Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Apnea?

edited January 2010 in Meditation
At least once per meditation session I experience something that is akin to apnea. As my breathing becomes slower and I begin to take longer pauses between breaths. Eventually I become so focused on this space and become so relaxed that I forget to breath. When breath finally comes it is usually a slight gasp and then I resume regular breathing.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Forgetting to breath doesn't seem very mindful to me.
  • edited January 2010
    Inji-gyo wrote: »
    Forgetting to breath doesn't seem very mindful to me.

It may not be. In these moments I usually find myself focused on my pulse or on trying to soften any tension that I notice within my body.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Similar but not the same. When I meditated when I was young, I noticed that my respirations would slow down to 3 or 4 a minute. No gasping, though.

Interestingly, at the time I lived in Delaware ... maybe it's the air!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    My meditation method mentions something specific about this, however you may be doing a different style of meditation.

Anyhow what I read was that sometimes the breathing becomes long but that it is prefered if the breathing stays our normal breath. The technique suggested is to tell ourselves that we are not meditating. That we are just breathing. This has worked for me I think due to the autosuggestion power of thinking that I am or am not meditating. Next you may 'start meditating' again when your breath returns to normal.

Note I hesitate to pass along my own method as if it is the only method. But I just wanted to mention it. I think the reason the normal breath is desired is that it removes some of the disconnect between daily awareness and meditation. I'm unsure.
  • edited January 2010
    I have experinenced this many times. Its just where your controlling the amount of oxygen flowing through your body, as your body isnt doing anything you need less.

The sudden gasp for air is (for me, so probs the same for you) like a mini panic attack. Your body is completely fine, but when you notice your taking in much less oxgen its like your brain sayin 'wheres all the oxygen?!" Just return to the breath, your meditation is clearl getting 'deeper'.

Bit of advice, be careful, as I used to get an attatched to this sensation; believing it was a sign that I was deepening my meditation.