Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Differences

edited January 2010 in Meditation
Hello! I'm new here!

I was looking around, and I didn't find the subject of far eastern Buddhism--Zen (Japanese), Son (Korean), and Ch'an (Chinese). Please excuse me if I got the names wrong. Are there any differences between the three? If so, what?

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    They are all forms of Zen claiming the same pedigree.... Bodhidharma coming to China, the root story of the Buddha's "Flower Sermon". There are many styles and variations but they share a common emphasis on direct experience in practice. There is a long and colourful history.
  • edited January 2010
    long live chán
  • edited January 2010
    and god bless bodhidharma for coming to the east
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I have been looking into this as well and as far as I can see there is a common doctrinal basis but different cultural expressions. To me Chinese Buddhism is a very colourful affair with lots of folk-practices and sideshows that fascinated me as a young student living with a Chinese family. Japanese Zen seems to be stripped down to the bare essentials but my only knowledge of this is through the martial arts which may colour the way it is practiced. I have no knowledge of Son at all, I must make an effort to look into it. I don't think that the basis of Chinese/Japanese Buddhism (I am loathe to say Chan & Zen as I don't know whether everything I have experienced falls into those categories) differs, most of the Japanese names I have encountered were familiar Chinese names that had been translated.

In short, I think the main differences are cultural and occur later in their development rather than being fundamental, doctrinal differences. I am no expert though and I would be glad to be educated on the subject.

Cheers

Badger.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    and god bless bodhidharma for coming to the east
    :eek: ...... Hey!! Nothing Holy, Great Space! :D
  • edited January 2010
    heh heh heh.... nothing great... holy space! ha haw
    very nice post badger