Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

nature of mind

edited December 2009 in Meditation
Has any one here had the nature of mind introduced to by a master. I would love to recieve teachings from a master but wouldnt know where to look here in the U.K

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Elliott wrote: »
    Has any one here had the nature of mind introduced to by a master. I would love to receive teachings from a master but wouldnt know where to look here in the U.K

Hi Elliot,

I can not direct you to anyone right now. However, I can give you some ideas on topics to research. For starters, maybe check out: Alaya Vijnana -- Store Consciousness By Ven. Dr. Walpola Rahula

The Buddha divided consciousness into 6 doors; these are the same as the five senses and the mind. Later Buddhists divided mind into various levels; ultimately arriving at 4 levels of mind. So this left 9 levels of consciousness.

The topic arouses of intense debate among Buddhists. Some say there are only 6, 7, or 8. The Ninth is particularly controversial; some say it is redundant and covered by the 8th. There are also different takes on the difference between the 6 and 7th. There is nothing specific in the Pali Canon to prove that the Buddha talked about any more than 6 levels. However, there are hints that can be plausibly construed as references to deeper levels of mind.

The Buddha sometimes referred to mano-vinnana; other times he used the word manas. Are these two levels? He also talked about mind as citta. Is this different from manas? Moreover, he said that citta is initially pure, becomes defiled, and can be re-purified. Does this imply a conditioned citta that is different from the pure or unconditioned?

Here is one take on the 6th through the 9th Consciousness. I am omitting the first 5, those are just the ordinary 5 senses:

• 6th. Mano-vijnana 末那識 {mona shi / mana-shiki}: The brain and central nervous system. The ordinary centralized discriminatory sense that perceives phenomena.
    • 7th: Manas 末那 {mona / mana}: The cognitive mind that creates the ego and engages in reflective or abstract reasoning.
    • 8th: Alaya 阿頼耶 {alaiye / araya}: Conditioned Consciousness; stained by accumulations of agantukehi kilesehi {adventitious defilements) or agantukehi upakkilesehi upakkilittham (adventitious minor defilements).
    • 9th: Amala 阿摩羅 {amoluo / amara}: Immaculate Consciousness; the luminous mind free from veils, afflictions, obsessions, fetters, inflow-outflows, or inverted views. The Buddha Nature.
    That is only one very tentative take. Many would disagree.
  • edited December 2009
    Hi thanks for the quick reply, funnily enough I have read what the Buddha taught by Dr. Walpola Rahula, a very good writer. Will the book explain what you have just said?

Are these different doors you come acrossthrough meditation, and what about 1-5?
  • edited December 2009
    Hi thanks for the quick reply, funnily enough I have read what the Buddha taught by Dr. Walpola Rahula, a very good writer. Will the book explain what you have just said?

Are these different doors you come acrossthrough meditation, and what about 1-5?

I read What the Buddha Taught right after it came out. I do not not know if he went into Alaya in the revised version. have not read it yet.

The first 5 are just the 5 senses doors. The eyes, the ears, the nose, the mouth or tongue, and the body. The 6th is the brain. Each of these gives rise to a sensory consciousness or vijnana. The Six Sensory Consciousnesses {Sad-vijnana/vinnana} are:
    1. Cokshurvijnana, visual sense; sight or vision
    2. Shtrotavijnana, auditory sense; hearing or audition
    3. Ghranavijnana, olfactory sense; smell or olfaction
    4. Jhivavijnana, gustatory sense; taste, or gustation
    5. Kayavijnana, cutaneous sense; touch or tactition.
    6. Manovijnana, Perception, ideation, and so on.

Each of these 6 faculties has a sensory object:

1. Form
    2. Sound
    3. Aroma
    4. Flavor
    5. Texture
    6. Phenomena
    Mindfulness of, or attention to, these is part of the 4th framework of mindfulness. The 7th through 9th, in my view, are just expansions of the 6th. I think they would be discerned as part of the 3rd framework. The 4 frameworks of mindfulness are mindfulness of body {kaya}, of feelings {vedana}, of cognizance {citta}, and of mental formations {dharmas}.

Here is the article: Alaya Vijnana -- Store Consciousness By Ven. Dr. Walpola Rahula

Better formatting: link<qtlend></qtlend>
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks for your help, and going back to earlier, have you ever had personal teaching from a master?

I mentioned in a post earlier how inspired I was after reading the Herman Hesse novel Siddartha (not the siddartha, just a character living in the time of Buddha), where he chooses not to follow Buddha and the monks as he needed to find and see the truth and this could only be done alone without clinging to a dharma.

Raises an intersting point as the Buddha said one cannot reach enlightenment without a master
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks for your help, and going back to earlier, have you ever had personal teaching from a master?

I mentioned in a post earlier how inspired I was after reading the Herman Hesse novel Siddartha (not the siddartha, just a character living in the time of Buddha), where he chooses not to follow Buddha and the monks as he needed to find and see the truth and this could only be done alone without clinging to a dharma.

Raises an intersting point as the Buddha said one cannot reach enlightenment without a master

Did the Buddha say that? My understanding is that Sammasambuddhas and Pratyekabuddhas have no teacher; they figure it out all by themselves. The difference is that Pratyekabuddhas do not teach others.
  • edited December 2009
    Im not sure about other Buddhas, but the former Siddartha said that (according to tibetan book of the dead), and also he had many yogin teachers as a monk, although he found enlightenment alone, as we all will; but many yogin masters taught him samatha and nature of mind.
  • edited December 2009
    Im not sure about other Buddhas, but the former Siddartha said that (according to tibetan book of the dead), and also he had many yogin teachers as a monk, although he found enlightenment alone, as we all will; but many yogin masters taught him samatha and nature of mind.

I am going by the strict definition used by Theravada. It is basically that the Sammasambuddhas and Pratyekabuddhas entered the Dharma Stream without hearing the Dharma preached by any Buddhas. Most of us are Shravakas; in that we take up Buddhism by taking refuge in the Three Treasures, after having "heard the Dharma."

This applies to the 'Trace' Awakening. Of course, the inner 'Source' awakening is something we all do alone. The distinction between Source and Trace baffled me for more than 30 years.
  • edited December 2009
    Im not sure about other Buddhas, but the former Siddartha said that (according to tibetan book of the dead),

Hi Elliott,

Could you give a quote or link from the Tibetan Book of the Dead where you read this please?

Many thanks,

Dazzle
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited December 2009
    robby wrote: »
    • 6th. Mano-vijnana 末那識 {mona shi / mana-shiki}: The brain and central nervous system. The ordinary centralized discriminatory sense that perceives phenomena.
    • 7th: Manas 末那 {mona / mana}: The cognitive mind that creates the ego and engages in reflective or abstract reasoning.
    • 8th: Alaya 阿頼耶 {alaiye / araya}: Conditioned Consciousness; stained by accumulations of agantukehi kilesehi {adventitious defilements) or agantukehi upakkilesehi upakkilittham (adventitious minor defilements).
    • 9th: Amala 阿摩羅 {amoluo / amara}: Immaculate Consciousness; the luminous mind free from veils, afflictions, obsessions, fetters, inflow-outflows, or inverted views. The Buddha Nature.
    Mano-vijnana is the mind as a sense organ that knows its own objects, including when it is free of objects.

Manas the Buddha did not call consciousness. In Pali, the word for consciousness is vinnana. Vi = direct and nana = knowing. Consciousness is the primal awareness that functions with the sense organs. Consciousnes cannot think. This function of mind that thinks, the Buddha called citta.

Alaya can occur to any consciousness. One can have obscured ear, eye, nose, tongue, body or mind consciousness. The Buddha did not use this term alaya. Why would he? Once the mind is free from kilesa, the six types of consciousness remain functioning. Alaya is a product of the citta rather than consciousness. Whilst consciousness certainly becomes tainted by defilement, it is not necessary to ascribe another kind of consciousness because as I said: Consciousness is direct knowing or cognition. Its function is to cognise.
    "'Consciousness, consciousness': Thus is it said. To what extent, friend, is it said to be 'consciousness'?"

"'It cognizes, it cognizes': Thus, friend, it is said to be 'consciousness.' And what does it cognize? It cognizes 'pleasant.' It cognizes 'painful.' It cognizes 'neither painful nor pleasant.' 'It cognizes, it cognizes': Thus it is said to be 'consciousness.'"

Mahavedalla Sutta
    The same applies to amala. When the Buddha referred to the luminous mind, he generally referred to the citta (but not always). Why? Because the citta is the source or creator of defilement rather than consciousness.
    "Luminous, monks, is the mind.And it is defiled by incoming defilements."

"Luminous, monks, is the mind. And it is freed from incoming defilements."

"Luminous, monks, is the mind. And it is defiled by incoming defilements. The uninstructed run-of-the-mill person doesn't discern that as it actually is present, which is why I tell you that — for the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person — there is no development of the mind."

"Luminous, monks, is the mind. And it is freed from incoming defilements. The well-instructed disciple of the noble ones discerns that as it actually is present, which is why I tell you that — for the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones — there is development of the mind."

Pabhassara Sutta
    :)
    edited December 2009
    Later Buddhists divided mind into various levels; ultimately arriving at 4 levels of mind. So this left 9 levels of consciousness.
    My view on this is the later Buddhists transformed consciousness from mere cognition, as the Buddha taught, into rebirth consciousness, similar to a soul or spirit.

As such, the later Buddhists called any aspect of mind 'consciousness' because this consciousness was required for rebirth.

The later Buddhists came up will all kinds of notions about consciousness that the Buddha did not teach, such as rebirth consciousness, relinking consciousness, storehouse consciousness, continuum of consciousness, alaya consciousness, etc.

If we understand the Buddha only taught consciousness is cognition or sense awareness, then we will not be confused by the propagators of rebirth consciousness.

To the contrary, without these additional kinds of consciousness, all of the post-Buddha rebirth theories
    fall apart.

:lol:
  • edited December 2009
    Dhamma Dhatu,

Good Stuff. I wonder about the translation of Mahadevalla Sutta, because that seems to be describing Vedana; not citta or vijnana. I also wonder about Vi = direct. My understanding is that is functions like dis- in the old sense; indicating a dividing or an intensive. I think vijnana could mean discrimination; or sensory consciousness or be used as a general term for consciousness. I would agree that the 7th, 8th, and 9th should be cittas; not manas. In any language, meanings of similar words get conflated over time.

There are several similar words: sanna / samjna; panna / prajna, jnana, vinnana/ vijnana. These might be cognates of cognate, cognition, diagnosis, gnosis, and know. Jna = gno / gni? Also, vidya, veda, vedana are possible cognates of wit, wisdom, and wiccan; perhaps view, and video as well. Then there is pashya / passa as in vipassana. I do not know of cognates, seems to carry the meaning of cernere {sift, sort} or maybe plere {fill}? Also, lok = look?

I have seen lots of different takes; so I go with non-attachment to definitive views.
    edited December 2009
    I wonder about the translation of Mahadevalla Sutta, because that seems to be describing Vedana; not citta or vijnana.
    Robby

I think the discourse emphasises cognition whilst the translation seems to emphasise the object of cognition. I once listened to Bhikkhu Buddhadasa speak on the five aggregates, who said these paragraphs (such as the following) are very difficult to translate from the Pali:
    Bhikkhus, why do they speak of rupa? Bhikkhus, this nature naturally disintegrates (ruppati, vexed, oppressed), for this reason it is called "rupa." Why does it disintegrate? It disintegrates due to cold, due to heat, due to hunger, due to thirst, and due to the contacts of flies, mosquitoes, wind, sun, and crawling animals. This nature naturally disintegrates, for this reason it is called "rupa."

Bhikkhus, why do they speak of vedana? Bhikkhus, this nature is felt (vedayati), for this reason it is called "vedana." What does it feel? It feels pleasure, pain, and neither-pain-nor-pleasure. Bhikkhus, this nature feels, for this reason it is called "vedana."

Bhikkhus, why do they speak of sanya? Bhikkhus, this nature naturally recognizes (sanjanati, perceives), for this reason it is called "sanya." What does it recognize? It recognizes green, yellow, red, and white. Bhikkhus, this nature naturally recognizes, for this reason it is called "sanya."

Bhikkhus, why do they speak of sankhara? Bhikkhus, this nature naturally concocts concocted things (abhisankharonti), for this reason it is called "sankhara." What does it concoct? It concocts rupa as something concocted with "formness," it concocts vedana as something concocted with "feelingness," it concocts sanya as something concocted with "recognition-ness," it concocts sankhara as something concocted with "concoctingness," it concocts vinyana as something concocted with "cognition-ness." Bhikkhus, this nature naturally concocts concocted things, for this reason it is called "sankhara."

Bhikkhus, why do they speak of vinyana? Bhikkhus, this nature naturally cognizes (vijanati), for this reason it is called "vinyana." What does it cognize? It cognizes sourness, bitterness, spiciness, sweetness, astringency, non-astringency, saltiness, and non-saltiness. Bhikkhus, this nature naturally cognizes, for this reason it is called "vinyana."

Khajjaniya Sutta
    My point is the suttas align consciousness with cognition via the sense organs.
    "And what is consciousness? These six are classes of consciousness: eye-consciousness, ear-consciousness, nose-consciousness, tongue-consciousness, body-consciousness, intellect-consciousness. This is called consciousness.

MN 9, SN 12.2, etc

edited December 2009
    My understanding is that is functions like dis- in the old sense; indicating a dividing or an intensive. I think vijnana could mean discrimination;
    Possibly. I always took 'vi' to have the similar meaning to 'vipassana', namely 'clear'. A certain internet Pali monk advised me it means 'direct' but this may not be correct (nor 'clear').

The Mahadevalla Sutta does align consciousness with wisdom but for me, these are two separate things. Whilst these translations are unreliable (Bhikkhu Bodhi's is different), I think the Mahadevalla Sutta is commenting on the relationship between wisdom & consciousness rather than on consciousness per se. In other words, there is consciousness affected by ignorance that leads to suffering. It follows wisdom & consciousness are not synonymous as the translation of the Mahadevalla Sutta may seem to state.
    "Discernment & consciousness (paññā yañca viññāṇaṃ) are conjoined, friend, not disjoined. It's not possible, having separated them one from the other, to delineate the difference between them. For what one discerns, that one cognizes. What one cognizes, that one discerns. Therefore these qualities are conjoined, not disjoined, and it is not possible, having separated them one from another, to delineate the difference between them."

• edited December 2009
    DD,

I suspect that what the Buddha meant by vinnana would be vi- in the sense of apart or divisions; the same as the vi- in Vinaya. So it would be the 6 categories of sorting things out, the senses and brain. IOW; organic consciousness. Then, with vipassana and visuddhi I think the vi- is an intensive, indicating some spiritual.

However, I think the vijnanvadins took vijnana as an intensive; and to them it meant, in terms of the 7th & 8th, what the Buddha meant by citta. iirc, Cit means to accumulate; as does the ala of alaya. What do you think the Buddha meant by Citta?
    edited December 2009
    What do you think the Buddha meant by Citta?
    Citta is like sankhara khanda. It possesses ignorance or wisdom and constructs mental formations accordingly.

• xabirxabir Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Has any one here had the nature of mind introduced to by a master. I would love to recieve teachings from a master but wouldnt know where to look here in the U.K
    Which city in U.K. do you live in?

http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/country.php?country_id=76
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009

Very well described in the book, MIndfulness, Bliss and Beyond by Ajhan Brahm. I don't have a teacher but I have spoken to the local monks numerous times. None of them gave a description as good as that in the book so its highly recommended
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I put in a request for that book, for Christmas.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Citta is like sankhara khanda. It possesses ignorance or wisdom and constructs mental formations accordingly.

Yup chitta literally means mind. :smilec:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    I put in a request for that book, for Christmas.

Glad to hear that :) I'm sure you won't regret it
  • edited December 2009
    Mano-vijnana is the mind as a sense organ that knows its own objects, including when it is free of objects.

Manas the Buddha did not call consciousness. In Pali, the word for consciousness is vinnana. Vi = direct and nana = knowing. Consciousness is the primal awareness that functions with the sense organs. Consciousnes cannot think. This function of mind that thinks, the Buddha called citta.

Alaya can occur to any consciousness. One can have obscured ear, eye, nose, tongue, body or mind consciousness. The Buddha did not use this term alaya. Why would he? Once the mind is free from kilesa, the six types of consciousness remain functioning. Alaya is a product of the citta rather than consciousness. Whilst consciousness certainly becomes tainted by defilement, it is not necessary to ascribe another kind of consciousness because as I said: Consciousness is direct knowing or cognition. Its function is to cognise.

The same applies to amala. When the Buddha referred to the luminous mind, he generally referred to the citta (but not always). Why? Because the citta is the source or creator of defilement rather than consciousness.

Its interesting to see the different views on mind. I see the mind as a sense organ; but there are other aspects of mind. The one which I speak of from the Tibetan tradition called true nature of mind, this being the pure unspoiled/ un-thinking and un-judging mind. These moments of mind are experienced at subtle levels of meditation and are the seeds of enlightenment.

But are also experienced in day to day life for very brief moments, but according to the Tibetan book of the dead it can only be properly introduced by a master.
  • edited December 2009
    xabir wrote: »

I live in Surrey, just outside of London. Why you ask? (I suppose your link will answer that question lol, just checking it out now)
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I live in Surrey, just outside of London. Why you ask? (I suppose your link will answer that question lol, just checking it out now)
    You should be able to find some centers to go to from the directory :) If you can travel to London, there's probably more choices, but I'm not sure how far is Surrey from London.

I do however recommend avoiding the Dhammakaya Sect and New Kadampa Tradition. More info refer to <cite>www.buddhismaustralia.org/cults.htm</cite>
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Elliott,

You might like to try these Theravada beginners meditation classes which also include some instruction in Buddhism I think there's one in Richmond.

http://www.samatha.org/london/index.php

Kagyu Samye Dzong is a very nice Tibetan Buddhist centre run by really friendly people. You wouldn't have any problem getting there, its near to a tube station.

http://london.samye.org/london/

Kind regards,

Dazzle <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  • edited December 2009
    Robby,

R: This applies to the 'Trace' Awakening. Of course, the inner 'Source' awakening is something we all do alone. The distinction between Source and Trace baffled me for more than 30 years.

S9: Now you have me baffled. : ^ )

Want to share what you figured out?

Respectfully yours,
    S9
  • edited December 2009
    Robby,

R: This applies to the 'Trace' Awakening. Of course, the inner 'Source' awakening is something we all do alone. The distinction between Source and Trace baffled me for more than 30 years.

S9: Now you have me baffled. : ^ )

Want to share what you figured out?

Respectfully yours,
    S9

Due to this chest cold and flu like symptoms, I feel like I got kinked in the citta 心. My brain is reading words out of order; so I hope you do not mind typos. In Tiantai, there is concept called Trace Gate & Source Gate. The latter, the Source Gare relates to original awakening. The former, the, Trace Gate relates to attained or acquired awakening. The Source Gate is the One Vehicle. The Trace Gate is the Three Vehicles teaching. That is just my tentative take.
  • edited December 2009
    Robby,

Thank you for that answer.

I will Google it for more information, and we can talk later.

Take it easy my friend, and don't answer me again (no matter how much I beg) until you feel some better.

; ^ )

Know that I am thinking about you, and wishing you well.

Friendly Regards,
    S9
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Elliott,

This being the cyber age, there are actually a lot of teachings online. We have over 170 video teachings available (free), and most of these are nature of mind teachings of one sort or another. You're welcome to take a look and see what you think. Just go to www.ustream.tv/palyulmedia . (I think that's the right URL - I'm at work and can't get to it from here).

Palzang
  • edited December 2009

Hi Elliot,
    Pointing out instruction is usually related to Dzogchen and Mahamudra.
    The fourth empowerment in any major Vajrayana empowerment is also designed to fulfill this purpose.
    Even in Mahamudra and Dzogchen the pointing out instruction is somewhat ritualized and there are even further elaborations to the practice.
    Usually it is reserved for after one has completed at least some form of preliminary practice but there are certain teachers who give it without the completion of ngondro.
    I have received the pointing out instruction in both the mahamudra and dzogchen traditions. If you want any more info just send me a pm.