Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dangerous meditation?

edited December 2009 in Meditation
I have heard certain meditation can have powerful and even dangerous effects at a deeper level. A friend seems to think in some traditions (dont ask which lol) recomend deep meditation shouldnt be reached until one is over 18.

I even heard it could cause pychological distress. Sorry these are all things I've heard from word of mouth, just curious.

But its interesting that the Tibetan keep many meditation practises deeply secret.

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Elliott wrote: »
    I have heard certain meditation can have powerful and even dangerous effects at a deeper level. A friend seems to think in some traditions (dont ask which lol) recomend deep meditation shouldnt be reached until one is over 18.

I even heard it could cause pychological distress. Sorry these are all things I've heard from word of mouth, just curious.

But its interesting that the Tibetan keep many meditation practises deeply secret.

It is true certain meditations need an experienced teacher to guide you away from the pitfalls of them it just depends what you feel you are ready to take on...if you attempt to tread the path on your own you will fall through all the holes stumbling blindly upon it, instead use a spiritual teacher who knows where all the pot holes are and how to avoid them...this is important to remember when engaging in certain meditations that have a specific purpose in order to alter what is perceived as self.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Some practices can make you sick if you do them incorrectly. But the greatest danger from any practice is that it can increase your pride and arrogance. One people (mistakenly) think they've "got" the answer, they're unteachable.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    jinzang wrote: »
    One people (mistakenly) think they've "got" the answer, they're unteachable.

Yes, I think the only danger of meditation which is not guided is that the meditator might mistakenly think he has achieved something whereas in reality he is far from it. It is easy to get lost and misguided if you do not carefully follow the advice of an experienced person. But if you follow the instructions right and be informed what is what beforehand I don't think there is any danger in it at all.
  • edited December 2009
    I have only been practicing for a couple of months now so call me naive...

But ahmm...what could be dangerous about meditation?

You are sitting there calmly...removing all passing thoughts..sometimes focusing on breathing...other times focusing on the present moment...

HOW can that be dangerous? I don't understand....
  • edited December 2009
    One of the meditation books I use has this caution:
    Anyone who wants to meditate can, but some have psychological needs which are not necessarily met by delving into the labyrinths of the mind unassisted.
    It seems that people who have unpleasant experiences during meditation should seek assistance from an experienced teacher.
  • edited December 2009
    Adolescents already engage in a wide variety of activities which are only suitable for mature adults. They have sex and produce babies so we have children raising children. There are also children taking psychoactive substances. Some of these can can induce visions, or move the mind into more intuitive states. The State of Illinois recently banned a species of sage that can induce states similar to insight. Some of the methods used to obtain enough active ingredient from the raw herb are dangerous. The kids who do the stuff even have watchers to observe newbies.

What I am getting at is that Vajrayana 金剛乗 {jingang jeng, kongo jo}, Tantra 密宗 {mizong, misshu}, 眞言 {shingon} or Esoteric Buddhism 密教 {mijiao, mikkyo} techniques are far less dangerous than things to which children and adolescents already exposed. I do not know of any other forms of meditation that would be considered potentially dangerous. Those are the ones that generally insist that a personal teacher is necessary.

As for a teacher, in the early days of Buddhism, the teachings were not recorded. Writing was apparently deemed to be a crass activity. Later on, after texts were recorded, literacy rates were low. To advance in meditative practice; one needs to know about the different strains; their purpose, how to do them, and what to look for. Even the Buddha had teachers for the Concentration Meditations.

Today, we have books. Literacy rates are much higher. The main problem is finding enough time to study. Then, using that time instead of frittering it away chasing sense desires, indulging our enmity, or having nervous breakdowns. Then figuring out which books are useful to us right now.
  • edited December 2009
    I still do not understand how meditation alone can be dangerous?
    Meaning, people slip into a coma? Meaning, people use it because they think it heals sickness instead of medicine?
    Still unsure.
  • edited December 2009
    Meaning, people slip into a coma? Meaning, people use it because they think it heals sickness instead of medicine?
    Still unsure.

without a teachers guidance meditation can be done incorrectly or in the incorrect order leading not to liberation but to an inflation of the eight worldly concerns.
    also, meditation can be dangerous if it is implemented by people with certain mental illness.
    Tantric meditation is quite dangerous without the guidance of a teacher, empowerment, and thorough understanding of the techniques, history, and symbolism.
  • edited December 2009
    Still unsure.

For normal, healthy people, the only danger is that one might not get everything out of it one can; we can get sidetracked, or waste time.

In general, most schools of Buddhism recognize these levels of concentration. These are preparation or momentary, neighborhood or access, and fixed or full concentration. This is from commentaries, not the Discourses. However, the concept can likely be inferred from the Discourses.

Simply put, most people have fleeting moments of concentration. To do anything sustained, one must get past the Five Blocks or Hindrances. The 5 are sensuality, enmity, apathy, angst, and suspicion. Once we can suspend those for 20 minutes or so, we can reach access samadhi. The danger lies 'there,' in access concentration. Some people have visionary experiences at this level. For some, these can be strange or frightening. Others might get infatuated, or attach too much significance to these 'charisms.'

An article I found on line, "Meditation - The Interesting Quirks of Access Samadhi" is useful.

The important thing, in samatha meditation, is to get beyond access concentration into the meditative absorptions, the rupa jhanas. That is the next level.

Picture an elevator. You have noticed that the elevator exists; and the door opens, but you do not get on board. You start thinking about entering. That is like fleeting or momentary concentration. You finally get past your trepidations and get on board. You ride up and the door opens; but you do not get off. You might be frightened about or marveling at the thrill of the ride. That is like access concentration.

The first floor is the first absorption. This is the same as the first meditative heaven, or the first Brahma Heaven. It has five qualities:

1. Directed or applied attention and investigation.
    2. Arousal of interest and sustained attention.
    3. The mood of fleeting mental joyousness, delight, or rapture.
    4. A more sustained feeling of bliss, or contentment,
    5. One-pointed-ness of concentration.

The arising of these 5 is like getting off the elevator. As the ascending elevator stops, and the door to the first jhana opens, there can be sinking feeling. That can be another danger point.
  • edited December 2009
    It's best, if possible, to go to a beginners meditation class with a meditation teacher. All the main traditions have them.
    Possible experiences can then be discussed with the teacher and the group.

_/\_
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks robby that was some useful info. Does anyone here have any experiences of the higher levls of concentration that robby has spoken of that you could share?
  • edited December 2009
    Thank you all for the replies.

I guess I just take mediation as it is.
    Each day it's a different experience for me. Sometimes it harder to focus than others, sometimes I feel like I am floating, sometimes I feel like I am as sharp as a razor, etc etc. It's always different for me but I have never once been scared or wondered "wow, what the heck was that", I just take it for what it is.

I had originally asked the question because no, I do not have a teacher.
    It's been self taught over the past few months and I have read several books, articles, etc about meditation so going in I kind of expected different feelings,sensations,etc to happen.

I have searched in my area several times but have found nothing close for teachers. So I just read when I have time, and meditate daily, enjoying the experience for what it is, whatever may come of it.
  • edited December 2009
    Elliott wrote: »
    Thanks robby that was some useful info. Does anyone here have any experiences of the higher levls of concentration that robby has spoken of that you could share?

I think the experience is what it is. Most people are not going to talk about their attainments. The teachings help sort out the experiences. The only knowledge I have about dangers of concentration meditation would be at the middle level of concentration, and that appears to depend on a person's temperament. If it happens, it happens, and the aspirant can know it is normal. There have been tests that show shamatha type meditation increases cognitive skills, even for beginners. I do not think we should view fixed concentration as beyond our reach.

On other 'dangers' there is a mindfulness meditation of body meditation called cemetery contemplations. I was told that after the Buddha taught this, some who practiced it became suicidal. IIRC, the Buddha had to teach them to balance those with other contemplations,

I have done a lot of metta and compassion cultivation. This made me very emotional at times; a friend called it drippy. I found it useful to balance that with 'drier' meditations, to keep from becoming too emotional.

Of course, I do not know anything about methods that require empowerments. From the outside, they look a lot like devotional chanting. Devotional chanting can be praying; but mantra chanting can also be a cultivation.
  • edited December 2009
    robby wrote: »

Of course, I do not know anything about methods that require empowerments. From the outside, they look a lot like devotional chanting.

They arent. although devotional chanting does play a role. usually any practice that requires an empowerment will include refuge, bodhicitta, shamatha, vipassana, and the two stages of generation and completion (kye rim and dzog rim) along with dedication of merit and aspiration prayers.
    The sadhana practices that come with empowerments (Tib. wang or jenang ) are meant to be all-inclusive in the sense that they contain all one needs to arrive at the ultimate siddhi of complete and total Buddhahood.
    in my opinion this is one of the most excellent characteristics of Vajrayana, nothing is left out.
  • edited December 2009
    They arent. although devotional chanting does play a role. usually any practice that requires an empowerment will include refuge, bodhicitta, shamatha, vipassana, and the two stages of generation and completion (kye rim and dzog rim) along with dedication of merit and aspiration prayers.
    The sadhana practices that come with empowerments (Tib. wang or jenang ) are meant to be all-inclusive in the sense that they contain all one needs to arrive at the ultimate siddhi of complete and total Buddhahood.
    in my opinion this is one of the most excellent characteristics of Vajrayana, nothing is left out.

An aside, In my entry gate school, we used a mandala, a mantra, and the gassho mudra. They did not call them that back in the day; but they are what they are. Beginners were taught to pray to the mandala to get benefits. More experienced members were taught to chant to fuse with mandala and cultivate the qualities it embodies.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    There are meditation techniques that can be psychologically dangerous if you attempt to practice them without an experienced teacher. Kundalini yoga (not Buddhist, but just saying) is a good example. It can bring up stuff that can unbalance an unstable mind and drive the person insane. There are some tantric meditations that can do the same thing. That's why it's important to do them under the guidance of someone who knows what they're doing.

As for zazen style meditation, vipassana/shamata, there isn't much risk really. There can be, but usually it's people who are on the brink of mental illness anyway who may find themselves driven over the edge by meditation as meditation relaxes the mind, so if someone is only holding it together by suppressing their emotions or whatever, relaxing the mind can allow that stuff to surface. I've seen it happen, but it's pretty rare. But for most people, this kind of meditation is a very rewarding and relaxing experience that is most beneficial and doesn't require any particular guidance.

Palzang
  • edited December 2009
    ...what could be dangerous about meditation?
    I can't speak for others, but I've meditated myself mildly insane before. Non-drug induced trances. Sleep deprivation, fasting, throat-singing, meditation, and thoughts being lead towards certain ways can alter the mind towards accepting falsehoods as truths and inflated sense of courage, enlightenment, etc. I've never ran into any real danger because of it, but I have neglected social tact and other people's feelings by improper practice (as well as making a fool of myself).
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Well, everything in moderation, as they say. The Middle Way.

Palzang