mind is pretty clear before the day's thoughts and activities start to invade it. It's beneficial at that time because my body is more relaxed, allowing me to sit longer and without pain, something that's more difficult for me later in the day.
  • edited December 2009
    Maybe taking refuge and generating the proper motivation for meditation would help get you in the mood?
    Refuge and compassion are like foreplay for meditators.
  • edited December 2009
    Just start with some simple yoga exercises (or any stretching exercises) to relieve body tensions. Then homage (eg. Namo tassa, Bahgavato....), refuge and a few suitable verses should put you in the right frame of mind.
  • edited December 2009
    i start by some reading on meditation which you can find in this website
    http://www.wildmind.org/texts
    and then a "body-scan" , feeling each sensation in each part of my body. i found it it help to relax and letting go of stress .
    you could also set up your own motive about meditatioan dn remind you before each session why you want to do it.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I usually devote the first 15 minutes to just settling down, and the last 10 to just resting. (I have special bells ring at these times, for these purposes.)
  • edited December 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    I usually devote the first 15 minutes to just settling down, and the last 10 to just resting. (I have special bells ring at these times, for these purposes.)

Are there five of these bells by chance?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009

Lol :D
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I find practicing present moment consciousness during daytime a lot helpful. That is being mindful of what I do at the moment and being aware of the moment with no day dreaming, fantasizing, thinking too much of the past/present, minimal inner chatter etc. That is my pre-meditation practice. Then I come home and before I sit in meditation I make my bed, take a shower, have dinner etc completely practicing the present moment consciousness.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009

There are four, or twelve if you count the three bells at each interval. :)
  • edited December 2009
    Our body and mind actually needs a transition from being one way, into being another way. The physical body does not even move as quickly as the mind does in this direction. So, a slow transition is actually efficient.

Its the difference between leading a horse, or whipping a horse, in order to get what you want out of that horse. ; ^ )

This is why people who have trouble sleeping are often told to create a ritual before laying down at night.

Even our digestion needs to be treated in this way. For instance, if you come running in the house after a stressful day at work, and do not relax before you eat supper, you will be more prone to indigestion, and you will also not get as much benefit/nutrition out of you food.

A tummy that is all tied in knots cannot do its job.

It just makes sense to listen to your mind and your body, and to go with the flow.

So, setting the stage for your meditation with either incence, or bells, or even doodling, is just being sensible.

Peace,
    S9
  • edited December 2009
    S9, you always seem to appear on threads just when I think they are dead! Thankyou for your kind words here. I really wish I knew you better then I do. If ever in ohio, I make a good cup of coffee ;)
  • edited December 2009
    Hey lets,

How kind you are. I would like to know you better, too.

Friendship is a precious jewel.

Pull up a seat, pass the coffee, and let’s talk.

I’m not going leaving here real soon.

(That is until I see you guys running for a rope, and saying something about hanging.)

; ^ )

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited December 2009
    I have been reading about Preparation Concentration, Access Concentration, and Fixed Concentration. That is something I want to explore more. I thiink perhaps that devotional practices might be a kind of preparation concentration. These tend to have some common elements in Theravada and Mahayana; and even resemble Christian services. I made a list of 7 or so a few years ago, but not sure where I put it. Out of my hat:

Invitation to divinities to accept offerings. Taking refuge / Expression of gratitude to and appreciation for the lineage. Confession / Repentance of afflictions. Personal prayers. Vows. Prayers for all beings and the deceased. Diffusion of Loving Kindness.

Something like that. It generally takes me twenty minutes to get into any kind of fixed concentration. I chant mantras, gathas, or short sutras because it so easy. Plus, focusing on my breath gives me vertigo.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Prayers before meditation are a good way of helping focus the mind.