Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Question regarding differences in types meditation practices...

edited January 2010 in Meditation
Hi Everyone,

I'm a fairly newbie meditator in the grand scheme of things, although I've been meditating 45+ minutes a day, 5 days a week, for almost a year - and dabbled with meditation (10 minutes here and there) for about a year before that.

I have not yet been on a retreat or to a meditation class - so everything I do is learnt from myself and the materials I have ready. I'm planning on taking part in a class sometime soon.

I began with awareness of the breath.

Since then I've meditated on things such as focusing on the pleasure of relaxation, constant awareness of thought or lack of thought, focus on an object or symbol, and more recently, focusing on the sensations and feelings in the body.

Out of all these meditations my current favourite is definately focusing on the body as a whole. I enjoy it a lot in formal sitting meditation, but also practice it when doing many day to day tasks.

I was wondering if any long-term practioners here could tell me how they think this "compares" to awareness of the breath, and if you had any advice for me with regards to ensuring a quality practice.

Thanks,
Rich

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Dear Rich,

Reading your post I imagine you having a natural understanding of the practice. It sounds like you're doing quite well actually.

I also understand the wish to practice correctly and recommend that you follow your own advice 'I'm planning on taking part in a class sometime soon.'

You're doing GREAT!! :)

Shalom