Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Buddhist Society

feefee
edited August 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Hello

I'm thinking of doing a correspondence course to learn about Buddhism - the different traditions etc etc. The Buddhist Society here in England runs one, and it is cheap (£25).

i just wondered if anyone had done it / heard of it? And also, would it be a worthwhile thing to do to get an understanding of the basics or would it just be a waste of time and money?

I don't have to do any assignments or anything, but apparently they recommend you call your tutor with any questions. It looks interesting and all above board.

ANy comments would be welcome.

Comments

• edited August 2005
    Hello Fee, I've done the course and thought it was very good. You get sent a couple of modules to read each month and the whole thing takes about 6 months.
    It gives a good grounding in the basics of Buddhist philosophy and introduces you to the practice of regular meditation. The course also covers the history of Buddhism and the differences between the various traditions.
    You also get a glossary as well to help explain all the different terms that get used.

I thought it was well worth doing especially as it was such a bargain!

Actually, I've just dug the course out so here are the chapters covered :

1. What is Buddhism?
    2. A Brief History Of Buddhism
    3. The Three Signs Of Being
    4. The Four Noble Truths
    5. The Noble Eightfold Path
    6. Karma and Rebirth
    7. The Theory Of Meditation
    8. Some Mahayana Principles
    9. Some Mahayana Schools
    10. The Practice Of Meditation
    11. Buddhism In Daily Life
    12. Buddhism Comes To The West

Good luck,
    Adrian

P.S. You don't have to do any assignments ! :cheer:
  • feefee
    edited August 2005
    Thanks Adrian,

I'll get the cheque off to them and get started. I think it will be helpful to get a grounding in it all - and I do like the idea of not doing assignments.
  • edited August 2005
    You're welcome ! :smilec:
  • feefee
    edited August 2005
    Hi Frizzer

I just wanted to tell you that I have applied to do the course, and should receive the stuff sometime this week. I'm looking forward to it.

fee
  • edited August 2005
    Excellent! I studied a bit of Buddhism as part of an Open University degree I was/am doing (taking a bit of a break from it!) but the Buddhist Society course was far more useful.
    Good luck with it,

Adrian