Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Samatha breathe methods

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited December 2009 in Meditation
I am sorry for this if it seems pointless but.

Is there anyone else who practices anapanasati observing sensations in their nose? This technique is what I used to use and I had success with it but I sort of forgot to meditate over the years anyways; I have heard it taught all the time.

Comments

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    As far as I know, it doesn't matter where you watch the breath but it is best if you do not locate the breath anywhere in the body but rather focus on the "experience of breathing". When you breathe in, watch the experience and the whole sensation of the in-breath. Same for the out breath
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Shanyin,

There's an article on Anapanasati by Ven Ajahn Sumedho of the Theravada Thai forest tradition which might be helpful:

http://www.amaravati.org/abm/english/documents/nowisknow/03ana.html

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited December 2009
    shanyin wrote: »
    Is there anyone else who practices anapanasati observing sensations in their nose?
    Hi

This is a very good technique for developing samatha or calmness. If one can practise it, it is fine. If the breath becomes very fine and difficult to feel, just place a finger above the top lip for a while to allow the mind to redevelop familiarity with the sensation.

Kind regards

:)
  • edited December 2009
    I attend a samatha/vipassana group. There are many stages of following the breath that the taecher introduces to you each week.

First we count, as you breathe in mentally count to 9 and time the breath with 9, and on the way out count back down to 1. They go as follows:

The longest of counting (1-9, 9-1)
    The longer (1-6...)
    The shorter (1-3...)
    The shortest (just 1 on the in and 1 on the out)

The next stages I havnt reached yet but I think they are as follows:

The longest of following (Follow the breath through your body with the longest breath, no counting)
    The longer"......."
    The shorter "........"
    The shortest "......"

The longest of sensation (feel the breath enter your nostrils and be mindful of the sensation)

etc......

I would recomend finding a teacher of Samatha/Vippassana before attempting the practise in any depth, for now maybe just do the longest of counting or just be mindful of the breath until you find a group.

Hope this was of some help.
  • edited December 2009
    Watching the breaths flow in and out of the nostrils appears to be the most preferred subject of concentration in samatha meditation.

People who are uncomfortable with this can try concentrating on the rise and fall of the abdomen. Maybe this will also suit sinus sufferers who might want to move their attention away from this source of irritation.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited December 2009
    thank you for the help; the reason I asked is because I havnt had alot of success in my meditation lately and I find myself questioning my method; i sort of forgot how to do it; perhaps this is the hinderance of doubt. thank you!
  • edited December 2009
    shanyin,

Often people begin watching breath within a certain part of the body, usually where it seems more natural for them to feel it, because this is a little like keeping a dog on a leash so it won’t get away from you. The mind wanders so easily in the beginning, and must be gently trained.

Some people rest a hand on their belly in order to feel it rising and falling with each breath. This also makes one inclined to breathe a bit deeper, which is healthful. Most people chest breath, take in small breaths without realizing it, which causes both anxiety and a general lack of oxygen in their system.

I find it interesting that the scientists learned recently that deep breathing releases dopamine into our system, and make us feel really good. However forcing deep and too rapidly breathing over a longer period than say a count of 20 is called hyperventilating, and it may make you feel dizzy.

Later, when you are more experienced, you will be able to watch your breath without either counting or finding it in a nostril. It will be more like sitting beside a river and letting it go.

Some people say this (letting breath go) is good preparation for how we must learn to live, keeping a vigilant eye on things, but without interfering in them (Wu Wei).

Warm regards,
    S9
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    @S9: OK, I know what you were asking about the other day with the watching the river and wu wei. Yes, it's very similar to that.
  • edited December 2009
    Fivebells,

I am an elderly person, and my short-term memory isn’t near what it used to be.

Please refresh me as to what your statement here, is referring. I certainly wouldn’t want to miss out on something that you, in your kindness, have given some thought to.

Thanks,
    S9
    edited December 2009
    <a href="http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?p=75146">This conversation over here</a>, where you asked me whether what I was talking about was like "sitting beside the river" or "wu-wei."
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks fivebells,

S9 sings: "We get by with a little help from our friends."

I reread that conversation.

As Dr Spock said, "Very interesting."

Smiles,
    S9
  • edited December 2009
    I too have problems with breath meditation.

Anyway, vestibular disease is one of my primary ailments. I experience such things as vertigo, transient blindness, sinus pressure, tinnitus {ear ringing}, and severe loss of balance; followed ny nausea. Both the breath and abdomen foci tend to trigger really bad attacks.

One of my solutions is to focus on my hands, posture, and brow first. After I feel more grounded then shift to the rise and fall of my abdomen; then to my breath.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited December 2009
    So the technique that leads to jhana is observing the sensations?
    edited December 2009
    The key thing with jhana is letting go. Some people can learn to let go using just samatha meditation. Some people need other practices.
  • edited December 2009
    Robby,

I am just curious about something. Have you ever tried breathing into the area, where you feel your physical problem resides during meditation? If you did, how did that feel?

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited December 2009
    Shanyin,

S: So the technique that leads to jhana is observing the sensations?

S9: Sensations in the body are just a good place to focus while you are letting go, (AKA relaxing and then later more metaphysical in explanation. We can't jump from beginners level into a PhD program, without some investment on our part).

In a way sensations give you a thing to hold onto, and finally let go of, that is more one-pointed than just a general letting go, at least at first.

Best not to observe your sensations in general. Notice which one jumps out at you, and zero in on it. Often which sensation grabs your attention will change over time, and become more subtle as/well.

What you are learning is a skill. It has a beginning level, and a more advanced level, like any skill. This isn't magic.

But each level is very rewarding.

Peace IS a skill, until we Realize that it is who we are. : ^ )

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited December 2009
    shanyin wrote: »
    So the technique that leads to jhana is observing the sensations?

Try this link, a letter on "Mindfulness of Breathing" ... don't know if it will answer your question, though:

http://www.dhammastudy.com/WIBS6.html

:)