Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

new to meditation

edited March 2010 in Meditation
i've tried meditating. i've also tried meditating under the influence of psilocybin (magic mushrooms). the time i was on magic mushrooms was insanely awesome. it was like i could turn on a light in my heart. i could also just contemplate things with powerful insight. it felt like i had excellent control of my awareness, i felt like my awareness was a muscle, and i could flex it at will and in addition select its target without distraction. it was crazy. but when i try to meditate now, nothing awesome happens, my mood barely changes, i don't have any revelations, i have a hard time grasping the concept of self or the concept of egolessness. it's just a boring, unproductive experience. i'm assuming i am doing it wrong.

so my question is, what is a good place to START learning about meditation? i've seen videos on youtube and a couple random web pages, they all say things about meditation, but i feel like there has to be something that would help me learn the practical basics.

does anyone know a reputable begginner's advice source?

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Mindfulness in Plain English is a good place to start.

However, the lack of peak experiences do not imply that you're doing it wrong. You can expect it to be pretty boring. When that happens, it's interesting to look at the boredom...
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Doh....taking hallucigenics isnt the point.
    To meditate properly you dont take them at all, any experience with hallucigenics is nothing more then a hallucination.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    If you're feeling bored and frustrated when you meditate, I'd say you're off to a good start. That's the usual experience. Practice requires patience and a long term outlook.
  • edited December 2009
    hahaha ok i see how this works. by the way i'm high right now. it's awesome, it just intensifies your mental senses, which is cool cuz you can just observe them and their nature, know what i mean?
    edited December 2009
    In terms of conventional Buddhist goals, that's actually quite counterproductive. But I'm glad you're enjoying yourself.
  • edited December 2009
    i looked up mushrooms on wikipedia and found this:
    Pharmacology

Psilocybin is rapidly dephosphorylated in the body to psilocin which then acts as a partial agonist at the 5-HT<sub>2A</sub> serotonin receptor in the brain where it mimics the effects of serotonin (5-HT). Psilocin is an 5-HT<sub>1A</sub> and 5-HT<sub>2A/2C</sub> agonist.<sup id="cite_ref-39" class="reference">[40]</sup> The psychotomimetic effects of psilocin can be blocked in a dose-dependent fashion by the 5-HT2A antagonists ketanserin and risperidone.<sup id="cite_ref-Vollenweider1998_40-0" class="reference">[41]</sup> Psilocybin and psilocybin analogues have been used to help model the structure of the 5-HT<sub>2C</sub> G-protein coupled receptor.<sup id="cite_ref-41" class="reference">[42]</sup>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin

i don't know enough yet to be sure, so this is kind of a guess, but maybe serotonin is a chemical that serves as a mulitpurpose catalyst of mental processes. assuming that point of view, i would say marijuana and mushrooms differ in that with marijuana you have less control over which mental processes occur. but if you guys are into observing the mind and how it works, i hope you don't have a reason to NOT try these drugs. I think they are amazing and useful and could help you if you desire to know more about the mind.
    <sup id="cite_ref-41" class="reference"></sup>
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Saying you had an awesome meditation while on mushrooms is kinda like saying you're awesome at the drums in Rockband. A simulated experience does not substitute for years of practice.

As long as you're just doing the video game version, you'll never know the difference.
  • edited December 2009
    you falsely assume that you know the experience to which i refer.

i got high today (marijuana) and wrote all this down:
    maybe cannabinoid receptors are markers on the braincell to attract
    (chemical) energy to a part of the brain that executes a specific
    brain function. parts of the brain that are used often build up more
    cannabinoid receptors. parts of the brain that are not used often lose
    cannabinoid receptors. in this way, our genome adapts our brain to our
    environment. that is the reason that the specific kind of energy that
    is "life" exists in this moment in spacetime. the very nature of
    "life" is proliferation. energy natures that gradually affect the
    chaos into near replicas of itself.

behaviors are not reality, they are just events (behavior means an
    observation of similarity in the nature of adjacent points in
    spacetime)
    they do not represent the nature of reality. only of a sample of
    infinity. and its in spacetime, aka a manifestation.
    humans are themselves a behavior. a behavior that has been at low
    levels of fluctuation for a long time).

a model of energy:
    there are particles. they appear in particle moves at the speed of
    light, but in random directions. collisions between particles create
    reflections or .
    there is emptiness. the "negative" of the positive that is "energy".
    the universe is the interaction between energy and other energy. the
    universe can be described by the word infinity. its nature can be
    described by yin yang.
    what is the nature of consciousness?
    my idea was changing as i wrote all that.
    what is love? compassion? an area in the spectrum of energy that will
    always proliferate? infinitely alternating vibration, force in every
    direction/dimensioin/aspect of infinity of spacetime

there is emptiness and there is a substance that reflects itself

is the nature of everything infinity? infinity does not have a nature.
    i just sent this to raffy on fb:

i'm trying to complicate my model of the true nature of reality. it is
    impossible to understand it completely for it is infinity.
    enlightenment must not be an understanding.
    it is important while reading this to realize that these are just
    words i'm typing occasionally. my thoughts seem infinite.

something within our heart is a center for something energy related
    edited December 2009
    You falsely assume that you know the experience to which i refer.
    Right back at ya'.
  • edited December 2009
    i believe my experience of meditation was consistent with sober monks' experiences, from what i've heard about them.
    edited December 2009
    from what i've heard about them.
    Indeed.
    edited December 2009
    questionful: Having reached the state the monks talk about and experienced a marijuana high, I can tell you now, you're dead wrong. In the marijuana high, you're still chasing after sensory pleasure.
  • edited December 2009
    i reached a good meditative state on the mushrooms.

on marijuana, i observe my senses.
  • edited December 2009
    although yesterday i was having good contemplation while on marijuana. i believe contemplation is a sense, but one that does not cause attachment.
    if while on marijuana, you manage to focus the intensity of only your contemplative sense, you can contemplate very effectively without chasing after sensory pleasure.
    or maybe i'm wrong, because i was thinking yesterday, every idea is false. the very nature of an idea is a "simplification", less than the actual subject of the idea. maybe having an idea or "understanding" of things IS a pleasure.
    i'm very confused about many things still. i want to reach enlightenment goddamnit!
    edited December 2009
    Don't worry about enlightenment, just do the practice. Preferably not under the influence of an intoxicant. :)
  • edited December 2009
    questionful,

There is a part of our self, which we have grown estranged from. Some people call it our Buddha Nature.

When we sit down to meditate; that is the part of us that we are looking to become reacquainted with.

Buddha Nature is very unassuming and gentle, and lives in stillness and satisfaction. We are starving to be reacquainted with it. It is that hollowness you feel inside.

Perhaps that is why, no matter what we normally do in our daily life, we cannot seem to fill this emptiness in us. Simply because mind is not the right tool, and leads us in the wrong direction.

One of the reasons that we have lost touch with our Buddha Nature is because, our mind is so boisterous and noisy, and constantly demanding of center stage, that we have trouble seeing around it. Mind constantly seduces us with pleasure (bells and whistles), and when we grow tired of the temporary pleasures that it offers, it then distracts us with pain.

Mind is not a bad fellow. He just has an over estimation of his own importance and capacity. ; ^ )

When we sit down to meditate this “dog and pony show” doesn’t just stop, immediately. The mind screams “I’m bored!” and “Where are the bells and whistles?”

But given time, I guarantee you, that you will come to feel the richness beyond mind, and it (at last) will fill you up.

Keep on trucking,
    S9
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited December 2009
    you falsely assume that you know the experience to which i refer.

i got high today (marijuana) and wrote all this down:

You make the false assumption that I dont know the experience to which you refer. My generation was the "hippy generation". I tried every type of drugs, including the mushrooms.

I had been meditating from childhood and had, after years, come to the point where I sometimes had some pretty incredible meditations.

So when my peer group started to experiment, so did I. I never did any drugs more than once ... because the drug-experiences were so bland and one-dimensional compared to some of my meditation experiences. Now, if I hadnt had those meditation experiences, I would have been blown away by the drug experiences.
  • edited December 2009
    did you meditate when you were on the mushrooms?
    the experience you receive from a drug depends on many things. I decided to try a kind of meditation i had seen a video about on youtube. focus on nothing but energy flowing from your heart or whatever. when i'm sober and try to meditate i can't stop focusing on random things that pop up but on the mushrooms i was able to control my focus with great ease.

S9, i will keep on trucking. the other day i sat down for a few minutes and though i didn't feel anything extraordinary, i definitely had much less mental noise than the last time i had tried it.
  • edited December 2009
    questionful,

Yes, when the mental noise quiets down, to a dull roar, your life will also become more enriched in many little ways.

You will notice more, and deal with things/people more peacefully. Life will become more pleasant as a whole. Not as exciting as a mushroom trip, perhaps, but certainly worth perusing.

And, that is just entry level.

S9
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited December 2009
    did you meditate when you were on the mushrooms?
    the experience you receive from a drug depends on many things. I decided to try a kind of meditation i had seen a video about on youtube. focus on nothing but energy flowing from your heart or whatever. when i'm sober and try to meditate i can't stop focusing on random things that pop up but on the mushrooms i was able to control my focus with great ease.

No, I never meditated when I tried drugs.

I fully understand about random things popping up while trying to meditate ... this is a universal experience. Learn to concentrate, to focus ... this is the mind-training purpose of meditation. The goal is to learn how to control your mind ... using drugs to achieve focus is no more learning how to control your mind yourself than using a wheelchair is learning how to walk.

As far as "peak experiences" from meditation, as satisfying and pleasant as they are ... we are told that they are not the goal of meditation, nor even indication of spiritual progress. Being impermanent in nature, they are not the Truth because the Truth cannot be impermanent.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    ...when i'm sober and try to meditate i can't stop focusing on random things that pop up but on the mushrooms i was able to control my focus with great ease.
    I agree with what Foible is saying. In my understanding, the effort to pull one's mind away from the random thinking and back to the breath is an important part, in and of itself, of the practice of meditation. It's like the weight lifting part of physical fitness training.

Training the mind requires effort and it sounds like you're expending the least possible amount of effort when you're meditating on shrooms.

See what we mean, Jellybean? :D
  • edited December 2009
    questionful,

When you first start meditating and notice all of the mind chatter, that is not a failure on your part. Noticing all of the chatter is the first lesson.

Most people have no idea how crazy monkey-mind is.

The next step is to be gently persistent about bringing yourself back from getting lost in the chatter. So that in a way, the second lesson is to learn not to be too hard on yourself when you do wander, to forgive this, and simply to persist.

We all traveled this way in the beginning. There is nothing innately wrong with you. This IS the process.

Loving wishes to you,
    S9
  • edited January 2010
    questionful-I've known some pretty tragic people in my life who thought they were philosophers while on hallucinogens. I PROMISE you what you think are meditative experiences are nothing more than drug induced LIES. All psilocybin is is a drug no better or more enlightening than coffee, heroin, LSD, ecstasy, tobacco, cough syrup, or aspirin! I have been exactly where you are right now, thinking that psychedelics will lead to enlightenment. What you are doing is the total opposite of meditation. Meditation entails restraint, and discipline. This is why you must sort out the mental chatter on your own without drugs.

I'm not saying anything bad about psychedelics or marijuana, if you want to go to a concert and enjoy them or hang out with friends and do them, that's fine in infrequent moderation(not smoking weed every day mind you!). But you must realize that it's not going to lead to any spiritual progress whatsoever! You'll be irritable and worse off than when you started once the marijuana runs out. It is pretty well known that marijuana will cause you to accept the things that come up in your mind uncritically. This is why a lot of creative people smoke marijuana. Their self-critics are numbed while stoned, but those ideas and visions are perfectly attainable and more clearly understood when you aren't stoned. Marijuana or mushrooms doesn't "give" you any ideas, it simply "unlocks" them. You can unlock them on your own, and you should practice unlocking them on your own if you want to make any lasting progress.
    All that is is creative thinking, though. Meditation is not simply a practice of creative thinking or relaxtion.
    It is an exercise of the mind, and a direct experience of non-duality. Any ideas that come up from them should be examined critically. You shouldn't just think "well if I thought it, it must be right." Everything needs to be critically examined, and marijuana and mushrooms detracts from your ability to do that.

The fact that you were bored and irritated when you tried meditation for real is a GOOD thing. That is how it should be. You can't expect enlightenment after meditation for a week, or a month, or even a year. And you shouldn't be expecting it at all. Just like you can't expect to bench press 250lbs if you just started going the gym a month ago.
  • edited January 2010
    There is a saying: Maybe similar to what Adam is pointing out.

"When the God's want to punish someone, first they take them up to heaven and then send them back to earth."

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited January 2010
    ^Indeed! Although once that heavenly high fades away going back to earth seems more hellish than you ever remember it being.

I'm just trying to help him because I too was a daily toker as well as a harder drug user, and tripped on many occasions, so I can totally understand where he's coming from. The dharma is much more profound and worthwhile than chasing a buzz my friend!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    The purpose of meditation is not to be a good meditator. The purpose is to have a better life while we are not meditating because we develope morality, perseverance, and generosity and many other qualities.

Your description of the awareness as a muscle that you have control of is inacurate in my opinion. Thats one point. Contrast this with prajnaparamita in which the giver is undifferentiated from the receiver (in giving) or the meditator drops away and is pure awareness (in samadhi). Both of those are my guesses as a noob. I am not a guru teacher lama. But I tend to doubt that enlightenment is as simple as a drug.

For one thing enlightenment is partially about getting past this illusory idea of a self and an other. You have stated that in order to have an enlightening experience a self must ingest a mushroom. That means that your experience of enlightenment is conditional upon a substance (and thereby a state of mind). The sutras state that nirvana is unconditional. Meaning nirvana can be anywhere. Any body. In any state of mind. Any beliefs. Any realm. You can find nirvana in your boredom as easily as in expansive euphoric states.
  • edited January 2010
    Adam99 wrote: »
    questionfulAll psilocybin is is a drug no better or more enlightening than coffee, heroin, LSD, ecstasy, tobacco, cough syrup, or aspirin!
    Depending on what you mean by enlightening, I would argue that your claim depends on how one uses the trip. Did you ever try meditating while on mushrooms?
    "When the God's want to punish someone, first they take them up to heaven and then send them back to earth."
    Adam99 wrote: »
    ^Indeed! Although once that heavenly high fades away going back to earth seems more hellish than you ever remember it being.
    Then the gods must not have wanted to punish me. Coming back to earth was great, as it is for many ingesters of the mushroom.
    [quote=Johns Hopkins researchers]In the study, more than 60 percent of subjects described the effects of psilocybin in ways that met criteria for a “full mystical experience” as measured by established psychological scales. One third said the experience was the single most spiritually significant of their lifetimes; and more than two-thirds rated it among their five most meaningful and spiritually significant. Griffiths says subjects liken it to the importance of the birth of their first child or the death of a parent.
    Two months later, 79 percent of subjects reported moderately or greatly increased well-being or life satisfaction compared with those given a placebo at the same test session. A majority said their mood, attitudes and behaviors had changed for the better. Structured interviews with family members, friends and co-workers generally confirmed the subjects’ remarks. Results of a year-long followup are being readied for publication.
    [/quote]

Jeffrey wrote: »
    You have stated that in order to have an enlightening experience a self must ingest a mushroom.
    I did not state that. That would be denying that one could have an "enlightening" experience any other way. I was simply saying that my mushroom trip was super cool.

You guys do make some valid points, I am simply addressing the ones I think are invalid.
    edited January 2010
    I find weed quite useful for meditation, actually. Not during the high, though. The next day, it makes me extremely depressed. Meditating in that state of mind is like strapping on a 20 kilo pack and doing a 20 mile hike in the heat.
  • edited January 2010
    Depending on what you mean by enlightening, I would argue that your claim depends on how one uses the trip. Did you ever try meditating while on mushrooms?

Then the gods must not have wanted to punish me. Coming back to earth was great, as it is for many ingesters of the mushroom.

1. Yes! lol I agree that you get crazy rushing thoughts, and lots of interesting things happen, but that type of mental activity is not the point of meditation. Especially when you are just starting to meditate. What makes you think that the rushing thoughts from a mushroom experience are any more valid than the rushing thoughts you get from a cocaine or amphetamine or ecstasy experience? I've seen people who use mushrooms several times a month every month. Their brains are in just as much disarray as any heroin or cocaine addict I've seen.

2.Yes, but I wasn't specifically referring to a mushroom trip when I said that coming back to earth was hellish. I know full well about the after-glow of a psychedelic experience, and I am more talking about just being high in general, especially if you are used to getting high habitually. You can't deny that you get irritable and uncomfortable if you are used to smoking weed every day and then supply runs out. When you are faced with life on life's own terms you realize that you haven't gained anything from getting high all those times. The hellish part is being addicted to any substance, either physically or psychologically. It's really really easy to be psychologically addicted to marijuana, that's why I warn against it.

Like I said, I have nothing against drug use as a purely recreational activity every know and then(I personally have not taken any vows of abstinence, and plan to continue being a layman for a while), but it's dangerous to think that they should be used as tools to aid in meditation as that doesn't strengthen or discipline the mind at all. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to meditate on drugs, but I'm saying that you shouldn't use drugs as a crutch for meditation. If you find yourself tripping and then feel like meditating GO FOR IT! There are way worse things you could be doing during your trip (like thinking you could fly or are invincible or some other dumb stuff druggies have been known to think), but just realize that any "realizations" you get should be examined critically and carefully when you sober up, and then their true value can be assessed. Often I've found that psychedelics lead to nothing more than overly abstract thoughts and ideas that are either totally obvious or totally nonsensical to a non-tripping person.

Just know this, I consider myself to be quite the hippie and I have done about every psychoactive substance I ever got my hands on, I was even addicted to a few of them. It's not drugs that allows a person to expand their mind though, it's their mindfulness, openness, and compassion. It doesn't require drugs to cultivate these states of mind though. This is where disciplined mediation helps us. I'm just trying to let you know the potential pitfalls of carelessness in this regard. :)

I've never heard about fivebells' method. That's a pretty interesting concept. Using the negative hangover from a drug experience to create extra mental stress to work though. Interesting indeed. That sounds like a form of asceticism though. I don't see the need for it, but I've never tried that so I can't really say anything about it.
  • edited January 2010
    The way that I see meditation, may be different than some other folks.

I see meditation as a tool for going beyond the mind, for finding the Reality (Liberation from mind) that is so often hidden from our confusions (Right View) by thoughts and conceptions, and going ons. We are looking for the "Eternal Here and Now."

This "Eternal Here and Now" is right in front of your face constantly, but because the mind prefers complications, drama, and stimulation, you often 'over look' this most subtle of experiences.

If, on the other hand, you drop some mushrooms, and you are whizzing through the cosmos on wings made out of diamonds, or you are watching your face melt in the mirror, (did that 2nd one), there is a fat chance that you will notice the Ultimate and Eternal Truth, which is meek (or self effacing) in comparison. You’ll be thinking, “Where are the bells and whistles?”

Suffering is often found in comparisons. Mind is all about comparison. Living life in its usual flat fashion (at least in comparison with something drug induced) is bound to be less fun, if nothing else. You will be left with yourself and that won't be enough. Isn't that why you took the drugs to begin with?

Sooner or later, like a child that outgrows the roller coaster rides, which the mind can offer, you are going to want more, a True Satisfaction, ("Peace beyond all understanding"...Christain) The True Satisfaction of Liberation never goes away. You have discovered the "Always Was and Always Will Be"

Don’t settle for less,
    S9
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    A year ago I would have completely agreed with you, Questionful, as I thought my mind was more free while on those substances and open to explore and understand things. Now experiencing zen-like moments while being completely free of all intoxicants I can understand more fully why the Buddha made that precept.

I like what fivebells just said. In my words, it is like running while tethered to a pole, you might think you are running freely but you are just running in circles that decrease in area with each step.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I kind of agree with what Adam99 said about how things can be addictive even if they don't have an addictive chemical in.
    Even coffee can become dangerous! (as has been my experience)

@questionful;- I have read some studies done on psychodelic drugs and it all seems quite interesting, but these "alternate states" are artificial, chemically indused and don't last. Yes, meditation is very hard work, and can take many years to get anywhere, but it's the real thing and it lasts.
    No I haven't had experience with drugs so maybe I'm not "qualified" to give any advice, but many of the other posters here have and have given some great advice.

Someone said something to me last night... "the more you learn, the less you realise you know".

Nios.
  • edited March 2010
    i've tried meditating. i've also tried meditating under the influence of psilocybin (magic mushrooms). the time i was on magic mushrooms was insanely awesome. it was like i could turn on a light in my heart. i could also just contemplate things with powerful insight. it felt like i had excellent control of my awareness, i felt like my awareness was a muscle, and i could flex it at will and in addition select its target without distraction. it was crazy. but when i try to meditate now, nothing awesome happens, my mood barely changes, i don't have any revelations, i have a hard time grasping the concept of self or the concept of egolessness. it's just a boring, unproductive experience. i'm assuming i am doing it wrong.

so my question is, what is a good place to START learning about meditation? i've seen videos on youtube and a couple random web pages, they all say things about meditation, but i feel like there has to be something that would help me learn the practical basics.

does anyone know a reputable begginner's advice source?

Hi !
    I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.
  • edited March 2010
    Questionful,

Many people here are giving good advice. Do not be too quick to dismiss their claims as ignorant to the psychedelic experience. Many of us have been there.

When I first discovered mushrooms I was in a similar situation as you. I was sure that I was on to something...enlightenment...or the true nature of the universe...or something. i just KNEW i was about to figure it all out thanks to psylocybin.

But after several months of delving deeper and deeper, I eventually realized that I wasn't really getting anywhere. More questions always arise. And it's disconcerning when you go into a trip expecting to gain valuable new insight and then realize that it's just more of the same. If you haven't reached that point yet, you will.

There certainly is something special about mushrooms. Take the experience as it comes, but then let it go.
  • edited March 2010
    Golden E,

I do think the mushroom experience is an excellent opportunity for some people, sometimes, because it can teach us that there is more than one way to look at this world. It kind/of breaks through our habitual mind causing a few cracks to form in what we stubbornly thought we knew, that this material world was WAY solid.

But like you say, it won’t take you the whole way, and like anything in the mind it is fleeting.

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited March 2010
    I do think the mushroom experience is an excellent opportunity for some people, sometimes, because it can teach us that there is more than one way to look at this world. It kind/of breaks through our habitual mind causing a few cracks to form in what we stubbornly thought we knew, that this material world was WAY solid.

I hear ya. And I agree completely.