Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Four Cultivations of Concentration

edited January 2010 in Meditation
This concept comes from the Discourses {Pali Suttas} themselves; not the commentaries. I have only seen this in a few translations; with little or no explanation. As such, I do not know the Pali originals for all of the key terms used; I can only make partially educated guesses. Translations include 'Four Developments of Samadhi' and 'Four Developments of Concentration.' I am guessing that 'developments' is a rendering of a form of the noun 'bhavana.' If so, I much prefer 'cultivations' as a translation.

The Buddha talks about various attainments and the respective method of cultivation for each. I am clear enough on the first and third; a bit lost on the second and fourth.

1. The method of cultivation is the Fine Material or Form Absorption Meditations; Rupajhana / rupa-dhyana; the first four levels of the Calm Abiding Meditations; Samatha / Shamatha 止 {zhi / chih / shi}. The result is: Diṭṭha-dhamma-sukha-vihara / drishta-dharma-sukha-viharata 現法樂住 {xianfa lezhu / genpo rakuji}: blissful abiding in the here and now.
  2. The Method: a meditative practice in which one concentrates on the 'perception of light;' and the sutta seems to indicate that an adept at this demonstrates a radiance that transcends night and day. I am guessing, from the context, he was talking about the 5th - 8th levels of Calm Abiding Meditations, the Immaterial or Formless Absorptions; Arupa-jhana / dhyana. That is just a guess, with very little foundation. The result: athabhuta-nana-dassana / yathabhuta-jnana-darshana 如實知見 {rushi zhijian / jojitsu chiken}: knowledge & vision of reality as it is.
  3. The method here is the Four Frameworks of Mindfulness; Cattaro satipaṭṭhana / catur smrti-upasthana<wbr> 四念処 {si nanchu / shi-nenjo}, 四念處 {si nanchu / shi nansho}, or 四念住 {si nanzhu / shi-nenju}. Mindfulness of body, of feelings, of mentality, and of mental formations. The result: Sati-sampajanna / smrti-samprajanya 正念慧 {zheng nianhul / sho nen'e}: Mindfulness with complete and correct discerning awareness {alertness, attentiveness}.
  4. The method appears to be a kind of insight meditation {vipassana} in which one observes the rising and falling of each of one's Five [Clinging] Aggregates/ Pancha khanda / skandha 五陰 {wu yin /go on} -- form, feeling, mental perceptions, conditioning, and [sensory] consciousness. The result is a destruction / ending / cessation of inflows-outflows {asavas, ashravas -- taints, effluents, cankers, leaks, fermentations}.

Thoughts or corrections?