Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Posture

FenixFenix Veteran
edited February 2010 in Meditation
Is there such a thing as perfect posture, will I ever find it

Comments

• edited January 2010
    There is still pain when I sit about half the time but overall, I think it's gotten pretty good. This page helped me with finding a good sitting position: http://www.zafu.net/medtechsupport.html
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010

In the 'Zen Posture' link the author describes seiza as kneeling with the knees together. This would lack the '3 point' support offered by full lotus.

I was always taught that in seiza we kneel with the knees shoulder width apart, big toes touching, which provides wonderful triangular stability. I can't see how a cushion or bench could be used easily with the knees and feet togather.

Using a cushion is not as stable IMHO, but is certainly more comfortable. As with full lotus, sitting without a cushion requires practice as the legs may feel compressed.
  • edited January 2010
    There is no such thing as one perfect posture, and if you find that, youll be able to sit comfortably for the rest of your life.
    Our bodies change as we get older, and so our posture have to change to adapt to the new needs of our body. There are some guidelines for the "ideal" posture, but meditation postures are something we work with for the rest of our life. Even great masters, sit differently through their life. The most important thing is that you are able to sit in a comfortable way, that support your meditation practise.

Much love

Allan
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited January 2010

When you're a perfect person.
  • edited January 2010
    In my experience, which doesn't include knowledge of a perfect posture, meditation can be done not only sitting, but in any position in which you are comfortable and your breathing is unobstructed. I've meditated lying on my back, on my side, sitting comfortable in a chair... then again, my method is observance of the breath, but I'm not sure that would matter.
  • edited February 2010
    Fenix wrote: »
    jinzang wrote: »
    When you're a perfect person.

I like this answer. :D

I don't think there is a perfect posture. I personally find the most comfortable meditating position to be laying down on the bed, on my back. But if you think the risk of falling asleep would be too much, you might want to try using a bean bag. I use to do it this way sometimes (when I had a bean bag - had to get rid of it when I moved along with a lot of other stuff), and I found it quite good as you can mould it to whatever shape suits you best.

Perhaps I should invest in another bean bag sometime... :)
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited February 2010
    From my experience, it's all in the position of the knees :D

The knees need to be slightly lower than the hips (on the horizontal). This allows your hips to gently roll forward taking pressure off your lower spine. It also gives the spine the slight 'S' shape that it needs. It's a common fallasy that the spine needs to be post straight.
    The "three point" teaching is to give you stability left-to-right as well as front-to-back, in case you fall asleep :lol: But we all feel stable in different positions because we all have different size and shape bodies. :cool:

Nios. :)
  • edited February 2010
    What do you think of this verrry easy cross-legged posture?

http://newbuddhist.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=83

:)
  • edited February 2010
    Full-lotus posture is the most desirable, half-lotus is acceptable too.

Posture is very important, your posture affects the mind and the mind affects your posture.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited February 2010
    sukhita wrote: »
    What do you think of this verrry easy cross-legged posture?

http://newbuddhist.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=83

For someone with a bad back it might be good, as it seems to give support. However, if you don't really have back problems, it's a little lazy ;) It looks almost like a throne. I think my ego would go through the roof with that :lol:
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Sounds like a great position for you to meditate in then. :P
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Don't tempt me :lol:
  • edited February 2010
    Nios wrote: »
    For someone with a bad back it might be good, as it seems to give support. However, if you don't really have back problems, it's a little lazy ;) It looks almost like a throne. I think my ego would go through the roof with that :lol:

You're right about the "ego..." thing. I personally think that our meditation seat/mat/cushion or whatever... should be kept as simple as possible. Anyway, this "designer" stool will cost way beyond my means. ;)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I'd love that chair!!

I'd sit on it cross legged though and have the back to support my back. I'd probably have to put a cushion at the back though.

"Bad back Boo"
  • edited February 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    I'd love that chair!!

I'd sit on it cross legged though and have the back to support my back. I'd probably have to put a cushion at the back though.

"Bad back Boo"

My problem is the knees - stiff, and painful at times. Been that way for a long.. long.. time. So I sit for meditation on a regular chair.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, knees can get very messed up and be very, very painful. I know a lot of people who have knee problems, all of whom were athletes. They have high pain thresholds and still they suffer with their knees.

I feel for you, Sukhita.
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks for the compassion you show.

Whenever the pain comes, I wrap the knees with crepe bandage... this helps quite a bit. Anyway, this pain is a on-off thing, dosn't pain all the time... thank goodness for that. BTW two of my sisters also have this same problem, so it seems to be kind of 'hereditary.'

With kind regards,
    Sukhita :)