Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

meditation music

edited March 2010 in Meditation
I really love listening to music while I'm meditating at home. How about you guys? Who/what do you listen to?

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    No, listening to music would be out of place in my practice.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I assume you're talking about sitting meditation. I have to agree with Fivebells. It's nice to sit back and relax to music sometimes but for meditation, that's not the purpose, and just sounds like forming an attachment.
  • edited December 2009
    as the others - i really think listening to music, while meditating kinda defeats the purpose of the meditation
  • edited December 2009
    i would not be able to meditate with music it will be too much of a distraction for my mind.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Mostly I meditate just before going to bed so I don't have music on. But there are cd's out there aimed at this. My mother bought me one called Music for Zen Meditation by Riley Lee http://www.amazon.com/Music-Zen-Meditation-Riley-Lee/dp/B00008PX92

It's interesting as it's not music like new age or typical instrumental music. There are two cd's. One has a solo bamboo flute on it and the second has two bamboo flutes being played. I've never personally been able to meditate listening to it, but it has a calming influence if I play it while cooking dinner or bathing or doing washing.

- Raven
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I assume you're talking about sitting meditation. I have to agree with Fivebells. It's nice to sit back and relax to music sometimes but for meditation, that's not the purpose, and just sounds like forming an attachment.

Ditto. If I do this eventually I will find myself enjoying the soothing music and relaxing rather than meditating
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I have never heard of that type of Buddhist meditation, although I know a few new-age meditators who like to use tapes. The ones I know do not hold Buddhist views nor goals, but I can't necessarily make a generalization from a few.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Don't know how I feel about this one. Is meditating with music going any different from meditating in a place that is not completely quiet? Are we only supposed to meditate when there is no sound whatsoever?

I remember there was a time that I used to do tons of coding and it bugged the crap out of me when I was trying to figure out a problem and I had these morons, that I was sharing an office with, that would not shut the hell up.
    So, I used to put on my headphones with a little Nirvana, Reverend Horton Heat, Kanda Bongo Man, Sisters of Mercy, a lil Zeppelin or whatever - CRANKED just to drown out the "off-beat" interruptions. At times, I would get finished with about 2 hours of coding and couldn't remember what the hell I had been listening to because (even though it was very loud) it allowed me to block out all the other distracting noise.

I don't know what's right or wrong. Maybe people that meditate next to a babbling brook are just doing it all wrong. I guess I would say at this point, do what works for you. If you are devoted to your practice - you'll find your way.

-bf
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Being soothed by music is not something I mix with meditation, but if you are new to meditation it may help relax you before sitting if your mind is too busy.

If you are disturbed by lots of random noises, music may help blot them out, or may only replace one disturbance with another.

For me, letting noise arise and fall away without feeling the need to attend to it is part of practice. I was once told of a meditator who was apparently making great progress after years of meditating in a quiet room. One day he sat in the woods and a gunshot shook him up so much he found it very difficult to regain his former composure.

Music works very well in relaxation and even hypnotherapy, but I don't have a place for it in what I do.

I suppose the nearest I get to it is in silently 'chanting' mantras, but this is when I am focusing on them rather than them being a disturbance.
  • edited January 2010
    For me... my meditation seat is my throne, 'I' am the meditator and the breath coming and going is the object of attention... just this three. Anything else is distraction... Therefore, music does not fit into my formal meditation practice... it'll just be another distraction. :)
    edited January 2010
    By "throne" - do you mean "toilet"?

-bf
  • edited January 2010
    buddhafoot wrote: »
    By "throne" - do you mean "toilet"?
    :lol:

I mentally think of my meditation seat as a "throne" ... as humble as the rickety chair may be... to have the feeling that I "rule" over the breath and the distractions. It kind of makes me feel powerful. BUT this feeling is just a pre-meditation thing... it dosen't carry over into my meditation. :)
    edited January 2010
    Copy that, ThunderCat.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't using the wrong mental imagery for your post ;)

-bf
  • edited January 2010
    Copy that, ThunderCat.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't using the wrong mental imagery for your post ;)

:)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    BF!!!

It's so great to see you again!!

Missed you something awful! :D
    edited January 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    BF!!!

It's so great to see you again!!

Missed you, something awful! :D

Hi again!

I fixed your sentence.

Sincerely,

Something-Awful.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Lol!!

Awww! You're not that bad.
  • edited January 2010
    Don't know how I feel about this one. Is meditating with music going any different from meditating in a place that is not completely quiet? Are we only supposed to meditate when there is no sound whatsoever?

I don't know what's right or wrong. Maybe people that meditate next to a babbling brook are just doing it all wrong. I guess I would say at this point, do what works for you. If you are devoted to your practice - you'll find your way.

-bf
    I like your rationalisation man, my mind works in the same way. I agree with this, if it feels right and you have the right wisdom as to what you're meant to be working towards... go crazy.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Two things that destroy my concentration when meditating are music and people talking. I can abide any other kind of noise, but not music or talking.
  • edited January 2010
    I think when you are trying to meditate deeply, music is more of a hindrance than a helper, but i enjoy listening to music and doing light zazen, i usually just listen to WHOMEVER, sometimes i will listen to freak folk or drone music or psychedelic rock or something merry.

and uh,,, ahh, um, also, music is meditation itself,
    my dog just farted, is that music? HAHA YES nasal music. cacophonic... or cacaphonic, but still mjusic.
    aversion is diversion.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I think the disadvantage of music would be that it is entertaining. Part of how meditation works is we stop entertaining ourselves with sensory pleasures (and thoughts)..

Since we stopped being absorbed in an activity we start to notice our neurotic thinking.. (I know that that doesn't sound like as much fun as music, but it is helpful)

My suggestion is meditate sitting in silence for awhile. Then walking meditation (a bridge between the normal chaotic world and sitting) try to put on some music.

And be mindful of the sound in your ears and let go of thoughts and storylines about the song.
  • edited January 2010
    I think I prefer to meditate without music. But I find alot of joy and my senses and awearness of the beauty of the world around me open up when I listen to anything by Sigur Ros.

Beautiful artist if you ever get the chance!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Mostly I meditate just before going to bed so I don't have music on. But there are cd's out there aimed at this. My mother bought me one called Music for Zen Meditation by Riley Lee http://www.amazon.com/Music-Zen-Meditation-Riley-Lee/dp/B00008PX92

It's interesting as it's not music like new age or typical instrumental music. There are two cd's. One has a solo bamboo flute on it and the second has two bamboo flutes being played. I've never personally been able to meditate listening to it, but it has a calming influence if I play it while cooking dinner or bathing or doing washing.

This is really an oldie, but I still love it. Very relaxing, but I also don't recommend doing meditation with music. Either you're meditating or you're relaxing. You can't really do both at the same time.

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    ah yes also one good thing about music is that it often harnesses the spirit of love in it and you can feel that love, and it's very good for metta practice. you listen to a song that is very emotional, and that feeling transports over into your heart and you mix your mind with it and meditate upon it, when sometimes it is more difficult to generate powerful feelings of love on your own, in music it comes ready-made and you can ride with it, and water it.

music comes from tathagata's lips but so also does silence
  • edited January 2010
    ^ Oh wow, Beautiful words! Iadore the way you discribe the depth and passionand utter emotion that can be expressed through music. Incredible. Just simply, WOW. Thanks for reignighting my curiosity in sound and music.

Namaste friends Katie xoxo
  • edited January 2010

Music has never had any place in my meditation practice. However I do use gentle background relaxation music in sessions with hypnotherapy clients, because it appears to help induce trance more rapidly.

• edited January 2010
    I really love listening to music while I'm meditating at home. How about you guys? Who/what do you listen to?

I see no reason why music can not be an object of concentration. Buddhists throughout the world recite sutta or sutra, sing gathas, and chant dharanis or mantras. These practices are often accompanied by drums and musical instruments.

Most people associate the word meditation with the highly concentrated forms {jhana / dhyana}, in which one wishes to sort of close the sense doors. The broader word is 'citta bhavana;' the cultivation of one's mind and spirituality. That includes Proper Exertion, Proper Absorption, and Proper Mindfulness

I think the objection might be that music is noise going on 'out there' and could cause 'sensory contact;' which prevents one from 'entering' certain kinds of absorbed meditation. It could easily become just entertainment. Or, at best, maybe it could be a sensory relaxation that resembles meditation and might be a door to 'access samadhi.'

I think, on one end; some music can be like a preparation concentration, that one might use to 'calm the mind {samatha},' and then move from 'momentary concentration' into 'access concentration.' Then it would time to turn it off. At a more advanced level, the difference between 'in here' and 'out there' starts to vanish. I think that 'right and proper' music; either listening to and / or singing / playing music {like religious hymns}, could be a sort of concentration meditation; a kind of spiritual cultivation. It can also, perhaps, be a part of mindfulness meditation {satipatthana}.

In general, the arousal of any kind of sense desire is the first hindrance to any kind of authentic meditation. So music which does that is not so good. On the other hand, resistance to the concept, of using music as an aid to concentration, is a kind of enmity; which is the second hindrance. :D
  • edited January 2010
    When chanting a mantra it's ok to put on a tape? Just to "sing a long" :D
  • edited January 2010
    Hello,
    I like to listen soft music while i am practicing meditation.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Have any of you guys got any opinions on binaural beats?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats

When I first started meditating I used these, and found them great for shutting out noise of traffic if I meditated in my works van. They did seem to work if I focused on them.

And according to the link, there is medical evidence to show it does 'something' to your brain wave pattern.

Is it pointless for the purpose of Buddhist meditation?
  • edited January 2010
    I listen to ANY of the following:

Hammock
    Explosions in the Sky
    The Album Leaf
    Sigur Ros

Those are my favorites. So calming and soothing with great instrumentals. Started off as great study and walking music.. but realized how much I enjoi it meditating.
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Tosh wrote: »

And according to the link, there is medical evidence to show it does 'something' to your brain wave pattern.

Yes. Before meditation practice perhaps, to calm you down so-to-speak. Buddhist meditation usually involves reaching a very subtle state of calm abiding leading to further stages of meditation. Music only serves as a distraction on the surface and it can be a distraction in terms of "scenery".

:)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I think the content of the op indicates that the poster needs clarification concerning the nature of meditation practise as taught in Buddhism. I would recommend a visit to your nearest Buddhist centre for some personal instruction.
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I thought about this one last night and noticed that Thich Nhat Hanh mentions using music in The Miracle of Mindfulness. One of the exercises in the book involves listening to music while counting the breath and being aware but not lost in the tune.

It occurred to me that one of the reasons that music is not traditionally associated with music may be that passive listening is relatively recent. Until the advent of recording mediums (wax cylinder, vinyl, tape, digital) listening to music involved actually being present where people were performing. To ignore the musicians and meditate seems to be a rather rude thing to do.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I don't know, ZenBadger. Not sure about that. Even one person on the small native flute is music. If it were beneficial I think it would have been brought into practice somewhere before this. However, monks and nuns do not listen to music, at least not in my tradition.
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    edited February 2010
    But music is sometimes used in western meditational practices. Lectio Divina is often accompanied by plainsong and Saami shamen use drumming and singing to accompany their meditation (I know that this is a different kind of meditation, more of a trance than awareness practice). I was surprised to find it mentioned in TNH's book as I always associate it with New Age practice but I'll try anything once. I still prefer silent meditation though, music seems to be too "manufactured" and it plays to the emotions which would seem to be an obstacle to taming the mind.
  • edited February 2010
    I agree with Robby that music listening, making, playing and whatnot can be a very spiritual exercise, and can allow us to get in touch with a more basic mode of existence. But as far as meditation, I can't use music. It hinders my progress I think. But I do like to have a meditation bell or some form of noise to initiate my session. A great tool is zencast.org's meditation timer.

Gosh now I'm actually going to have to practice for the first time in a week... :rolleyes:
  • edited February 2010
    I listen to zen music when I practice meditation. It plays ~30m and relax my mind. After that, I practice with the silence.
    Here are my favorite music:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyIIObFyK4I <-- Mantra of Avalokitesvara
    and
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4noQ0MD1_8s <--Omh mani padme Hum
  • edited March 2010
    I tend to listen to ambient sounds or quiet celestial-type music while meditation, although I am practicing to do without. I don't find it to be an attachment, but I know that's what it truly is.

Eventually, much like if you were to sit next to a stream to meditate, you block the music out completely and it just becomes part of your current environment. I see no harm in it as long as you are able to meditate without it too.
    Tosh wrote: »
    Have any of you guys got any opinions on binaural beats?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats

When I first started meditating I used these, and found them great for shutting out noise of traffic if I meditated in my works van. They did seem to work if I focused on them.

Binaural beats require stereo headphones (two channels) to play a different frequency in each ear; this is what induces the change in brain waves. The thought of them changing your brainwaves in a van (without stereo headphones) is only you deceiving yourself.
  • slowmichaelslowmichael Explorer
    edited March 2010
    Since i have a mild form of tinnitus and the room that i use to meditate is absolutly silent it can be bothering to hear the ringing of the tinnitus whilst meditating. So i sometimes use ambient sounds like Cynosure mentioned.

Some times i hear the ringing but it does not bother me whilst meditating. But some times it realy bothers me when meditating. I know, why does it bother me? Because i want to push it away, i don't want that. Surely not a very budhistic attitude!!

Hey but i know it and i am just a beginner at long meditation sessions. I guess better to medidate with my ambient sounds than to stop meditating.