Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reconciling my God with Buddhism

edited August 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I am a recovered addict who knows that God is in me today. I work a twelve step recovery programme and I have recently found my way to the teachings of Buddha through the practice of meditation. ( suggested in the eleventh step).

Can i continue to believe in God (my higher power) and become a buddhist?
Would be very grateful for views.

Thank you

Seamus

Comments

• edited August 2005
    You can definitely believe in God and still be a Buddhist. I am sure someone can go into more details for you on this subject since I am a "newbie", but from what I know, Buddhists can believe in God, Jesus, etc....Being a Buddhist is all about finding the right path for yourself, and if that means believing in God, then great!

Welcome to the site! You will love it here!
  • edited August 2005
    shaymaca wrote:
    I am a recovered addict who knows that God is in me today. I work a twelve step recovery programme and I have recently found my way to the teachings of Buddha through the practice of meditation. ( suggested in the eleventh step).

Thank you

Seamus

Hello!

My name is Adiana and I am also a recovering alcoholic. I have been sober for seven years. I am also in a 12-step program.

I am also a Wiccan of the Correllian Tradition in addition to being a Nichiren Buddhist. I was brought up in the Baptist faith from when I was a young child. However, I had a hard time with the doctrines so after finding Wicca, I decided since it is an Earth-based belief that it was what I wanted. Then, I found Nichiren Buddhism. I was also drawn to this particular sect of Buddhism as well as Wicca. What I like about both beliefs is that neither belief says that I cannot practice whatever other form of belief I wish to as well as these beliefs. I like that. I also have Christian friends that practice all different sects of Buddhism as well as their particular form of Christianity. They seem to have been able to reconcile the two beliefs and that is great. I don't know if I answered your question or not, but I wanted to say welcome and I also look forward to getting to know you better.

Adiana :smilec: :smilec: :bigclap: :bigclap:
  • edited August 2005
    shaymaca wrote:

Thank you

Seamus

I'm an atheist and even I agree that Buddhism has plenty of room for theists like yourself :smilec:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2005
    It's OK because I have it on good authority that God is Buddhist. I saw it on South Park!

:)

Palzang
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Welcome. Buddhism doesn't hate God. Buddhism doesn't hate anyone.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Palzang wrote:
    It's OK because I have it on good authority that God is Buddhist. I saw it on South Park!

:)

Palzang

But that means the Mormons are right.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I just saw that episode tonight.

Michael
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Well, the Mormons must be right. Just ask any of the hundreds roaming around Mongolia looking for converts! :crazy:

Palzang
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2005
    Synchronicity!
  • edited August 2005
    All these replies may be warm and fuzzy, but are they in line with Dhamma and are they helpful? A strong attachment to God, from a buddhist point of view, may actually be detrimental. One only needs to consider the motives behind the recent suicide bombers.

It's true that Buddhism includes God or Brahma in its cosmology, but this God is also subject to impermanence and not the Creator of Christian mythology. He did not refer to the belief of a Creator often but when he did, he was not very complimentery:
    "He who has eyes can see the sickening sight, Why does not God set his creatures right?
    If his wide power no limit can restrain, Why is his hand so rarely spread to bless?
    Why are his creatures all condemned to pain? Why does he not to all give happiness?
    Why do fraud, lies, and ignorance prevail? Why triumphs falsehood -- truth and justice fail?
    I count your God one among the unjust , who made a world in which to shelter wrong." ~ Bhuridatta Jataka"

For more info regarding this topic see
    http://www.parami.org/buddhistanswers/what_about_god.htm
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    PJ. Pilgrim, Dharma brother,

You make a very good point. 'Strong' attachment is certainly unskillful, although we know that attachment is in the nature of samsara.

The Shakyamuni made few allusions to any notion of Supreme Being, although he often referred to deities. It is the Supreme Being idea that presents the greatest stumbling-block by presenting an uncreated 'being' as 'creator'. Even Christians are beginning to find the traditional notions of omniscience, etc., hard to take, developing new theologies such as "sea of faith" or "open" theology which approaches non-theism.

In Tibetan Buddhism, there is no outright rejection of 'deities' and 'spirits', particularly as protectors. These are as transient as any other being on the Wheel.
  • edited August 2005
    Dear All

Thank you for your replies. They were very thoughtful. I am heartened by what i have heard. I think it possible to have a god of my understanding and to engage with dhamma. They would both have me come from a place of love and understanding if that makes sense.

My experience is that God is in me as in everyone and everything. I spent many years unable to access or to know this.

Adiana i am encouraged that there are others who have knowledge of the twelve step programme.

I look forward to understanding more

Seamus
    Good to hear Adiana.