Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

buddhist jobs?

edited January 2010 in Buddhism Today
Hi guys

I was wondering what buddhist jobs are out there (with regards to earning a living). The only one i know of is Chaplin.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Emma-Angel wrote: »
    Hi guys

I was wondering what buddhist jobs are out there (with regards to earning a living). The only one i know of is Chaplin.

there are a lot more.
    you can work for a dharma center, or other sangha organization or you can train at a university and teach.
    There are more and more opportunities out there for those of us who work for the dharma.
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Right Livelihood according to the 8Fold Path means that one should avoid jobs which involve trading in animals for slaughter, dealing in weapons, dealing in slaves, dealing in poison and dealing in intoxicants.

Outside of that, any job has the potential to be a 'Buddhist' job. The intention you have in performing that work, and being mindful of it, is at least as important as the work itself. For example, a supermarket shelf-filler may see their role as cherishing others by providing them with access to food, and the service they give to customers may be seen as a way of reducing the suffering of people like me who have a totally unreasonable dislike of shopping there. ;)
    BhikkhuJayasaralobsterNiesjejae
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited January 2010
    But would the supermarket not be dealing in the slaughter of animals?
  • edited January 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    not if you work in the produce dept.
    edited January 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »

I can see where you are coming from.

Do we refuse a job which is directly connected with slaughter, or do we refuse to work for the company altogether on the grounds that it is engaged in creating and satisfying a market which leads to slaughter?

I would say that as long as you are not personally supporting that slaughter through handling or selling the products, you are OK. As Shenpen Nagwa says, fruit and veg should be OK.

I have had a similar situation at work when I was asked to act as a management consultant for a meat supplier. I refused and lost my job.

So, in the scenario I created, I would refuse to stack shelves in any area which sold the products of slaughter, fishing etc.
    Likely outcome - sacked! LOL :)

It was just a simple example - shelf stacking. Yet even here we can see moral dilemmas . I guess the best apporach is to avoid jobs which may lead to compromising any vows or even preferences we may hold as Buddhists.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I work in a supermarket, some bits i like some bits i dont like ive gotta do what has to be done though, if people want some meat they get some meat.
    There not much that can be done.
    Bunks
  • edited January 2010
    pyschotherapy, social work
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Yeshe wrote: »
    So, in the scenario I created, I would refuse to stack shelves in any area which sold the products of slaughter, fishing etc.

Just about everything in a supermarket, when you look at it involves the use of killing animals; even the transportation of goods since I believe in tyre rubber there's animal products in there.

And what about vegetables? With modern farming techniques a lot of animals and bugs will be killed growing them when you consider pesticides and machinery used. Paper? Well trees will be cut down to produce packaging and bugs will be killed in the process.

So, how do you guys get around that, or is it a pragmatic attitude that you adopt where you try to avoid hurting other creatures where-ever reasonably practical?

I mean, let's face it, it's going to be next to impossible to live without some indirect cause of harm to some living creature; even if the link is a bit tenuous.

Personally, I love animals; even the not so cute ones. I've been a vegetarian on moral grounds long before I had any thoughts of Buddhism.
    BhikkhuJayasaraReborn
  • edited January 2010
    medicine, art.
    edited January 2010
    Tosh wrote: »
    Just about everything in a supermarket, when you look at it involves the use of killing animals; even the transportation of goods since I believe in tyre rubber there's animal products in there.

And what about vegetables? With modern farming techniques a lot of animals and bugs will be killed growing them when you consider pesticides and machinery used. Paper? Well trees will be cut down to produce packaging and bugs will be killed in the process.

So, how do you guys get around that, or is it a pragmatic attitude that you adopt where you try to avoid hurting other creatures where-ever reasonably practical?

I mean, let's face it, it's going to be next to impossible to live without some indirect cause of harm to some living creature; even if the link is a bit tenuous.

Personally, I love animals; even the not so cute ones. I've been a vegetarian on moral grounds long before I had any thoughts of Buddhism.

Plenty here on other threads about the difference between accidental killing and intentional killing, but it's a bit off-topic here.

The topic is Buddhist 'jobs' so I cited the occupations that the 8FP advises us to avoid. Like you, I was vegetarian before I was a Buddhist. I just try to live by causing the least harm to other beings I can, whilst recognising that it is impossible to be alive and harm none.
    Niesje
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Tosh wrote: »

Pretty much you cant walk without killing something...:(
    Intention is a very important thing.
    sova
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    In fact, our body is killing bacteria and other living organisms constantly just to keep us alive. I agree intention is what I focus on.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I work in IT (information technology), and I suppose it doesn't cause suffering or pullution and maybe saves trees if I can get people to stop printing so much.

But it's more than what you do work a living, it's how your work can be an expression of your Buddhist practise.

For example, I try to be patient and compassionate when dealing with people who aren't as computer literate as myself.

I can recommend a good book called Mindfulness and Meaningful Work: Exporations in Rght Livelihood, published by Parallax Press. It's a collection of writings, with titles such as To Work is to Pray, Coping with Change and Right Living in a Consumer Society.
  • edited January 2010

I'm actually studying psychology. Everyday I find more and more links to the Buddhist teachings. I specially recomend Ken Wilber. It's simply great!
    I believe psychotherapy it's a fantastic way to help others.
  • edited January 2010
    When i say buddhist jobs, i guess i mean jobs which directly link to the dharma. I guess Chaplin, working at a Dharma centre, working for a buddhist charity, teaching Dharma in schools etc would be good.

Basically atm I am a course leader in a further education college, in which we teach Film and Media studies and production, and i planned to eventually work in a university teaching Film studies (hence why i am doing a PhD). But more and more I am asking myself - why is this subject important? My husband says it awakens people to the control methods of the film industry and makes people more active audiences members, and also that my helping them get a degree is helping them get a better future (ideally, but looking at the job market for graduates, I am worried).

I just dont feel like I am helping people enough in my job, and would like something a little more linked to the dharma. But yes you are right, its all about perspective. I could imagine all the students as the buddha and see me serving them... oh i dont know!
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Magwang wrote: »
    I work in IT (information technology), and I suppose it doesn't cause suffering or pullution and maybe saves trees if I can get people to stop printing so much.

Much of IT is stunningly profligate with electricity. It depends what you're doing, though.
    edited January 2010
    Emma-Angel wrote: »
    When i say buddhist jobs, i guess i mean jobs which directly link to the dharma. I guess Chaplin, working at a Dharma centre, working for a buddhist charity, teaching Dharma in schools etc would be good.

Basically atm I am a course leader in a further education college, in which we teach Film and Media studies and production, and i planned to eventually work in a university teaching Film studies (hence why i am doing a PhD). But more and more I am asking myself - why is this subject important? My husband says it awakens people to the control methods of the film industry and makes people more active audiences members, and also that my helping them get a degree is helping them get a better future (ideally, but looking at the job market for graduates, I am worried).

I just dont feel like I am helping people enough in my job, and would like something a little more linked to the dharma. But yes you are right, its all about perspective. I could imagine all the students as the buddha and see me serving them... oh i dont know!

I guess you have to ask how you may best use those skills to benefit other beings. IMHO the media are incredibly powerful - and there's every chance to use them to inform others about humanitarian and ecological issues. You are also directly helping your students, who in themselves may be of great benefit.

I used to be Assistant Principal (Director of Marketing) for an FE College and often wodnered what the hell I was doing it for - until you see the young people blossom and become of benefit to society in all sorts of ways.

If you want something a little more direct, why not seek funding for some short films about issues which you feel may be in line with your Buddhism?
    Maybe people like the British Council (for overseas links and joint projects with schools and colleges in, maybe, India) or DFID for funding of projects related to International Development. I've also taken groups of students to India on exchanges - great material there for film and for working together across the web!

Both organisations have regional reps who can direct you, and your County may have someone who does this for schools who you could talk to and maybe 'piggy back' on one of their projects. Such projects could be for you, or even better they could be for your students. If you have no time - ask your Marketing department to find out!

Failing all that, why not choose charities you would like to support and seek ways to work with them, or even for them. You don't have to quit your job to make it more 'Buddhist'. :)
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited January 2010
    When I'm an adult I was interested in working for GreenPeace. However I've been considering something that's niggled at my mind unconsiously for goodness knows how long, and I'd quite fancy being a teacher. After all your then playing an important and wholesome part in the next generation (that haven't been born yet) 's life. Also, to prevent, as best I could, contributing to suffering I'd try stuff like solar power, electric cars, grow my own vegetables, chickens and goats so you know your eggs and milk are not taken from an animal that's been kept cruely, oh, and recycled paper too. Luckily the richer you are, unless you have no money whatso ever, the best you are equipt to helping the environment, I'm poor though BTW. But that isn't my fault because I'm not even old enough to get a paper round... LOL, I think too far a head...
  • edited January 2010
    It's not a "Dharma job" but about a year and a half ago I was laid off so I looked for work that would not have a negative impact, the whole Right Livelihood thing. Some friends worked at a cable company and I thought it would be a great place to work, and didn't involve killing anything (driving around I probably killed some bugs, but intention folks, intention). Although it may not seem to helpful, my job really is. For instance, we also install landline phones and hook up alot of elderly people. Many of them have things like "life alert" and need to make sure these things work properly in case there is an emergency. I am happy in knowing the job I do will work when and if this moment of emergency happens.

There are moments when I second guess the job, like the fact so many people are always plugged into their tv's, the internet, etc but at the same time, I don't feel bad about myself when I go home at the end of the day. I've had customers tell me "sorry you had to come out in this snowstorm but you've made this old woman very happy". That makes it all worth it.
    MaryAnne
    edited January 2010
    :thumbsup:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    You just keep that attitude, Joe. You'll be great whatever you do.

Emma, you might want to check publications like Tricycle or the Shambhala Sun. They do sometimes list jobs at Dharma centers and things like that, although as others have pointed out, there are lots of other options where you can do good for people (or animals). I know we're always looking for people to work out at our animal rescue facility, Tara's Babies, in Arizona (way out in the boonies). They pay is low, the work is hard, but it's a great place, and you'd be helping out some wonderful doggies! Probably a bit more than you're looking for though!

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    You just keep that attitude, Joe. You'll be great whatever you do.

Thanks Palzang:D
  • what is chaplin?
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Tosh said:

Yeshe;77848 said:

OH if I could actually INSIGHTFUL and AWESOME the same post...I'm not a vegetarian though, but I love the choice of being one and understanding that just in being alive we cause other beings to suffer. Great post @tosh.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Would anyone like a job meditating on my behalf? :p
    sova
  • Would anyone like a job meditating on my behalf? :p

Would we be working on commission?

:)
    Barra
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    This answer is informed by my degree in economics, which is entirely modern. The historical Buddha was some sort of utopian who hoped to create a civilization of simple monks and I suppose simple farmers who produced little and consumed little. The pali texts don't have a lot to say about economics.

Start with the list of jobs you can choose from. We are constrained somewhat by reality. In a one company town, you might not get a lot of choice. Not everyone gets to interview for a dozen jobs. Not everyone can change their human capital & skills upon becoming a Buddhist. So of those, pick the one that fits your Buddhist ethics the best.

If it doesn't fit Buddhist ethics very well, take a job that you suspect someone else is going to do anyhow and apply Buddhist practice and ethics in your job to minimize the harm you do to yourself and the rest of the world. An example would be jobs in national defense-- those jobs aren't going away.

The world economy is big, it can absorb another person in some virtuous field and that person will rack up the merit points. But some work has to be done by someone-- when the music stops and everyone takes a seat at their job, if you're in a typical morally mixed job, or some job is the only one you can get, apply Buddhist ethics in your job.

If the right livelihood is only a restriction on not doing a few jobs that no one wants to do anyhow, then the rule is stupid. (i.e. no dealing in poison comes down to how you feel about organic farming, no working in butchering animals comes down to how you feel about vegetarianism and karma by proxy, i.e. do you mind other people incurring bad karma on your behalf so you can enjoy meat, fruit without insect blemishes and national defense)
    MaryAnneJeffrey
  • Zig Ziglar used to tell a story that went something like this:

Three men cutting stone at a construction site were asked what they were doing. One very wearily said "I am cutting stone." The work was hard, and the impact it was having on him was visible. Another, who had a broader perspective, said "I am earning a living." And the third one proudly said "I am building a cathedral."

The story can be used to illustrate numerous principles.
    Which man, or men, do you think were living Right Livelihood?
    lobster
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran

Hi guys

A "Buddhist job" is one where a person does so with a the intent of an honest/"right" livelihood. It doesn't necessarily have to do with Buddhism (or religion) itself. At least to me, it doesn't.

Are you a janitor? A school teacher? A cashier at a store? A nurse? Are you performing your job the best you can and with the full intent of making an honest living for yourself or others?

Then you have a "Buddhist job".

• caitflyyy said:

what is chaplin?

Google is your friend
    A chaplain is a priest, some cater for a variety of religions . . .
    Invincible_summersovaReborn
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    lobster said:

Would anyone like a job meditating on my behalf? :p

Would we be working on commission?

:)
    Yes, but linked to results - productivity! :p
    lobsterDandelion
  • As a part time homicidal maniac (my last gardening work involved the destruction of habitats and food for sentient insects aka deadheading and pruning) I have little sympathy for those in relatively benign occupations.
    The sangha who spend their time killing our delusions, advising us to practice till we drop dead and generally keeping us from caring for our responsibilities and families might lead to all kinds of social instability. Maybe we could find gainful employment for them? :crazy:

. . . and now back to the self employed . . . :wave:
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Registered nurse. Lots of opportunity to practice the Dhamma
    lobstersova
  • anandoanando Explorer
    Hi,
    according to Pali-Canon, the only job that is allowed, is teaching.
    The original is the one of a begging munk.

anando
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    hospice care
    park ranger
    working at an animal shelter
    being a cook at a retreat center

"there are many ways to serve" as my teacher says

tap into something you are passionate about and fulfilled by. your balance is joy for yourself and everyone.

Palzang speaks truth. you will be great at whatever you do :)