Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What to do about fleas?

specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
edited January 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I know this isn't a new idea, but the search function came up with nothing, so:

I'm looking for ideas on how to get rid of, or prevent fleas from infesting on pets that doesn't kill them. Any ideas?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    start a circus ):
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    You can get a medicine that is put in their skin that prevents fleas. Ask the vet.
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Frontline. I have gotten it and used it in the past, thinking it was a good idea. After reading the box, I found out that they don't "prevent" fleas, they kill them. Fleas are killed within 24 hours of landing on the dog, and eggs are killed within 12 hours, or something like that.

I was hoping to find an alternative to killing them.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    You could always try reasoning with the fleas. Edit: :P
  • edited January 2010
    Sometimes things have to be killed- fleas, the germs that they carry, viruses that can cause diseases... fleas are the main carriers of Bubonic Plague, which still exists in some parts of the world.

Taking antibiotics kills things, after all.

IMHO it's the principle of the thing- not to gratuitously or mindlessly kill things. It's about making mindful choices. I once heard HH Dalai Lama talk about this because apparently at the time his doctor was making him eat meat. So he talked about the relative number of people that can be fed from a particular animal. More people can be fed by killing a cow than by killing a pig. Eating popcorn shrimp is obviously killing a lot of sentient beings for just one meal. I think his point is that it's relative and specific to the situation.

Those fleas could kill your dog, or you. Mindfulness is the point.
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Those fleas could kill your dog, or you. Mindfulness is the point.

Who is to say my dog's life is more important than 1 Million flea lives? Or mine for that matter? Obviously I get much more enjoyment and companionship out of my dog than 1 Million fleas, but the point should be made.

But I understand your point about Mindfulness. It makes alot of sense. If it HAS to be done, then do it in the most humane way possible (or insectae(?) way possible, in this case).

I remember Lama Suryas Das telling a story about how they had to eventually call an exterminator for one of their monasteries in New York (I think), because the roaches took over the place to the point that the health department was going to shut them down. So some times it has to be done.

Here, I was hoping to find a non-violent alternative, if one exists. Other than that, I would guess that preventative measures would be better. Killing a few fleas early on is better than bug bombing a million, right?
  • edited January 2010
    Right.
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Aside from getting your dog to take a long swim and the fleas taking their chances, the most effective way is Frontline or beaphar drops. However, you do have a choice with bedding etc. You could remove all bedding away from your home, and not kill those fleas, but most advice is to burn it or spray the bed and any carpet near it with insecticide, as fleas can survive in textiles for many months.

It may not be as bad as you think. I once had a golden retirever who regularly had the odd flea running around on his head. I used to pick them off and throw them outside - he never seemed to get more. If you've seen the scurf etc. then there's probably a larger infestation.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    These issues were discussed at some length over in this thread. (Which is not to say that further discussion here is inappropriate, just that that discussion may bring some perspective.)