Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My mothers brain tumour

edited January 2010 in Meditation
I have always meditated according to the theravada tradition, I always assumed other traditions, such as Tibetan, who do other practises more based on visualisation, are just basically imagining things, so how could they be of any use? As a westerner my outlook on things like healing meditation were that they are supernatural nonsense.

But my Mother who recently collapsed, has been diagnosed with a brain tumour. Shes only 44.

After this new shock, I want to help her in any way I can. So I'd like to try some healing meditation because who am I to judge whether something Tibetans have practised for centuries is real or not. And its worth me trying as my Mum has no spiritual beliefs herself.

So if any one here could share some knowlege with me that would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Elliot, I am sorry to hear of your trouble. It seems that you need someone very accomplished and capable to help your mother. I am sure there will be some help for you. It may be much easier to search locally rather than on the internet though.
  • edited January 2010
    By this do you mean a master. Because I wouldnt even know how to look for some one in my area.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Continue to do your usual practice and dedicate the merit to your mother at the end of the practice.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I'm so sorry, Elliot.
    My heart and wishes go out to you and your mother and family.

(((hugs)))
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Here is a link with some information.

http://www.dharma-haven.org/tibetan/meditation.htm

It depends on where you live. If you can find one, I would suggest the Shambhala Centers if they are available.

Namaste
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Shenpen Nangwa has expressed an interest in Tibetan medicine in the past. You might see if you can get his attention by PM'ing him.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    If we are going to start suggesting alternative treatments for brain cancer, the only thing I have heard success stories for is Dr. Ramakrishna's homeopathic protocol, which is well known in the homeopathic community. But it will have to be his mother's idea.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    In this case, I don't think it's "alternative" so much as "additional."
  • edited January 2010
    Qi Gong and other systems of increasing and controlling the body's energy like Pranayama and Tai Chi can be useful in assisting healing.

The problem is it often takes many years of training to gain a proficiency in those things. Also, in my experience, people benefit the most when practicing it on themselves. Trying to use these things to heal others seems to be less effective than on one's self. I have practiced Qi Gong for about half my life, and have spent some time studying Pranayama and Tai Chi as well. While I have the ability to help heal small things and ease people's pain, something as serious as brain cancer would be well beyond my abilities. There are others out there, masters that have such abilities, but they are very few and far between.

I wish your mother well, and hope she recovers from this.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2010
    So sorry to hear that, Elliot. I second jinzang's suggest to continue your usual practice and dedicate the merit to your mother. I wish you and your mother the best.
  • edited January 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    So sorry to hear that, Elliot. I second jinzang's suggest to continue your usual practice and dedicate the merit to your mother. I wish you and your mother the best.

I also agree with Jinzang and Jason - and send many good wishes to your mother and to you, Elliot.

_/\_

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Jeffrey. Unrelated to your mothers tumor Tibetan buddhism teachers other meditations than visualization. My teacher teaches formless meditation which is not based on any form including the breath but that utilizes the breath as a support to open into the spacious nature.

It is also shamata vissapana meditation. vissapana meditation is NOT unique to the therevada.
  • edited January 2010
    Thank you all for your kind replies. What exactly do you mean, jinzang, by dedicate the merit to my mother?

Thanks.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    At the end of your practice, say "Whatever merit I have gained through the practice of meditation and through other good deeds be dedicated to the happiness and health and eventual enlightenment of my mother."
  • edited January 2010
    ahh ok. Thanks jinzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Generally Tibetan medicine focuses on the karmic cause of the illness. Along with whatever medicine is considered appropriate, the patient is usually given a practice to do as well. But there are two problems with that: one is that there probably isn't a Tibetan anywhere around you, and two, even if there was, would your mother be willing to do that? As Jinzang pointed out, however, one of the best things that you can do for her is dedicate the merit of whatever practice you are doing to her. There is also a Medicine Buddha practice that can be of benefit as well. Normally you would need an empowerment to be most effective, but even without the empowerment it's better than nothing. You can find one you can download at palyulproductions.org if you're interested.

Palzang