Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

MSN Messenger

emmakemmak Veteran
edited September 2005 in NewBuddhist.com
YAY! I worked it out! I have messenger! We have the teck - mologie! :cheer:

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I just added you!

-bf
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I don't have it any more :( Ross said it would give our new computer evil viruses and made messenger go away. Spew.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005
    That's not true, you can tell ross "because Brian said so and he's a computer expert" :p
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    The imps and gremlins, bogles and crawling frights creep into our computers by the magical power of IT! Be not deceived, IT lurks deep within the universe of the computers, the place they go behind our "screensavers". Haven't you noticed how your computer grumbles to itself even when nothing appears to be happening? Has it never swallowed a long piece of typing that had perfectly encapsulated your thought?

Even writing this is supremely dangerous but I am commanded by my lord, Lud of the Luddites, to spread the word. Beware of IT!
  • edited September 2005
    HAHAHAHA! That's funny, Simon.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    The imps and gremlins, bogles and crawling frights creep into our computers by the magical power of IT! Be not deceived, IT lurks deep within the universe of the computers, the place they go behind our "screensavers". Haven't you noticed how your computer grumbles to itself even when nothing appears to be happening? Has it never swallowed a long piece of typing that had perfectly encapsulated your thought?

Even writing this is supremely dangerous but I am commanded by my lord, Lud of the Luddites, to spread the word. Beware of IT!

Time for your medication Simon.... open wide........!! :hohum: :lol:

(I posted the HoHum smiley because his mouth's..open wide..!)
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I told Ross that messenger did not get viruses, but he is paranoid as we just spent $1500 on a new PC cos spyware ruined out last one. He tried to tell me I couldn't even have hotmail.

Simon - your'e freakin me out.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Emmak - install Mcafee... it's slightly costly, but worth every dime. We personally avoided Firewall because it has a tendency to try to block just about everything. McAfee's the one to go for IMHO..... check with Brian, but we've had brilliant results.

(PS: Simon's good at that.... he's been practising......!!)
    edited September 2005
    I use a really useful program for spyware and malware:
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

Regular 'housekeeping' and updating of virus and malware protection is the only solution if you are going to have any time on the Net. I scan my computer daily at boot-up and, each week, I run extensive tests and back up my files.

I think of viruses, spyware, etc., as I do mosquitoes, etc., when I visit tropical countries: I sleep under a net and use repellents, dress sensibly and take my malaria tablets. It's all you can do and it should be enough.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited September 2005
    We DO have Mcafee and some other thing too.
    Ross thinks I get on here and 'talk to weirdos' LOL! I think I have it worked out - he does not want me having any internet pals....
    edited September 2005
    No no no no! McAfee is the worst! Devil! Satan begone!

Honestly, I do this for a living. Spyware, virus and trojan management are a good portion of my day-to-day business, and I also run a large website that helps people remove their own for free (www.short-media.com/forum). McAfee is not as bad as all that, but there are much, much better products.

To manage SVT (spyware, virus, trojans), you need a cocktail of software. There is no single solution. The effective cocktail that I use consists of:

Lavasoft AdAware SE
    Spybot Search and Destroy
    AVG AntiVirus
    Mozilla Firefox

Here is an article that explains SVT basics, I wrote it last year.

Emmak, you should know that throwing away a computer because of spyware is not necessary. ALL of it can be removed and managed. But it's probably too late for that now. At any rate, we follow trends - and by "we" I mean a global coalition of spyware removal professionals (Called ASAP), and I can tell you authoritatively that you will not get a "virus" from MSN messenger.

There was an AIM virus going around for a bit, called bestfriends. However, MSN was not used to disseminate that one. Also, if you are up to date on your virus definitions, you will not be susceptible to most viruses.

I highly recommend AVG antivirus for most people. It's FREE, and it works really well: free.grisoft.com

If any of you think you may have a SVT problem, feel free to read this, and then post a HJT log (you'll learn how from that link) into short-media's SVT Discussion Forum, where you will be told what to remove and how to clean your computer to a perfect healthy level :)
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Brian, you're awesome! Thanks!

Signed,

IT pro without the time to research stuff like this.
    edited September 2005
    * Gassho* Brian and many thanks.

Having just scanned my computer (having used A2 yesterday), I find over 400 items to quarantine and, I imagine, to delete. Incredible.
  • edited September 2005
    emmak wrote:
    Ross thinks I get on here and 'talk to weirdos' LOL! I think I have it worked out - he does not want me having any internet pals....

LOL! My husband always teases me because he and I actually met on an internet forum! :) So we always tease each other about "are you talking to your girlfriend/boyfriend on that forum??".
    edited September 2005
    Brian, used AVG on your advice and it found 3 very nasty trojan Horses, thanks for the advice...incidentally we use Mcafee, that we paid for...big help that was :downhand:
    edited September 2005
    Make sure you uninstall mcafee if you decide to stick with AVG, since having two antivirus programs running at once can really slow down your machine. :)
    edited September 2005
    I thought it would make things better.; you have a cocktail, i thought I'd have something like a manhattan.....
    But in things technical yow de boss.....! :lol:

Last time Norton tried to give us firewall it blocked everything and anything..... AVG won't do the same, will it...? would prefer it to be more selective than Rambo-like.....!!
    edited September 2005
    New Technical question, requiring VERY SIMPLE "You are talking to a complete technical bonehead here!" answer......

Willing to adopt Firefox as main internet browser. Currently have Internet Explorer.
    How to transfer all sites and files listed/ collected/ amassed under 'favourites' to Firefox from I. Explorer, please?
    edited September 2005
    When you install firefox and run it for the first time, it will ask you if you want to import settings from Explorer. Say "yes" :)

AVG is not a firewall, so it will not block anything.
    edited September 2005
    Firefox is already installed, and running alongside Internet Explorer... it DOES keep asking us if we want to install it as 'default browser'.... is this what you mean?

And do I need to /should I UNinstall Microsoft Internet Explorer? :confused:
  • edited September 2005
    One question!

What is AVG? I am totally in the dark, here! I am not that tech savvy myself!? :banghead:

Adiana :doh: :buck:
    edited September 2005
    Adiana, we're talking about the most effective systems for saving our PC's from nasty viruses and the like... go back and read Brian's posts, especially #12... that explains everything, with useful links... they don't call Brian the "main man" for nuthin'.... and don't forget people: Brian is an anagram of "BRAIN"...!!
  • edited September 2005
    Brian, My son who is graduating from College this month for internet security among other things, is a member of asap. And your right Mcafee is the worst. We use the same Cocktail on our computers as you suggested and it works really great. But my son suggested that if there was anyone out there who has a braodband or Dsl connection to ask Brian how to close that network. Especially right now with all the wireless that is around. My son said if you need help in this he will help.
    edited September 2005
    federica wrote:
    Firefox is already installed, and running alongside Internet Explorer... it DOES keep asking us if we want to install it as 'default browser'.... is this what you mean?

And do I need to /should I UNinstall Microsoft Internet Explorer? :confused:

Erm.... sorry to be posting this again Brian , but - what next? :type: :)
    edited September 2005
    Brian,

I am following your advice and have installed Firefox. I am configuring it to work somewhat like Avant, which I have been using up to now. As Fede asks, once all is done, should I uninstall IE6? It takes up space.
    edited September 2005
    You can't uninstall IE. It is built in to windows (thus all those lawsuits a few years back). You can remove the shortcut to make your desktop prettier ;) (that firefox icon is so much more colorful than that stodgy old blue "E")

Fede: Go to file --> Import to start the IE import wizard.

You'll have to pick which browser you want to be the default. I personally recommend firefox, so if you want ff to be your default, say "yes" next time it asks. IE will ask again (they fight over it), and you can check a box that says "don't ask this question next time IE starts" to avoid it. You'll still have access to both browsers, but one will be the default browser for the system. Firefox is safer for this.
    edited September 2005
    Brian.... HELP!!
    After adopting M. Firefox as our main browser, and telling IE to not be, we have a problem.....
    I am now apparently the main user of both IE newbuddhist.com AND modzilla Firefox newbuddhist.com.... can't log out on either browser, and Nick is nowhere to be seen - !!
    THis is the message I get if I try to log out on Firefox....

"Not Found

The requested URL /Home/logout/1 was not found on this server.
    Apache/2.0.49 (Unix) PHP/4.3.10 Server at www.newbuddhist.com Port 80"

on IE it just tells me the page was not found.....

How come I can access this site on both browsers, and Nick can't get in on either of them - !!??!!
    edited September 2005
    What button are you using to logout? sounds like you may have found a bug on this site. :eek2:

The "log out" button at the very top is what I use:

http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/login.php?do=logout

Try that and see what you get....
    edited September 2005
    When I use the top button, it asks are you sure you want to log out? Yes, I reply.... then it gives me the option, return to the page you were previously viewing, or return to forum index.... and I'm still logged in..... this happens with both browsers....

* and at the moment, Nick can't post, because as far as both IE and Modzilla are concerned, I'm the one who's registered as user on both browsers....!*
    edited September 2005
    sounds like a cookie problem. Try this: in firefox, go to tools --> options. Click the "privacy" button, go to "cookies" and click "clear" after you logout. Go back to the forums and see if you're still logged in. I don't know why it would be keeping your session alive.... :scratch:
    edited September 2005
    Well you are a clever sausage....! That worked - ! Nick is now main 'user' again for M.F.!

Can you stand two more questions....? Just out of curiosity,

There is a lower horizontal 'toolbar' at the bottom of the screen.....but you know that already...!!.
    Since installing AVG7 plus firewall, the 'old' icon for the free AVG download has turned a mucky shade of several grays and when I place the cursor on it, it states: "Internal Virus Database: Internal Virus database is out of date.' Well, sure! 'cos' I got the new one! How do I dispose of this icon?

and 2: Why, when I access the forum (my e-mail tells me I currently have 10 new posts to look at in threads I've subscribed to) none of the open lotuses in the left column are 'bold'? it's like they're in 'no new posts' mode.... they onbly "glow" once I've opened the thread to read the post - !!

Thank you everyone for your patience at my having well & truly hyjacked this thread.... :o and thank YOU Brian, for being so patient & persevering with an old, technical fudgewit -!! :buck: :bigclap:
    edited September 2005
    If the AVG icon is gray, that means that there is an update that needs to be installed. Try rebooting your computer, the update may require that.

Are you logged in when you first look at the list of forums? If you're logged out, they might all show up as "no new posts" until you log in.

:) I love the term "fudgewit" - i've never heard that before :lol:
    edited September 2005
    did an update. icon gone, thanks.

I think it shows no new posts because i'm only advised of one, not subsequent... in any case, it's not life-threatening, so don't worry....! :thumbsup:

"Fudgewit" is of couse, the 'polite' form.....!:winkc:
  • edited September 2005
    federica wrote:
    did an update. icon gone, thanks.

I think it shows no new posts because i'm only advised of one, not subsequent... in any case, it's not life-threatening, so don't worry....! :thumbsup:

"Fudgewit" is of couse, the 'polite' form.....!:winkc:

FUDGEWIT!? Now that is funny! :p :doh: :type: I have to admit I have been called worse---HEHEHE! Of course, I have SAID worse, too! LOL!

Adiana