Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Intermediate mindfulness meditation questions

edited February 2010 in Meditation
Perhaps these are not intermediate questions, perhaps they are beginner questions, I do not know - I'm guessing :)

But I've meditated for some time, and my friends who I encouraged to start meditation have different questions to these.

I would appreciate answers only from people who really are sure what they are talking about. This isn't intended to offend anyone.

1. When focusing lightly upon the breath, should there also be a light awareness of everything else.... touch sensations, light & sound, mind phenomena (thoughts etc)? So in other words, do we cultivate awareness of everything at once? Or do we cultivate as detailed a focus as possible of one specifc thing - such as the breath sensations on the outer rim of the nostrils?

2. Recently my meditation sessions have, for want of a better word, had a "theme" of "letting go" or "releaseing" and also of "letting things be as they are". So I have a thought, and I let go of it and return to the breath and body sensations. I feel an emotions... I let go of it and return to the sensations of the moment.

Can anyone relate to this? Would you consider this to be a good path to go down?

My meditation has become extremely relaxing, I remmeber a year ago it would be very tense and filled with discomfort. For example I would have become frustrated by an intruding thought. Whereas now I am comfortable accepting most thoughts which arise with indifference, and then letting them go.

Sometimes the process of letting go is not instant, sometimes it takes a few seconds or longer. Should I be cultivating the ability to let go faster? Or should I just allow myself to let go at whatever speed I do?

3. Often meditators talk about viewing the visual field without labeling anything, much like we do not judge thoughts. However I find it quite difficult to even tell if I am labeling anything or not. I know that when I meditate I still SEE things as objects, but I don't necessarily access the part of my mind which says "this is a chair" or "this is the floor"... however I can still see the distinction between objects.

Could you advise - am I know examining in enough detail, or am I not examining to enough of a fine degree of impermenace (in other words, faster, but additionally, more moment by moment)?

Thanks for your assistance. If you would prefer to PM me than post a public reply that is fine with me.

Rich

Comments

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited February 2010
    RagsToRich wrote: »

1. When focusing lightly upon the breath, should there also be a light awareness of everything else.... touch sensations, light & sound, mind phenomena (thoughts etc)? So in other words, do we cultivate awareness of everything at once? Or do we cultivate as detailed a focus as possible of one specifc thing - such as the breath sensations on the outer rim of the nostrils?

Your questions need a teacher to answer them. Because it depends on what type of meditation you are working on becoming proficient at, and the answers will depend on what the teacher teaches.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I also think you should go to a teacher for trusted advice :)

I'll make a small comment to your second point. From what I have read and realized so far "Letting go" is the base of meditation. So you are on the right track on this one.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2010
    lily_pad_lotus_flower.jpg
  • edited February 2010
    for detailed answers to meditation questions I would recommend www.vipassanaforum.net
  • edited February 2010
    Answers: (this one's relative delusions, anyway)

1. as FoibleFull wrote it 'depends'.

I imagine it related to the level of practice. Focus on subtle breath helps cultivate refined concentration on subtle stuff happening. Global perceptual awareness is merely an object of highly skilled subtle concentration, that being on what's happening in your field of sensation or perception moment to moment.

2. Very nice - I like to label this as resting in "Tranquil Sensitivity"

3. I imagine that's just fine. Keep letting go - touch and go, touch and go.

Sad/Joy Sad/Joy
    Tranquil Tenderness
    Exquisite!

Sad/Joy, Sad/Joy - Subjective Relative Experience (Dukkha/Sukkha)
    Tranquil Sensitivity - Basis of Clearly Knowing
    Exquisite! - The experience of clearly and correctly knowing subjective relative experience. Is this Nirvana?

So, I imagine you're working on cultivating that Tranquil Sensitive basis, Yipee!!

:):):)
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited February 2010
    1. If you are focusing on the breath sensation to the exclusion of everything else, that will, with time, take you into Jhana absorptions. The benefits and need for entering these descrete states are debated.

If the breath sensation is experienced within an open awareness where the totallity of the sensory field is not blocked out, this will lead with time to non-dual awakening. This basic sense of non-duality and subjectlessness is the basis for deeper practice.

2. "letting go" or "letting be" is a good attitude and with time and
    guidance ripens into Non-obstruction within open awareness.

3. Labels are words in your head. If you are aware of the ambient sounds in your environment and are paying attention, you'll notice that such thoughts steal attention from them. Just notice that, and open to the sound again. It is the same with thoughts and the ambient visual field. With repetition of this noticing and returning , thoughts will become clearly delineated as objects of awareness. Then your relationship with them will change.