Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Different forms of meditation

edited January 2010 in Meditation
Hi all, please redirect me to the thread if this has been asked before...

I have been enjoying reaping the calm understanding gained from insight meditation and recently, following a post by Fivebells, tried some Metta meditation which sweetened the mind beautifully.

It led me to wonder how many types of meditation exist within Buddhism and how many major forms these take. Obviously there are infinite ways of doing a particular practice but you know what i'm getting at.

If anyone has examples of meditative practices other than watching the breath or extending loving kindness I would be curious as to how they benefit the practitioner. Equally if there are major branches of insight meditation or metta meditation it would open my practice up alot.

Of course i hope not to be too greedy, i'm enjoying insight and metta on their own!:rolleyes:

Comments

• specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Have you considered a meditation class, or meditation teacher? I know there are several types of meditation, some of which are very advanced. It would be best not to try the advanced stuff until you are ready, and there is nearly no way to tell if you are personally ready unless you have experience.
  • edited January 2010
    I have a sangha in mind that i have meditated with once so far and intend to continue with, but they place alot of emphasis on simplicity- watching the breath and going from there. We have also enjoyed walking meditation. I suppose I am curious as to what else is out there :buck:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Formless meditation..

Is letting go into the space of your awareness as it is. Thoughts come up but the direction is to awaken rather than get caught up in the thoughts. Of course part of the experience IS getting caught up and than gently coming back to awakeness.

The breath or counting or something can be used as a support but it is not a forms meditation with the breath as the object of concentration. The feel of the buttocks on the floor could be used as a support instead of the breath.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I think Ken McLeod said he did at least 100 meditations over the course of the two three-year retreats he attended. May have been over 200 or more, I don't remember.
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I took a Tantric meditation class once that taught different forms of breathing - i.e. bringing the breath to different parts of the body.
    I know a couple of people who do Qi Gong, which includes a standing meditation. My friend Scott does this for an hour every morning!
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I have heard the words Qi Gong before, but I'm afraid I don't know anything about what it is. Care to share a little more information?
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Below is a definition of Qigong, taken from the website of a Vancouver group. It is also the form of meditation used by followers of Falun Gong, which is outlawed in China.

What is Qigong?
    With no true equivalent in contemporary Western culture, Qigong might be best described as an advanced form of acupuncture in which needles are replaced by breathing techniques. Both acupuncture and Qigong are based on the cultivation of energy resources which flow naturally within the human body. The secrets of Qigong have not been revealed outside China until very recently, and the discipline is now hailed elsewhere in Asia as "miracle techniques" with potential to even cure diseases. Through control of breathing and natural movements, The Qigong practitioner can order his or her mind to achieve a state of total relaxation at will, then gather energy to explode instantly with maximum power and relax again in an extremely short period of time.
  • edited January 2010
    Hi

I imagine three broad approaches to meditation training. First is calming meditation, the second analytical meditation and the third associative/transformative meditation. Watching the breath lends itself to calming; attending to internal sensations, thoughts, emotions etc. lends itself to analysis, recalling concepts etc. like in metta meditation lends itself to association/transformation.

I imagine it generally recommended that one begin by establishing stable calm concentration and move on to analytical or transformative meditation practices.

I also imagine the purpose of meditation as to accustom ourselves to a certain state of mind - be it calmness, penetrating analysis, or transfromative asociation.

As stated already there are unlimited approaches to these things.

I found it most helpful, for myself, to follow the approach I offered.

I've received training in several approaches and found that in all cases it's best to train with others in group settings like weekly sangha meditation gatherings or retreats, etc. because the group dynamic helps support the training. I also, really like both the Shambhala and Thich Nhat Hanh (Zen) approaches to calming meditation (for lay-persons) the Theravadin (including the Goenka approach) to analytical meditation and the Tibetan Mahayana and Vajrayana approaches to associative/transformative meditation.

For me the bottom line is really to just sit-down and shut-up for a little while each day and grow accustomed to this way of being more and more during the day, which, by-the-way, is not what I'm doing now :lol:

Shalom and Hugs
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited January 2010

For me the bottom line is really to just sit-down and shut-up for a little while each day and grow accustomed to this way of being more and more during the day

Ditto. This is harder than it sounds really but it is a very good form of meditation as it is and is probably the most basic. You don't concentrate on the breath or loving kindness etc which are more narrower fields of awareness. Before that it helps to practice on keeping awareness on the present moment during the day, specifically by minimizing the inner chatter and the endless streams of thoughts and fantasies
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Formless meditation..

Is letting go into the space of your awareness as it is. Thoughts come up but the direction is to awaken rather than get caught up in the thoughts. Of course part of the experience IS getting caught up and than gently coming back to awakeness.

Sounds interesting. If you don't mind can you explain it a bit more please
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  • edited January 2010
    Hi
    I also, really like both the Shambhala and Thich Nhat Hanh (Zen) approaches to calming meditation (for lay-persons) the Theravadin (including the Goenka approach) to analytical meditation and the Tibetan Mahayana and Vajrayana approaches to associative/transformative meditation.

Shalom and Hugs

Your reply was very helpful Brother Bob. I have heard of Shabhala- how do they apprach calming meditation? Please also give a little more detail on Goenka's approach to analytical and tibetan approaches to associative/transformative meditation. I would like to try these approaches. I am at presnt also associated with TNH.

-^- blueface
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Dear blueface

You ask - how many types of meditation are there.

To which, I would ask, what is your objective.

In Buddhism, the objective roughly stated, is enlightenment, or liberation.

Liberation is liberation of. Of what? Of suffering, of dukkha, and the like.

You speak of simplicity, this is the typical starting place, and whilst it can be looked upon as 'not quite as advanced' it is in fact a very good practice.

Of course, we are always attracted to what else is out there, what might we be missing, so it is perhaps natural to canvass and explore.

Ask however, what you are really seeking, and if it is genuine liberation or peace, then perhaps take guidance from genuine teachers. TNH is good, so are many Thai Forest teachers, old Zen masters, and Tibetan masters whom I may not be so familiar with. Here on internet forums we exchange ideas and theories, but the proof you will really want is in your life. And that takes time, our practice is a step by step practice; don't underestimate basic samatha, it is a very good practice and not to be understated just because it seems bare bones or not as exciting. Diamond in the rough.

FWIW.

Best wishes,

Abu
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Blueface,

I found the Shambhala series of weekend 'The Heart of Warriorship' trainings to be an excellent way of understanding and experiencing 'single pointedness of mind'. Their presentation of this provided via the following link is pretty clear:
    http://www.shambhala.org/meditation/faqs.php#gatheringthemind

You may also get more info at: http://www.shambhala.org/shambhala-training.php

I'm not as acquainted with the Theravadin or S.N. Goenka approach to analytical meditation but did train with several folks how swore by the Goenka organization training method. They have a very good web site at: http://www.dhamma.org/

As far as associative/transformative meditation training I find the Vajrayana a very powerful approach.

As written: 'Unlike other Buddhist teachings, in Vajrayana various techniques and skilful means are presented that help transform the powerful resources of such emotions as attachment, anger, hostility, jealousy, and so on into factors conducive to the path to enlightenment. These methods consist of complex visualization practices, the cultivation of the identity of a divinity, and the transcendence of the bounds of ordinary perception and self. These practices are key features of the heart of the Vajrayana meditation called deity-yoga, which is intimately connected with the visualization of the mandala. At the root of this deity-yoga practice is the unification of blissful experiences, such as those experienced through stimulation of sexual impulses, with a single-pointed concentration of mind on the emptiness of all things, known as the indivisible union of bliss and emptiness. This profound meaning of the Vajrayana path is portrayed explicitly in the complex iconography of the Tibetan Buddhist world, within which mandalas occupy a vital place. The Vajrayana meditation also includes sophisticated techniques involving the utilization of certain aspects of the human physiology such as channels, chakras (energy centers) and the vital energies that flow within them. Corresponding to which emotions are utilized on the path, there are different levels of practice, the apex of which is the Highest Yoga Tantra.' http://www.tibetanclassics.org/doctrines1.html.

I'm currently participating in a 'Tara Retreat from Afar' engaged in the doing the 'Tara Sadhana' several times each day, along with Lamrim study, contemplation and meditation throughout the day with Venerable Thubten Chodron, other residents of Sravasti Abbey, and friends worldwide. Join us!
    For information you may check their web site: http://www.sravastiabbey.org/winterretreatafar.html

Shalom and Hugs