Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is this meditation?

edited December 2009 in Meditation
After smoking a certain 'herb', I decided to practice meditation- something I've been wanting to get to but have always been discouraged with because of my impatience.
I believe I've reached the meditated state, but I'm not sure how to describe it, although I have a few possible ways to describe what I reached.
If I just lose focus on everything, I start to come to realizations about the way things work or how I should handle them, but as soon as I realize that I'm starting to realize things, I come back to thinking normal again.

I think I also figured out how to directly meditate on specific problems but I don't think I can do it without some kind of mind stimulant like 'herb' I smoked (whose name I'm not going to mention here).

Comments

• jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    There are many type of meditation. The main point of many of them is careful attention to the present moment. Figuring stuff out would be a distraction to this kind of meditation. In fact, this kind of meditation has a goalless quality. You don't get anything in particular from doing this kind of meditation except that you get better at doing them. Which might seem pretty pointless, but in fact there is a point, the point of no point. Which is, when we give up having a point, we become real. People don't have a point, they just are.
  • edited December 2009
    Well, the meditation does have a point in the fact that its helpful since it gives gives me details, perspectives, and possibly solutions to different problems.
    The details, perspectives and solutions come to mind as long as I let myself remain unfocused, which is difficult to do for longer than a few seconds at a time but practice makes perfect.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    What I'm saying is that this is not the main kind of meditation practiced in Buddhism. It's more like an exercise in creative thinking.
  • edited December 2009
    I also notice when I'm undisturbed by sounds, people, etc I can occasionally blank my mind for a split second.
    But than when my minds blank, I realize that its blank and its not blank anymore.

Edit: I'm not a Buddhist. I'm just spiritual (or at least on a spiritual path).
  • edited December 2009
    Uhm...I thought that I understood that we're not to take intoxicants that may make us act foolishly? If I was wrong, then this is good news...LOL.
  • edited December 2009
    I assume you mean cannabis.

I've smoked a lot of weed in my day and just about the only thing it's good for is chanting mantras. You can't focus well on weed, but auditory senses are stimulated a little. That makes it somewhat interesting for reciting endless numbers of mantras, but not much use for anything else. The lack of focus and pseudo-meditative state that cannabis produces is more of a hindrance than a help.

If you're serious about wanting to meditate, I'd recommend trying it without the herb. Just focus on the breath.

Better yet, visit a local Buddhist temple and find a reputable teacher. You don't have to be Buddhist to learn meditation from Buddhist temples or organizations. Most will offer you free instruction, and it could turn out to be a lot more beneficial than attempting it alone.
  • edited December 2009
    myla296 wrote: »
    Uhm...I thought that I understood that we're not to take intoxicants that may make us act foolishly? If I was wrong, then this is good news...LOL.
    :lol::lol::lol: ....................
  • edited December 2009
    poto wrote: »
    I assume you mean cannabis.

I've smoked a lot of weed in my day and just about the only thing it's good for is chanting mantras. You can't focus well on weed, but auditory senses are stimulated a little. That makes it somewhat interesting for reciting endless numbers of mantras, but not much use for anything else. The lack of focus and pseudo-meditative state that cannabis produces is more of a hindrance than a help.

If you're serious about wanting to meditate, I'd recommend trying it without the herb. Just focus on the breath.

Better yet, visit a local Buddhist temple and find a reputable teacher. You don't have to be Buddhist to learn meditation from Buddhist temples or organizations. Most will offer you free instruction, and it could turn out to be a lot more beneficial than attempting it alone.

Theres a buddhist temple in this area I wanted to visit eventually.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Meditation is about increasing the clarity of the mind by focusing your usually restless mind into one thing, usually the breath and sustaining that focus for a long period. This attentive stillness is supposed to be the best way for clarity and wisdom.

I am not sure if taking herbs or any kind of intoxicant will help you keep your attention on one thing which is the whole idea of meditation. Meditation is not about endlessly thinking or rationalizing with your mind. It is the opposite of that
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Don't know if it's meditation or not ... not being inside your head, you know. But ...

If your results come from taking substances, then the substances own the results.
    And you must take the substance to obtain the results.

If your results come from your (unmedicated) efforts, then YOU own the results.
    And you need nothing but yourself to obtain the results.
  • edited December 2009
    omera wrote: »
    Theres a buddhist temple in this area I wanted to visit eventually.

Now might be a good time to check it out. :)
  • edited December 2009
    poto wrote: »
    Now might be a good time to check it out. :)

How well will that work though? Will a meditation tutor really help much?
    Meditation seems like more of a learn-it-yourself thing.
  • edited December 2009
    omera wrote: »

Some people do well on their own, but most people benefit from having expert guidance. It can be helpful when you have somebody who has 'been there and done that' to help answer your questions and point you in the right direction.

To phrase it another way. Do you think it would be better to learn Kung Fu from a Kung Fu master, or to learn it on your own? Think of meditation as mind-training in the way that martial arts is body-training.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009

Meditation is a do-it-yourself thing. In order to do it, first you need to know what meditation is, what the purpose of it is. Right now, you seem to be grasping at vague preconceived notions of what you think meditation might be ("unfocused," "blank mind," "thinking," "perspectives"). Having a teacher is invaluable, but either way I would highly recomend learning proper meditation here.
    ... but I don't think I can do it without some kind of mind stimulant like 'herb' I smoked (whose name I'm not going to mention here).

Meditation is not about searching for something outside of yourself. If what you experienced is something you can't reach without pot, then it is not what Buddhism/meditation is concerned with. As I said, firstly, you need to understand what the purpose is, otherwise you're walking blind with no destination; I would start by studying the Four Noble Truths and Eightfold Path, at the very least.