Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation help Please

edited March 2010 in Meditation
Hello!
(Happy New Year!)

I need some help with my meditation. I get pins and needles in my feet when I meditate and if I do an extra long meditation I get at least one dead foot and have to limp around the house for awhile. Somtimes it disturbs me when I meditate so I cut it short which is not something I want to do.

Any advice on sitting so I don;t get dead feet or pins and needles?
(I tried full lotus but that doesn't help stop it).

Help very much appreciated!

Snowpaw.:)

Comments

• BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Clearly, your foot has gone to sleep! My guess is that you are trying to take on too much, too soon. If you are just starting out, an hour is an awfully long time to be sitting still in meditation posture. There is no shame is sitting for a shorter period of time. I would venture to guess that the average layperson sits for around half an hour.
    You may also benefit from trying different postures. Personally, since I'm not flexible, I use the "seiza" (sp?) kneeling position.
    Have a look at the following suggestions: http://www.zenspace.org/site/Meditation_Posture.html
  • edited January 2010
    I don''t really do more than half an hour or twenty minutes, maybe fifty mintutes for tonglen (karma cleansing) meditation. It's just that I really feel like I want to do more but the feet stop me. I used to do ten minutes every day but now I'm on holiday I do more.

Thanks for the postures, I'll look at them. Maybe half lotus is good for me. It's usually my right foot that is dead so I can put that one on my thigh.

Thanks! :)
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Barra is correct your legs=sleep. If you want to stay in that position you have been I would recommend some active stretching everyday. If I am not feeling open physically, I also have that sensation in my legs. One remedy that I do and recommend is a yoga practice before each meditation. I realize that you need to know the yoga poses and it adds on 15 to 90 minutes to your meditation but if you do even some simple hamstring and hip stretches you will be able to sit in any position quite comfortably.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Just find a stable position which doesn't constrict your circulation.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I also have this problem a little bit and I find it helpful to be in a more stable sitting position and let yourself gradually get used to the long sitting hours. If anyone knows, will doing some regular exercises before the practice help? I also do not know Yoga.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Many people do exercises before meditation.

Find a posture that is stable, and helps. One can experiment with postures, and can also do exercises to help with postures. There are many websites about posture, eg, google zazen posture.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I have a problem with my right hip which sends my right leg asleep no matter what I do. I don't have any pain what-so-ever, luckily.
    For me, the cure (as such), is to find the right posture on the right cushion. Harder thick cushions work best for me rather than soft thin ones. I also have to do a little stretching before hand. If I get all this and my posture correct I can sit up to an hour without my foot falling asleep.
    However, if it does fall asleep during meditation, rather than let it disturb me I just simply and calmly straighten it and let the feeling go back. I found, doing this, I don't loose anything during the meditation and it can even be good practice observing the feeling of it.

Nios.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Hi Barra,
    I also looked at the link you kindly gave Snowpaw and I found it rather helpful for myself. I have trouble meditating but this gave me confidence in what to do :) Thankyou for you indirect help ;)
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Do some walking meditation every 20-30 minutes. 10 minutes of walking meditation. Slow steady steps eyes down. Purpose to meditate (not to exercise or get somewhere). Instead of breath as stabilizer use your feet on the floor. Drop the storylines and return to your feet on floor with 75% of awareness still on rest of room (where you are going eg).

It will also help break up any dull states in meditation where your absorption is excessive in relation to the energy of the state. (I am guessing)
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Snowpaw - you don't sound like someone brought up to sit in postures such as full lotus.

Sit vertically and do whatever you like with your legs.

I prefer seiza, but your legs can suffer due to restricted circulation when not used to it.

Two comments - A teacher may be able to help you. Use cushions to help you sit comfortably without restriciting your circulation. ;)
  • edited January 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    ...... If anyone knows, will doing some regular exercises before the practice help? I also do not know Yoga.

Try this link: http://www.yogabasics.com/yoga-postures.html
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I've heard of tingling in the fingers not the legs or feet. I would think mild exercise which is already suggested wise. Just don't get yourself worked up. With my limited knowledge, I thought meditation was to teach us to calm the mind. Exercise can give you a lift if you do it regularly. Also, sitting in a chair prevents some of it for those of you reading this who use that position. Meditation is supposed to help, not hurt. Work with what helps you!
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks everyone for your help. I'll start trying some ideas.
    Would a meditation teacher accept a 15 year old? Or am I too young?
    There is a Buddhist centre near me but they do three hour meditations and that's really hard for me.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I have certainly attended sanghas where there have been 15 year olds, for what that's worth.

Three-hour meditations? Every time? Ask them about it. You will probably find they have some kind of introductory meditation sessions for beginners.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Introductory courses are best as Five Bells said. You have to learn basics by the sangha you attend. I initially learned through www.wildmind.net then went to a local sangha. Find what works for you but I would say getting the personal instruction helps with posture and the practitioner's experience.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited January 2010
    sukhita wrote: »

Thanks Sukhitha :)
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, three hour meditations would be far too long for me too. I tried my first proper meditation last night, I manages ten good minutes before I was interrupted, I attempted another ten minutes though but I kept losing my concentration :-/
    Love & Peace
    Joe :)
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Joe,
    Just something that helps me. I take it in 5 breath cycles. That "monkey mind" needs to learn to be controlled. You know, the rambling thoughts. Those are harder for me than the phone ringing or someone at the door. When I'm meditating, that's my time.

If you have kids, ask some with children for ideas. My idea of playing cowboys and indians has with kids has been pointed out to be considered unhealthy for the child, even though they would be quiet and unable to move for whatever period of time you choose. Ties and gags are illegal in the U.S. for kids. What a silly law when the parent just wants a few moments of peace and quiet. Benadryl may knock them out too long to sleep at night though. Again, ask parents. My ideas work, but may not be in the child's best interest hence why I'm not a parent.

A wise person on this site suggested only meditating for 20 minutes in the beginning anyway. It takes time and practice to build up.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Yeah, three hour meditations would be far too long for me too. I tried my first proper meditation last night, I manages ten good minutes before I was interrupted, I attempted another ten minutes though but I kept losing my concentration :-/
    Love & Peace
    Joe :)
    You're supposed to get distracted, Joe. (Better stop calling you Love. It's gets confusing...). The effort it takes to gently let those distracting thoughts go, like bubbles in the wind, and bring our attention back to the breath is what beginner's meditation is all about. Don't quit when you get distracted. You haven't even started the work yet! :)
    edited January 2010
    Well my brother would have seen and I've hear no end to the teasing, LOL Thanks for the help Brigid :D
    No, I don't have kids BTW :lol:
    I hope ties and gags are illegal for kids too, and I unforunately see why they aren't illegal for adults, oh curse my poisoned mind :o
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/buddhismglossaryf/g/fiveobstruction.htm

Here is some information on dealing with common hindrances on meditation. I try to take them when they come up and let them go by putting them in a mental balloon and letting it go. But work with them.

Since I want to meditate perfectly every time I do it, I can easily get angry at myself when I don't. BE KIND TO YOURSELF! I try to point out what I did right, mentally pat myself on the back, and return to the breath. I will continue to look for articles on the 5hindrances as it is a point that things started to change in my practice.

I would never tie a child or gag them for peace and quiet. They are precious and deserve to be treated with just as much respect as adults. When kids are noisy, I try to remember that they are doing the work of childhood. Playing!
    edited January 2010
    Jerbear,
    LOL I had a look at ze link and I'll type how they effect me:
    Desire; I get jaelous (spelling?:o) occasionly.
    Ill will; Rarely and only in the heat of the moment and I'm really improving in that aspect.
    Slow & Torpor; Sloth occasionly, Torpor far too often...:o
    Restlessness & Remorse; Restlessness often and Remorse occasionly.
    Skeptical Doubt; Occasionly.
    Not good is it!? :-/
    Love & Peace
    Joe
    edited January 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Jerbear,
    Not good is it!? :-/
    Skeptical doubt!?:lol:
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    You're supposed to get distracted, Joe. (Better stop calling you Love. It's gets confusing...). The effort it takes to gently let those distracting thoughts go, like bubbles in the wind, and bring our attention back to the breath is what beginner's meditation is all about. Don't quit when you get distracted. You haven't even started the work yet! :)

And it makes be jealous, Boo!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I don't think Skeptical Doubt is bad as long as it is kept in check. I don't think the Buddha expected automatons who questioned nothing. But when it stops you from practicing basics, well I can see it as problematic. I still am a traditional "Doubting Jerbear". It helps me to not be played a sucker since I can be too trusting at times.
    edited January 2010
    Snowpaw wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your help. I'll start trying some ideas.
    Would a meditation teacher accept a 15 year old? Or am I too young?
    There is a Buddhist centre near me but they do three hour meditations and that's really hard for me.

Search BuddhaNet Buddhist Directory or Zen Centres of the World Directory.

Perhaps there are other local ones. Or perhaps if you contact and ask the centre it is actually possible to attend some parts of it etc.

Good Luck.

Best wishes,

Abu
    edited January 2010
    Ditto.... I still am quite optimistic :)
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks, but I found the centre near me using Buddha net too!:lol:
    edited January 2010
    Good to hear, Snowpaw! :D
    edited January 2010
    Good to hear, Snowpaw! :D
  • edited January 2010
    I have the same kind of problem. Sore/ pins and needles. Am I being a bit too goal-driven in my meditation?
    Blossom
  • edited January 2010
    Snowpaw wrote: »
    Hello!
    (Happy New Year!)

I need some help with my meditation. I get pins and needles in my feet when I meditate and if I do an extra long meditation I get at least one dead foot and have to limp around the house for awhile. Somtimes it disturbs me when I meditate so I cut it short which is not something I want to do.

Any advice on sitting so I don;t get dead feet or pins and needles?
    (I tried full lotus but that doesn't help stop it).

Help very much appreciated!

Snowpaw.:)
    I have the same kind of problem. Sore/ pins and needles. Am I being a bit too goal-driven in my meditation?
    Blossom
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Pins and needles, "asleep" body parts and the like is a nerve getting disrupted. It would be appropriate to change positions quickly and quietly. Depending on how long you meditate, you might want to look at that also. Starting on Monday, I'm upping my time to 45 minutes from 30 minutes. Part of a program I'm going through, but I have to sit in a straight back chair. It's not the position but what you do with your mind that counts from what I've heard.
    edited January 2010
    Jerbear,
    You do 45 minutes? I started low on ten minutes about a week ago LOL. I'm upping the time slowly for about a second a day so eventually I'll be able to do it for ages...
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Hi Joe,

When I first started meditating I started with 5 minutes for a couple of weeks. It was all I could manage with my monkey mind! :lol:
    I then picked it up to 10, then to 15 and so on. These days I sit for around 20-30 mins a day. I have been known to go for 50mins, but it wasn't intentional... when you're in the zone, why limit yourself to time?! :lol:

Nios.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I noticed that as I practiced daily meditations the tendency to get pins and needles in my legs has decreased. I used to always have my legs fall asleep in meditation of about 30 minutes. Now that is not true anymore, for me.
    edited January 2010
    Yah, probobly shouldn't put the timer on my phone :o
  • edited January 2010
    It's quite acceptable to sit in a dignified upright posture with the head balanced on a straight backed chair. I have found that very comfortable, and when i tried the floor i ended up with pins and needles too. It's my understanding that well directed attention/awareness in any posture would be more improratant than concentrating on getting your legs wrapped around your forehead so you look right. That said i'm gonna try that position for fun...gonna check out your link Barra-a change is as good as a rest.
    edited January 2010
    The floor's fine for me :D As long as I don't put pressure on any of my limbs I don't partially cut of my blood supply to them :)
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I second Jerbear and blueface's mentions of using a chair. It is perfectly fine. Your leg/foot falling asleep is a sign that your posture is cutting off circulation. This is not healthy for extended periods and will only become a distraction in the short term.
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, just do whatever helps you with the meditation. Sitting on a chair's fine, we all have our preferences :)
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited March 2010
    Use a lightly filled cushion under your legs; as opposed to a densely filled one; like a light pillow. This has helped for me. Also comfortable half-lotus not pressing up against other leg.
    edited March 2010
    Interesting, I'll try that :) Presently I'm meditating on my bed.

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • edited March 2010
    I have always been taught that, if you sit in a traditional position, your feet will ALWAYS fall asleep. I have always been taught to incorporate it into your meditation session for the day/a.m/etc. simply note it, and continue. don't add anything extra like the perception of "pain!" of "discomfort!" and when you are finished with your meditation, simply wait for the blood to return to your feet. certainly don't rise too quickly, because you literally could break your ankle. don't avoid this incessant "annoyance" of meditation. i believe it really is unavoidable!
    best of luck!
    *namaste*