Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mantras: No Idea

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited March 2010 in Meditation
A Buddhist monk in Vancouver gave me a mantra to use; the great compassion dharani mantra. He said it could be my mind protector.

I have no idea what mantras are used for in buddhism; concentration?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    A Buddhist monk in Vancouver gave me a mantra to use; the great compassion dharani mantra. He said it could be my mind protector.

I have no idea what mantras are used for in buddhism; concentration?
    mantra's have many different functions and visualizations that are associated with them. They can be used for concentration, for developing compassion and wisdom, for accumulating merit, for purification, for pacification of obstacles, for blessing other beings etc.
    Compassion is the best protection. Recite the compassion dharani with the visualization that the sound reaches all beings and provides them with whatever they need and be sure to dedicate the merit for the benefit of all living beings and you will be starting your practice well.
  • edited January 2010
    Mantra is a sanskrit word. The root 'man' meaning mind or thought. And the root 'tra' is usually taken to mean tool or instrument, but it can also mean to protect, preserve, defend or rescue from. I suspect saying a mantra is a mind-protector may have been just a very literal translation of the word.

Personally, I view mantras as instruments we can use to help train the mind. Basically, reciting mantras are a form of meditation, and as previously mentioned this has a large range of functions. Among that range, it can help protect one's mind, so the more literal translation the monk used is not wrong.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Thank you I have read your posts; and Brother Bob I am listening to that audio right now.
    The Buddha taught mantra use correct? I would like to use mantras; partly because I smoke marijuana and heard it can enhance the effects of mantra use; but getting to what I need to say here; I am not sure I have a full grasp on the use of them. I read one time the Buddha;s teaching on gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha. He said the meaning of this mantra are will not confuse one; so perhaps this is a good start.

So; is the purpose of chanting this mantra to calm the mind? I kinda think all Buddhist practices are to awaken...

How can mantras help me!!!
  • edited February 2010
    Hi,

I imagine a mantra as an object of sound (speech) that I may associate with over and over again - kinda like basting a Turkey or staining a piece of wood. It's the use of this kind of object to condition mind to a certain state and, therefor, being in a certin state. It's the use of volitional action to tansform being.

Om, gate, gate, paragate, parasamgate, bodhi, svaha is one such object.

I've heard that Om Mani Padme Hum is the most complete mantra.

Why is this? Well, I've had some interesting discussions about this with some of my "non-tantric" friends.

You see, I've also heard that mantras are based on the correct pronunciation of sanskrit's 'sacred syllables' and many westerners horribly mispronounce these words.

What I've heard is that it's the physically felt (tangible) resonance of vocalizing the syllables themselves along with the conceptual meaning of the words that conditions the state of being (bringing body, speech and mind into practice). Anyway, I've heard that the vibratory effect of expressing the sacred syllables is a very powerful tool (skillful means/relative practice) to help transform being. This is verifiable as not mystical but very practical. If I simply hum at different octaves (vocal cords vibrating at different frequencies) different physical effects are felt.

Now, as our physical being is really just energy vibrating at a certain frequency and our mind another (physics) the harmonic resonance created by vocalizing certain syllables has effect. So, the combination of conceptual meaning and vibratory effect has more power than simply conceptual practice or even just sitting to change my relative state of being, in samsara, as a step on the path. Stating this I must be mindful that this is not designed to take me to complete liberation from samsara, it's just working within samsara to transform being - like an oar, a way of helping propel the raft toward the other shore and not the raft itself.

:):):)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited February 2010
    So; is the purpose of chanting this mantra to calm the mind? I kinda think all Buddhist practices are to awaken...

And what does it mean to awaken?
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    And what does it mean to awaken?

Who is asking the question?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited February 2010
    :)
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I have decided I will chant mantras without expecting anything and just be pleasantly suprised.
  • edited March 2010
    i typically use mantras, English or otherwise, for insight meditation sessions. i consider their true meaning, and then don't consider the meaning, breathe, and let some answers come to me. then the real meaning surfaces and it begins to have some purpose to me. also, when i recite mantras with clear meanings during the meditation session, i tend to remember them more clearly throughout the day.
    best of luck!
    *namaste*