Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

i just hallucinated after meditation :O

edited February 2010 in Meditation
It just happened and im feelling a but more back to the real world but things are still kinda wavy likke.

ive been meditating for a while but this has never happened.

It was about a hour and 15 minutes and when i opened my eyes i felt as if someone drugged my and i went to go sit in a more confortable spot and everything around my was in a extemely wave motion and moved up and down and bent in andout of what looked like the distance of a foot.. Defititley not a placebo affect.

anybody ever get this before?

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Yup. Not to worry. It may be a little change in perceptual function conditioned by training. Stuff getting a little less solid?

Something to play with? Just wait until you start perceiving all that wavy shimmering stuff appearing and disappearing like ephemeral bubbles popping in and out of clearly perceptible space, most of the time!!

It's really kind of an amusing play of mind!!

:):):)
  • edited February 2010
    Sounds exactly like visual migraine - which doesn't necessarily have accompanying headaches.

Please check with a doctor.

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • edited February 2010
    oh man way to burst the bubble :) is this a serious medical problem?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Whatever is happening, pay no attention to it.
    Any phenomenon in meditation is simply that. A singular phenomenon. Observe it, note it, calm your mind, let it pass, and continue your practice.

It is both unimportant, and earth-shattering.
    It is no great thing.
    It is no small thing.
    It just 'Is'.

It is transitory, and passes.

Just like everything else....

(But I would get that medical check-up for visual migraines, because my brother used to have them, and he had to stop driving for a year.....)
  • edited February 2010
    federica wrote: »
    (But I would get that medical check-up for visual migraines, because my brother used to have them, and he had to stop driving for a year.....)

In addition to the visual disturbances mentioned at the link, I used to get zig-zag lines as well as the waves and ripples. When I first experienced this,I was out in a public place and I knew I hadn't taken any hallucinogenics - so I vaguely thought I might have brain damage ! Anyway luckily I found a bench to sit on, waited till it subsided a little and made my way home very carefully, where I made a doctor's appointment. When I saw him I learned that it was visual migraine.

• edited February 2010
    OK well i had a check up last night for visual migranes and theres nothin wrong.

So im just gonna take it as it is
  • edited February 2010
    Happy to read you've been checked and received a clean bill.

As I understand this kind of perceptual stuff; actually perceiving stuff happening, the way you described, may be a temporary effect of moving closer to the 'bare perception' of the non-solidity of stuff happening in space (big mind) - the beginning of the direct realization of 'emptiness' and resulting transformation of visual (and other) perception. I've heard it's nothing to cling to or worry about, it just happens.

I've experienced different levels of this same stuff over the years as a result of training. I take it as a kind of awareness gained through mindfulness that what appears to mind is neither static nor solid, although it may have some relative function. From this I've come to have a greater sense of freedom because stuff happening is known as mere empty appearance beyond just telling myself, cognitively, that's what it is.

I imagine this as a sign that meditation training (mindfulness of the "Marks" of impermanence and emptiness or no-self) is bearing fruit.

So, enjoy this play of mind knowing it too is mere empty appearance and rest in spacious tranquil tenderness.

Exquisite!!

:):):)
  • edited February 2010
    yeah, glad to hear you don't have migraines. i was beginning to wonder if this altered perception was just a negative medical occurrence. glad to hear that maybe we can see deeper into what really is.