Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How is nirvana different than annihilation?

edited December 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I was going to post this on e-sangha, but something happened to those forums, so I guess I'm posting this here. First I'd like to say hi to the commnity!

If there is no self, what is nirvana; what is it that is experiencing this nirvana? I come from a hindu upbringing and there's a similar idea in hinduism, that there is no ego, and to a certain extent even atman, and the only "real" thing is the brahma of your atman.

Well if you do the same annihilation of ego in buddhism, the thing is there is no "absolute/permanent" to fall back on, leaving you with nothing but non-existance? Kindof like we're all living in a dream, and in hinduism its the dream of a brahman, but in buddhism its no one's dream, so why would you want to "escape" the dream, if there is nothing else?

I've had several dreams with characters in them, and I'm sure if they had a choice, they would rather continue their existence rather than be annihilated when I woke up... I don't know I'm just really confused, any wisdom would be kindly appreciated!

Comments

• jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    What you are never changes. Only your understanding of it changes. When your understanding is completely correct, that is nirvana. What that is neither you or I can understand at this time. Giving it a name is not the same as understanding.
  • edited December 2009
    jinzang wrote: »
    What you are never changes. Only your understanding of it changes. When your understanding is completely correct, that is nirvana. What that is neither you or I can understand at this time. Giving it a name is not the same as understanding.
    O.o I thought buddha taught the truth (understanding of nirvana included), and we can COMPREHEND the truth but are not awaken because we didn't EXPERIENCE the truth

EDIT: and what I meant in the op was that if when we are "awake" we are nothing, why not just live in the dream? Ignorance is bliss?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    EDIT: and what I meant in the op was that if when we are "awake" we are nothing, why not just live in the dream? Ignorance is bliss?

Ignorance is dukkha. This is the main teaching of the Buddha. When ignorance ceases so too does dukkha. You are misunderstanding the idea of "self" and the idea of "anatta." The Buddha taught that there is nothing permanent which is fit to be clung to as self/I/mine. Our minds simply create a self-concept through clinging to various things (thoughts, material objects, relationships, etc.). These things are all impermanent and thus ultimately dukkha when clung to. So:
    If there is no self, what is nirvana; what is it that is experiencing this nirvana?

The aggregates do not cease to exist upon realizing Nibbana. As Dhamma Dhatu put it, one who has achieved Nibbana is PURE aggregates. There is simply no clinging to them as "self."
  • edited December 2009

The aggregates do not cease to exist upon realizing Nibbana. As Dhamma Dhatu put it, one who has achieved Nibbana is PURE aggregates. There is simply no clinging to them as "self."
    Thank you for the answer!

Hmm what about after death, I don't know I heard that one who reaches nibbana is not reborn, which was one of the points of obtaining nibbana, but there's also a state where one is affected by past karma?

After one has reached nibbana and has died, the subtle mind is not reborn again, and the subtle mind is annhilated? Does one come into unity with the aggregates, such as taught in hinduism?
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Thank you for the answer!

Hmm what about after death, I don't know I heard that one who reaches nibbana is not reborn, which was one of the points of obtaining nibbana, but there's also a state where one is affected by past karma?

After one has reached nibbana and has died, the subtle mind is not reborn again, and the subtle mind is annhilated? Does one come into unity with the aggregates, such as taught in hinduism?

Who knows? We can try to answer this question from an unenlightened state, but that's all it is - - a try. Buddhism is about finding out for ourselves.

If you want the answer ... do your practice diligently and be patient.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Nirvana is not a final goal. Nirvana and Samsara are two sides of one coin. The perception of non-arising depends on the perception of arising, and the perception of arising depends on the perception of non-arising.

Nibbana on the other hand is a final goal, but it cannot be reduced to categories of being or non-being.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited December 2009
    If there is no self, what is nirvana; what is it that is experiencing this nirvana?
    The Buddhist scriptures clearly & unambiguously have defined Nirvana as the here & now cessation of greed, hatred & delusion.

Nirvana is not anihilation. The ending of ego in the mind is the awakening of its spiritual faculties.

The end of ego is not 'death' but 'life'.

:)
  • edited December 2009
    The Buddhist scriptures clearly & unambiguously have defined Nirvana as the here & now cessation of greed, hatred & delusion.

Nirvana is not anihilation. The ending of ego in the mind is the awakening of its spiritual faculties.

The end of ego is not 'death' but 'life'.

:)

Nicely explained, Thanks DD.

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited December 2009
    There is some ambiguity and differences among the different traditions, that usually result in collapsing these definitions into our own tradition. Nirvana means different things in different traditions. Freedom now is a good pan-buddhist definition.

But scratch the surface....

I was taught in Zen that in practice we realize the unity of Nirvana and Samsara now. This pointedly includes all the defilements precisely as they are.

I was taught by Theravada teachers to practice in order to uproot defilements in order to realize Nibbana.

Which teacher was right? I vote both.