Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Daily Meditation log...here

edited June 2010 in Meditation
As some of you may recall from my previous postings, I do not have a teacher or a class since I have not found any close enough to me.
If it's ok, I would like to use this thread as my log if you will.

What I ask is if anyone has any answers or insight into some of my questions would you be kind enough to lend your advice/thoughts? It would really help me out. I have been reading "Mindfulnes, Bliss, and Beyond, and it's been a great help but there are some instances where I still have questions.

First one will be posted next.

And please, if you have anything, anything at all to add, feel free to make a comment or a statement, or even respond with a novel, I don't care.

I do not have anyone close to me who understands "why" I am meditating and (according to one friend) reading all these crazy books, so this forum is all I have for an outlet in regards to meditation.

Thank you

Comments

• edited January 2010
    This morning I started meditating and it took I would guess maybe 5 min to settle into it.
    Then after awhile (not sure how long) my body lost it's feeling (which usually happens to me) but what happened NEXT was something new...so i don't know if it was my brain playing tricks on me or if it was something else..

Please add your thoughts even if it's..."man, your just crazy"...it would help me out ...

I suddenly saw/witnessed/visualized, whatever, a little light. The light grabbed me I guess, and it felt like I flew straight up in the air...well, not physically, but something because I saw my body there straight down...I got scared and started feeling my breathing again..noticing I was breathing in/out in/out but never came "out of meditation" because I still could not feel my arms, hands,etc...then after a few more moments...many little bright lights actually "picked me up I guess??" and it felt like I was floating again...but this time not scared..just amazed...then after what seemed like a minuted I guess..my door opened and the wife walked in talking and in an instant I felt a rush and my eyes opened and I took a deep breath...as if I just came up from underwater.....I looked at the clock and it was 45min of time but it felt literally like seconds...

I do not understand this...I am not scared at all by it...it was amazing...but I am not sure if I was just day dreaming or something???

Thanks for any and all advice....

B
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I don't know what it was either...
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Probably a dream, though a very interesting one. If you feel yourself starting to fall asleep in future meditation sessions, pay close attention to the physical sensations associated with it.
  • edited January 2010
    I agree with 5bells. Try not to get caught up in the dream, or else you may find yourself reaching for something that doesn't exist.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited January 2010
    My teacher says that these sorts of experiences are distractions from the real goals of meditation.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited January 2010
    First of all, it is better to ask your family members to stay away when you are meditating don't you think :D lol. It kind of annoys me when my mum rushes into the room or knocks on the door when I am meditating. Then she stares at me like I am doing the weirdest thing on earth lol

Anyway the kind of experiences that you are explaining are quite common and there are few threads in this forum itself on the same subject. Lot of people I know have had very vivid experiences which feel so real but they are just mental perceptions. They don't really mean anything and it is best to ignore them by taking your mindfulness back to the breath or just watch them until they eventually pass away

Yes, some of them are really scary. I once heard a Thai forest monk said that when he was doing the walking meditation he experienced that he sunk into the floor. Then he was thrown up in the air some 10 feet and his body exploded into pieces. Now that's scary :eek:
  • edited February 2010
    I suddenly saw/witnessed/visualized, whatever, a little light. The light grabbed me I guess, and it felt like I flew straight up in the air...well, not physically, but something because I saw my body there straight down...I got scared and started feeling my breathing again..noticing I was breathing in/out in/out but never came "out of meditation" because I still could not feel my arms, hands,etc...then after a few more moments...many little bright lights actually "picked me up I guess??" and it felt like I was floating again...but this time not scared..just amazed...then after what seemed like a minuted I guess..my door opened and the wife walked in talking and in an instant I felt a rush and my eyes opened and I took a deep breath...as if I just came up from underwater.....I looked at the clock and it was 45min of time but it felt literally like seconds...

My guess is that you experienced sleep paralysis, perhaps followed by a dream - or a lucid dream. Time does have a strange tendancy to warp in dreams. :) Some would say it wasn't a dream, but an out of body experience. What you make of that depends entirely on your own beliefs.

I've seen patterns of light in front of my closed eyelids before, though they've never picked me up or carried me away. ;) I remember reading in the past that they're just neural charges - nothing unusual and nothing to worry about.

It certainly sounds an interesting experience anyway. :)
  • edited April 2010
    Very interesting, how long ago did you start meditating? Sounds like an OBE, which can be delightful in their own sense separate from meditation given that you don't get too caught up in them. Some people induce them themselves into OBEs through meditation, but it's far off from Buddhist practice.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited April 2010
    I wouldn't over-analyze meditation by posting daily about it, nor would I dwell on "experiences" while meditating. Refocus on the breath.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Here is my experience of meditating today: I sat, I focused, my mind wandered, I focused, my mind wandered, I focused, etc...

After almost two years of sitting I think I'm starting to realize to inherent rewards of an empty mind.

Also, another question, when I site I like to have to blinds slightly open so I can see the grass outside. In my upper periphery, I can also make out cars driving by every once in awhile. Should I close the blinds all the way? :(
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Lincoln wrote: »
    I wouldn't over-analyze meditation by posting daily about it, nor would I dwell on "experiences" while meditating. Refocus on the breath.

This is what I think too. I learned that it's not a good idea to judge our meditation practice in any way, whether it is positively ("wow, this is a great session I'm having!") or negatively ("damn, this session is sucking hard!") because it can bring more resistance to the practice and disillusionment in case you feel you aren't "progressing" enough.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited April 2010
    At the same time, having someone to talk with about daily practice helps motivate you to practice everyday. I found it impossible to continue practicing a few years ago when I had no one to talk to about it.
  • edited May 2010
    skullchin wrote: »
    At the same time, having someone to talk with about daily practice helps motivate you to practice everyday. I found it impossible to continue practicing a few years ago when I had no one to talk to about it.

Exactly! I'll join this thread and try my best to post daily, even if it's just "yeah, I meditated today" or "ummmm..... yeah funny story..."

So I did meditate today for 15 minutes. It was nothing special except for it was the first time that I didn't get startled by my iPod alarm (even though it's set to the very gentle harp sound). Oh and I tried some back exercises before and meditated against the couch. I have terrible posture so I am working on that.
  • edited June 2010
    It's always something- maybe that's the point?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I have had similar experiences while falling asleep but not while meditating. Do you meditate laying down (sleeping posture) or sitting up (lotus, half lotus, etc.)? Some people call this an "out-of-body" experience, other people call it a lucid dream. Do you keep your eyes open or closed? Some types of instruction instruct to keep the eyes slightly open so things like this don't happen during meditation because, like others have said, it is not the goal or purpose of meditation. While it can be fun and exciting to have these types of experiences, and it is! It is really not meditation practice.
    I do not have a teacher or a class since I have not found any close enough to me.

I'm assuming that you don't live near Boston as there are a ton of groups in and around Boston?
  • edited June 2010
    Well the good news is my meditation has been going well.
    No strange experiences since that one!!
    Focus has been great and my mindfulness is almost spot on during the day.
    I have found if I go consecutive days without meditating the old "anxieties" of life start to creep in a bit.....then I meditate...relax the mind...and bang...all gone....what a feeling.