Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

is this normal ?

edited December 2009 in Meditation
oi am doing every morning mindfullness of breathing but this morning for some reason at one point i could hardly feel my breath coming in and out just only at the nostril . If it wasn't for that i would have though that i stop breathing. I have to say at first i was feeling anxious when i realize it but i didn't react to it i just felt the feeling if it does make sense. Ima jsutr wodnering if it si normal or am i doing something wrong ? thanks :D

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2009
    syrius wrote: »
    oi am doing every morning mindfullness of breathing but this morning for some reason at one point i could hardly feel my breath coming in and out just only at the nostril . If it wasn't for that i would have though that i stop breathing. I have to say at first i was feeling anxious when i realize it but i didn't react to it i just felt the feeling if it does make sense. Ima jsutr wodnering if it si normal or am i doing something wrong ? thanks :D

Your doing nothing wrong when concentration becomes far futher increased your breath will become slower and slower, ive done this before and my breathing has cease for a few minuites before...:o
  • edited December 2009
    thanks caz this was a first for me and i must say some part of me did enjoy it !
    edited December 2009
    thanks caz this was a first for me and i must say some part of me did enjoy it !

Try to keep it up every day and in a good year or so you will see the results of practising mindfullness.
    Its a very important starting practise after all if you cannot identify whats going on in your mind then you cant control it never abandon this practise. :)
  • edited December 2009
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Try to keep it up every day and in a good year or so you will see the results of practising mindfullness.
    Its a very important starting practise after all if you cannot identify whats going on in your mind then you cant control it never abandon this practise. :)
    thanks caz i am doing it every morning and evening , i do alternate with meta-bhavana. So far I have become more and more aware of my action and thought, whihc has lead to change gew things in my life and the way i interact with others.
    edited December 2009
    thanks caz i am doing it every morning and evening , i do alternate with meta-bhavana. So far I have become more and more aware of my action and thought, whihc has lead to change gew things in my life and the way i interact with others.

This is good keep it up these are the basis of all other meditation, mindfullness is a key tool for meditation without it we will make little progress, metta meditation is also very important please do take it slowly as rome wasnt built in a day, continous rain will erode a mountain rather then a quick down pour of heavy water :)
  • edited December 2009
    i thanks caz i have been mediating for quite a few month now and i do take it slowly i am doing about 20-30 minute daily .
    edited December 2009
    i thanks caz i have been mediating for quite a few month now and i do take it slowly i am doing about 20-30 minute daily .

Good good ! :)
    Just remember to continually keep it up.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    From my understanding this would mean two things; one is bad news other is good

Good news is that you have reached the level where the breath fades/stops. It is supposed to happen as you reach higher stages in meditation. The breath seems to go away and what remains is only bliss (preti, sukkha). Preti is happiness and Sukkha means bliss. This stage is usually arising with or just before bliss and absolute calm

Bad news is this might mean that you have poor mindfulness. This happened to me once. When our minds are still jumping around unfocused but we keep focus on the breath although with interruptions this can happen. It is said that the meditator lose the meditation object when their mindfulness is not focused enough to grasp it for long periods. That is, as the breath calms down you need to be really focused on it to follow it in and out or else you lose track of it.

It might mean either of the two, only you can be the best judge. I got this information from my meditation handbook