Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddism and old superstitions

edited August 2005 in Buddhism Basics
The other night during my meditation, I Heard an Owl whooing, It brought me back from with-in. And I realized that the reason for this is from an old legend I had heard as a child, (the owl was a bad omen). I realize that most of the legends of my people were told so that they could survive. But how does one get around such superstitions that are part of one's life? :scratch:

Comments

• edited August 2005
    I think we have a lot of "learned responses" in our everyday life; certain reactions; certain ways we respond to specific things.

Example: When somebody tells you over and over again that it will bring "7 years of bad luck" when a black cat crosses your way from left to right, you are probably - sooner or later - going to associate that black cat with negative feelings.

Now, if you have a cat, you might take longer to associate these things together, and even longer, if you have a black cat. But if you have no relations to cats, it might not take as long to believe that a (black) cat indeed is something you should fear.

To overcome this learned behavior, you could start your own association process, for example, you might want to listen to relaxing music while you look at some cat (or in your case, owl :winkc: ) pictures. Since we have learned to react a certain way, we can learn to react another way as well.

Now, this might not at all answer your question on how we get over our superstitions altogether, but it might show that the first part of solving this problem is to realize what the situation is (why do I react like this?). I think once we notice a couple of times that our fears and concerns are all reactions and behaviors to certain situations, it should be much easier for us to realize that we can also unlearn or re-program ourselves and our thoughts to be positive and not so superstitious after all.

I should add that I have no clue on how buddhism would answer this - I have a couple of semesters of psychology on my resume, unfortunately no buddhist studies yet :hair:
  • edited August 2005
    It helps me to think about how and why the superstition started. It makes it less mystical. Then I realize how things have changed and how it no longer matters. For instance, at the rehearsal for the wedding of my hubby and I, we told the preacher that we were going to do formal pics before the ceremony since we'd still look fresh. Plus, we wouldn't hold up the reception - which was important since it was in the evening and many of our guests were out-of-towners with work or school the next day. I was surprised that the preacher - not to mention my hubby's family - got so bent out of shape. Fortunately, we had already finalized things with the photographer so we weren't going to change the plans and they knew it. Anyways, I realize that it probably was a good thing in the time of arranged marriages for the couple not to see each other beforehand - but nowadays? Come on! And my hubby had already seen my dress on me. He helped me pick it out! And I tell you what, I think we made the other brides-to-be jealous to see us enjoying the shopping process together.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited August 2005
    Welcome to our community, Melancholie :)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I do things that are said to be bad luck. My luck seems to be pretty bad these days.
  • edited August 2005
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    MoonLgt wrote:
    The other night during my meditation, I Heard an Owl whooing, It brought me back from with-in. And I realized that the reason for this is from an old legend I had heard as a child, (the owl was a bad omen). I realize that most of the legends of my people were told so that they could survive. But how does one get around such superstitions that are part of one's life? :scratch:

"Superstition", eh? Isn't it simply a more blatant example of all the erroneous 'beliefs' that we use to organise the world around us into forms that we can handle? In some ways, superstitions are among the easiest to examine and to find, within them, the way in which we structure such delusions.

Additionally, recognising these beliefs as part of our ancestral heritage helps us to understand our place in the flow of history.

Ideally, of course, you will find a moment comes when
    You on a cushion.
    An owl hoots.
    No you, no owl.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2005
    Simon is right. Superstitions can easily fall under erroneous 'beliefs', or wrong views. Wrong views, as the Buddha taught, can be countered with the Noble Eightfold Path.

The Path itself can be broken down to virtue, concentration, and discernment (wisdom). These practices are tools for us to see reality as it is, and to properly understand the 'Thusness' that is the true nature of all conditioned things. While following this Path the mind is observed, trained, and released of it's 'ignorance' or 'not-knowing'. One of the by-products of following this Path is realizing the superstitions that the mind has picked up along the way, and allowing you to uproot them.

With insight and wisdom being cultivated, there is little that the mind cannot understand and free itself from. All it really takes is effort, and time.

Some reading material on the Noble Eightfold Path:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/lee/pathtopeace.html
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/lee/pathtopeace.html
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/wings/2h.html

Although, care should be taken in also seeing superstitions as "part of our ancestral heritage that helps us to understand our place in the flow of history.", as Simon has said. It is not wrong to study and understand where we have 'come from'. It is only wrong to 'hold onto' false beliefs that cause us dukkha. In all things there is the conventinal truth (Sammutisacca), as well as the Ultimate truth (Paramatthasacca).

*Hoot, hoot* :)
  • edited August 2005
    After talking with my master today who gave me something o meditate on. I now understand what I did. So I thought I would share with everyone what he sent me in an email.

All the delightful things of the world--sweet sounds, lovely forms, all the pleasant tastes and touches and thoughts--these are all agreed to bring happiness if they are not grasped and possessed.

But if you regard them merely as pleasures for your own use and satisfaction and do not see them as passing wonders, they will bring suffering.

-Sutta Nipata
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I do things that are said to be bad luck. My luck seems to be pretty bad these days.

Comic... you're such a pessimist.

Why... I bet when you drop a glass on the floor and part of it breaks, you think, "oh no! the glass is broken!" when you could just as easily think, "ahh... now it is just a worthless, un-usable piece of crap!"

See? It's just the way you view things....

-bf
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Actually I am very positive and upbeat except when it comes to my job.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2005
    Amen. This is me when it's time for me to go to work---> :bawling:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Comic,

I was kidding. If that was an example of how optimistic I can be - I'm in pretty bad shape :)

-bf