Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Geshe Tashi Tsering book series

specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
edited January 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Just wondering if anyone has read any of these Foundation of Buddhist Thought books: http://www.amazon.com/Four-Noble-Truths-Foundation-Buddhist/dp/0861712706/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263349253&sr=8-12 . I was recomended them by a friend at my temple, and I am almost done the second book, but I find it very think and difficult to entirely understand at times. I will really need to go back and re-read it. Anyone else have some thoughts?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    I just started Foundation of Buddhist Thought, 2 year course, and i think youre right that they are are hard to read, if you just sit down and read them in one go.
    These books are made for the two year course, and are not supposed to be read in one go. They are meant for being read one chapter each week, followed by meditations, so that you get at slow but in debt undertanding of the subjects.

I hope it helps
    Much love

Allan
  • edited January 2010
    they are excellent into to buddhism books.
  • edited January 2010
    Hmm... Are these worth a begginer buying?
  • edited January 2010

The two year course, are suited for all people. It is recomended that you know a bit about buddhism, but its not a requirement.
    Im not sure if the books are good for complete beginners to just read by themselves, but i dont know.
    They ARE made for use with the two year course, but i guess they are suited for anyone, if they just invest the propper amount of time, to conemplate the teachings in them.

Much love

Allan
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited January 2010

Personally I think it would be more advantageous if this wasn't your FIRST Buddhism book to read. The series might work well if you have had a BASIC book under your belt first (I prefer "Awaken the Buddha Within" but everyone has their own suggestions).