Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Vippassna

feefee
edited August 2005 in Buddhism Basics
A friend of mine did a course (10 days) in this and has been telling me how good it was. I was wondering whether anyone here has experienced it and whether you think it might be worthwhile doing.

My biggest problem is that I am a smoker- and I'd have to stop.....! I also like to talk a lot but could contain myself for the ten days

Comments

• edited August 2005
    Your friend probably went for a course in the tradition of SN Goenka. I haven't been for a course but I haven't met anyone who went and regretted it.
    For info on the course see: http://www.vri.dhamma.org/ and http://www.dhamma.org/
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Go for it, Fee!
  • feefee
    edited August 2005
    PJ - that's the one. Thanks.
    Simon, I don't know if I could actually do it though. Not smoking would kill me (although smoking will eventually kill me anyway.....). But it is something I would like to do. I also need to find the ten days. Perhaps I can let my son stay with my soon-to-be-ex husband for the period?

Does it really have such an affect on people? Is it really something I could use in everyday life?
  • feefee
    edited August 2005
    PJ I forgot to tell you I have been in touch with the monastery you mentioned and they said I could visit anytime. Thanks for that.
  • ajpajp
    edited August 2005
    fee wrote:
    Does it really have such an affect on people? Is it really something I could use in everyday life?

I only know of one person who's done one, but they found it very beneficial. I think any chance to do some intensive meditation is helpful..gives you a chance to really get a taste of it. On the other hand, I do know a heavy smoker who had difficulty sticking out a one day zen sesshin!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I have no doubt that you can do it, Fee. It will be hard, like climbing Everest, and as gentle as a country walk. Nothing can fully prepare one for the first experience of discipline and silence.

It is a wonderful. wonder-filled experience which does have life-changing potential.

You will find non-smoking hard and, potentially, distracting but you won't have been the first retreatant in that situation. You will be part of a sangha of smokers who, across tens of thousands of days of retreat, have confronted the same demon! And there'll be others with their own obsessing compulsions to torment them.
  • feefee
    edited August 2005
    Hello again

Can anyone tell me where Vippassana fits in - is it Zen Buddhism? I'm not sure where I got that idea, but if anyone can enlighten (ha ha funny word to use here) me I'd be grateful.

Thanks
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2005
    Vipassana is Pali for insight.

"There are two forms of wisdom: mundane and supramundane. Nowadays, knowledge of literature, art, science, or other worldly affairs is usually regarded as a kind of wisdom, but this form of wisdom has nothing to do with any kind of mental development (bhavana). Nor can it be regarded as of real merit, because many weapons of destruction are invented through these kinds of knowledge, which are always under the influence of attachment, aversion, and other evil motives. The real spirit of mundane wisdom, on the other hand, has only merits and no demerits of any kind. True mundane wisdom includes the knowledge used in welfare and relief work, which causes no harm; learning to acquire the knowledge of the true meaning or sense of the scriptures; and the three classes of knowledge of development for insight (vipassana-bhavana), such as knowledge born of learning (sutamaya-pañña), knowledge born of reflection (cintamaya-pañña), and wisdom born of meditative development (bhavanamaya-pañña). The virtue of possessing mundane wisdom will lead to a happy life in higher states of existence, but it still cannot prevent the risk of being reborn in hell or in other states of miserable existence. Only the development of supramundane wisdom (lokuttara-pañña) can decidedly remove this risk.

Supramundane wisdom is the wisdom of the path and fruit. To develop this wisdom it is necessary to carry on the practice of insight meditation (vipassana-bhavana) out of the three disciplines of morality, concentration, and wisdom. When the virtue of wisdom is duly developed, the necessary qualities of morality and concentration will also be acquired."

~ http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/bps/wheels/wheel370.html Insight through Mindfulness by The Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw
  • edited August 2005
    how interesting!

has anyone here heard anything about the Illinois Vipassana Meditation Center?