Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Operation

emmakemmak Veteran
edited August 2005 in General Banter
I am having my wisdom teeth out today. Finally. I have an ear infection and my balance is out of whack. I am so happy that I will be relieved of these darned teeth. :rocker: :rockon: :D :tongue2:

Wish me luck, I am terrified of General anaesthetic!!!!

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2005
    Good luck! I'm glad I had mine removed already. Whew.
  • edited August 2005
    Good luck. I'm making an appointment tomorrow to see an oral surgeon. If I can, I'll get my wisdom teeth out soon. Let me know how it goes.

BTW, general is nothing to be scared of. I had it for my boob reduction. The chance of, well, dying is very very very low with current drugs and technology. I'm sensitive to drugs, though, so I did puke after waking up - but I was so drugged I didn't even care.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    The dentist tells me that I need ot have mine out. They neve came out. They are impacted against my other teeth. I don't feel any pain. I am also missing my 2 back molars on the top. Does anything in my body work right? LOL

Emmak, When you fall over just put your hands down. :smilec:
  • edited August 2005
    Now you've got an excuse to eat loads of ice-cream while your gums are healing !
    Hope it all went OK and you're not too swollen - I looked like I'd gone several rounds with Tyson when I had mine out !!
  • edited August 2005
    Good luck, emmak! I had mine taken out in high school - it's really not that bad. Heck, you had a baby didn't you?? If you can handle labor and delivery, you can certainly handle having some teeth pulled! :) Let us know how it goes.
  • edited August 2005
    Good Luck Emmak! Mine are actually starting to come in..and it's causing some pain, and I'm afraid that I will have to have mine cut out as well. I am terrified of the anaesthetic. I'm not scared of the pain I will experience afterwards..I'm scared to go under the drug...lol I'm a pansy
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2005
    I got mine pulled out without going under. There were two that were impacted. I just had the Novacaine (which was bad enough because I have a fear of needles, oooo how I dislike needles. Dukkha I tell you!) You know it's bad, I mean there is nothing pleasant about it -- I can't lie, but it's over relavtively quickly. Afterwards, you get some Vicodin and relax for a few days. Before you know it you're healed.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I would opt for the "knock me out" method. I've heard some people have horror stories about their head being yanked back and forth trying to break those buggars out.

I had them knock me out. The doc said, "Count from 100 to zero..."

"100"
    "99"

Next thing I know - I'm waking up!

If you do opt for the "knock out" method - there is something they can give you to alleviate the nausea from the "knock out" process. And, you have to have someone that can drive you home.

-bf
  • edited August 2005
    When my hubby had his taken out, he requested a "near death experience" (aka, put me way out). He says he remembers the doc coming in and saying, "now the fun begins". Then he saw the nurse coming telling him it was time for him to go home. I want that.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Well, all done. My face is a little bit swollen but not too bad. Thanks for everyones good wishes. I howled like an idiot when they started th anaesthetic cos I was so scared. I cried when I woke up too. What a wuss. I have my teeth - man they are big. They had to break them to get them out.
    Elohim you are just too tough. I could not have been awake for that. Eeew.
    Comic you probably don't have any pain cos you ar on painkillers anyway - LOL!
    I cannot beleive humans have noe evolved into not growing stupid wisdom teeth by now. They are way overrated! On the whole, I am feeling remarkably well. This is good, as I am a pain when I am sick...
    edited August 2005
    emmak wrote:
    Well, all done. My face is a little bit swollen but not too bad. Thanks for everyones good wishes. I howled like an idiot when they started th anaesthetic cos I was so scared. I cried when I woke up too. What a wuss. I have my teeth - man they are big. They had to break them to get them out.
    I cannot beleive humans have noe evolved into not growing stupid wisdom teeth by now. They are way overrated! On the whole, I am feeling remarkably well. This is good, as I am a pain when I am sick...

You're right. They're a throwback to the times when the rest of your molars had either broken or worn out - then voila! you have extra chompers coming in in the back!

I'm glad you went "out". I've heard horror stories about some that they had to break and wrenching your head back and forth to get the buggars out.

Ouch.

-bf
  • edited August 2005
    Mine had to be broken out and I was awake for the whole thing. My mom was a dental hygienist and had too many horror stories of people going under and have side effects, so they just numbed me and did their work! I don't remember it being all that bad.
    edited August 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    Mine had to be broken out and I was awake for the whole thing. My mom was a dental hygienist and had too many horror stories of people going under and have side effects, so they just numbed me and did their work! I don't remember it being all that bad.

That's probably because you're so dainty and girlie. Little teeny-weeny, princess like wisdom teeth. In fact, you probably only had "knowledge teeth". :)

Mine? Having a head like an ogre - I think they had to use a sledgehammer on my face. :)

-bf
  • edited August 2005
    Nope - I am not "dainty"! In fact, I am 5"10" tall!! I am thin, but certainly not "petite"! :)
  • edited August 2005
    emmak wrote:

Hi Emmak,

I am glad that you came through it all right. Don't feel bad---I detest going to the dentist myself! I have had my wisdom teeth out and I was a a big baby about it, too! LOL!

Adiana :smilec: :smilec:
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Have you all ever seen that movie called "The Dentist"? After watching that I don't ever want to go again.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I am feeling really awful now. Thursday was just a trick! Head is swollen like a melon.
  • edited August 2005
    emmak wrote:

Don't feel bad for crying when you woke up. It might have just been a side effect from the anaesthesia. I know I cried when I had my surgery recently. Did they gas you before giving you the IV? I got really panicked when I laid down for my surgery, but they gave me the gas and I was like, "IV, cool...."
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    They tried to give me gas and I freaked out even more, LOL!
  • edited August 2005
    emmak wrote:
    They tried to give me gas and I freaked out even more, LOL!

Yeah. I must admit I was freaked by it too at first. I felt like I couldn't breathe or something. That was over pretty fast, though. Once the gas hit my brain I thought I was falling asleep even though they hadn't put the IV in yet. About once a minute (probably more often but everything seemed kind of slow) I would be like, "whoa, they aren't doing anything yet. Hmmm....want to sleep. Hope they put the IV in soon so I can get some Zzzzzzzzsssssss."