Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The roaming mind

DeshyDeshy Veteran
edited January 2010 in Meditation
Lately I have been having trouble quieting my mind. I use the method of just watching the mind and the thoughts and when I do that the thoughts gradually fade and stop but the second I slip they start coming back again. By the time I finally realize that my mind is at it again I have spent many minutes with pools of thoughts.

This is not only when I am meditating but during the daytime as well. I find it absolutely difficult to meditate like this. Most of these thoughts take the form of paranoid fantasies where I imagine my mum dying, falling or my sister getting killed or the house getting robbed etc.

How do you suggest I handle this please? What methods do you use to calm your mind? :confused:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Comments

• edited January 2010
    free-association writing maybe, to get them out of your head so to speak.
    other than that i'd say just remain diligent in your meditation, and practice single-pointedly.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Deshy, I'm new to meditation myself, but when I begin to feel frustrated about random thoughts I try to remind myself that I'm not to expect anything from meditation, so I try to relax my mind and let go.

I'll re-focus on the breath passing through my nostrils, imagining I'm inhaling pure white light, and exhaling black smoke. Or concentrating on the beating of my heart in my chest; while also being aware of my breathing; also helps.

But I think the most important thing that I have to remember is not to try to hard and that for me - at present - the most important thing is to ensure I do the meditation regularly and not to judge it.

As I say, I've only been meditating for about six months now, so I'm far from being an expert.
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Deshy,

This is the first in a series of about 14 short meditation videos which you might find helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd7a9Ur2x0o

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Tosh wrote: »
    As I say, I've only been meditating for about six months now, so I'm far from being an expert.

You are to me because it is just two months since I started meditating :)

Thanks a lot for the link Dazzle. I have actually gone through that set already; interested in the thai forest tradition and I really enjoy listening to Ajhan Jayasaro
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Deshy,

We can all have busy minds - so don't worry about having too many thoughts - and when you notice them, just gently bring your attention back with the breath.
    Perhaps regular shorter sessions would be best for the moment . You can always use a timer to end each session.

There are some audios here about meditation which might also be of interest.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/audio_files.htm

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Lately I have been having trouble quieting my mind. I use the method of just watching the mind and the thoughts and when I do that the thoughts gradually fade and stop but the second I slip they start coming back again. By the time I finally realize that my mind is at it again I have spent many minutes with pools of thoughts.

This is not only when I am meditating but during the daytime as well. I find it absolutely difficult to meditate like this. Most of these thoughts take the form of paranoid fantasies where I imagine my mum dying, falling or my sister getting killed or the house getting robbed etc.

How do you suggest I handle this please? What methods do you use to calm your mind? :confused:

Deshy

Some good advice already above.

Just to add: Don't think you are doing anything 'wrong'. The fact that you have noticed this is already very good, how many people live their entire lives like this with no such awareness, no such mindfulness.

In meditation, sometimes it is like this. Some teachers recommend breath counting or at least awareness, others don't. Whatever your practice is, just continue, thinking you are doing something wrong is a beginners' mistake when in fact what you say is fine. Meditation can have many different qualities, but continuing it through the many experiences, can produce blossoms, although this is not an experience in itself.

Best wishes,

Abu
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Take a look at what I said recently in the eating disorder thread. Its the nature of your mind to focus and diffuse. Realizing that helps you to be gentle and forgiving of yourself when thoughts come or when you lose yourself in thought.

This will help you develope a calm abiding. You cannot be calm if you are disturbed. You will always have thoughts. Period.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Well I have started counting breath again and a bit back on track now. Thanks a lot for all the very helpful replies

Blessings ....
  • edited January 2010
    don't push your thoughts away for they will become more persistant instead let go. this will take some paitcience and relaxation.