Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Aliens!

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited August 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Well I know that Mahayana Buddhists believe in life outside the Universe... And the Buddha himself did mentions about devas, demi-gods, ghosts and stuff like thata before... But is there concrete evidence that the Buddha talked about regarding aliens?

Personally I'm an alien-believer... (Hey! Join SETI@HOME @ http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu)
Cause the law of rebirth needs deaths along to work...

Comments

• edited August 2005
    ME TOO!!! i believe in aliens<--- that's came out way to excitted, but anyways really we don't know how big this universe is. It would be really ignorant or us to asume that we're the only one here. I'm glade that buddhism is such a liberal religion focusing on one's mind, and we can explore sciences without the bible words. In Christianity evolution isn't even accepted.
  • edited August 2005
    I don't there are aliens. I don't believe there are not aliens. I have never seen any so it is impossible for me to believe in them. I do believe the possibility exists for them to exist just like there is the possibility that a god exists.
    It seems most people "believe" in aliens because they want their lives and their world to seem larger and more dramatic.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2005
    :eek: To me this subject doesn't have much to do with Buddhism. Aliens or not suffering is still suffering, the Eightfold Path is still the Eightfold Path.... but, to be perfectly honest, I completely believe in Aliens. I saw an unidentified flying object once. It was many years ago, I was at a beach 20 miles north of Port Huron. I was with my very first girlfriend. I guess I was about 18 or 19. We were sitting on the beach talking around 9pm. The sky was beautifully clear. Nothing but stars. There is very little light polution here since is more rural than anything else. All of a sudden she said, "Hey what's that?" and pointed to this light in the sky. At forst it seemed like a normal planes, but then it went clear across the sky. I began watching it intently while it went from point to another.Sometimes it wents straight while others it made turns this way and that. I was excited, amazed, and terrified all at the same time. We were all alone on the shores of one of the biggest Great Lakes witnessing this crazy phenomenon. It was definitly an experiecne I will always remeber, until I get old and forget everything I ever knew. ;)
  • edited August 2005
    wow, elohim that sounds excitting. I think i saw a UFO but i'm not sure. My dad was driving me and my friend to school, this was last year. Well i stared out the window and saw something moved rapidly from one place to the next. It was silver. Of course i didn't pay it much attention because a tree blocked it. I know this isn't about buddhism but the topic caught my attention.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I saw them four times in my whole life... Hell i'm just 15 this year and I'm so damm lucky! I saw it once close-up, but I never saw any itty-bitty green man coem down, just zoom over the skies giving out these wondrous lights and with no sound at all... Skins that look Unearthly... Yeah, sure this doesn't have anything to do, bt it will give us a clear view of rebirth. I find it hard to defend rebirth against some of my Christian friends, so i give this alien excuse. Is it okay?
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    One time I was abducted. I couldn't walk right for a week.
    edited August 2005
    Wow that's nicer. How was it like? Was it really like what I have heard from those who once worked in the so-codenamed Area 51? They say there are 2 species, onehuman-like one lizard-like and crap. Ok if you don't wanna tell... It should suck, though it's fascinating.
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited August 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    I saw them four times in my whole life... Hell i'm just 15 this year and I'm so damm lucky! I saw it once close-up, but I never saw any itty-bitty green man coem down, just zoom over the skies giving out these wondrous lights and with no sound at all... Skins that look Unearthly... Yeah, sure this doesn't have anything to do, bt it will give us a clear view of rebirth. I find it hard to defend rebirth against some of my Christian friends, so i give this alien excuse. Is it okay?

In Singapore?
  • edited August 2005
    One time I was abducted. I couldn't walk right for a week.

I've heard abductions can be a right pain in the arse! :winkc:

The only thing I've seen was when I was about 17. I was walking back from a friends house and saw a bright light shoot across the sky. I thought it was a shooting star until it just stopped dead for a few seconds and then shot off in a different direction. It was way too fast to be a helicopter and I still can't rationalise what it could have been.
    edited August 2005
    Before I continue, kinlee I must say that your signature is fantastic. May I be allowed to quote that wisdom if I like to anytime?

And yes! I do see UFOs in Singapore! Unbelievable, huh? But I did. I have this cousin who was never an UFO-believer, he even said I was crazy to believe in them.

However, the 2nd time I saw them in my life, he was with me. He was shocked and astonished, and from there h started to take alien life a little more serioulsy than just a bedtime story.
  • edited August 2005
    I believe there are other lifeforms in our universe...we are not the only galaxy I'm sure...we as humans can only go so far..and we have no idea what is beyond our solar system. :)