Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Good introductory book into meditation?

edited May 2010 in Meditation
Hi guys, totally new to buddhism and i have some great introductory books on the subject as a whole (thanks to this site :-) but i would like a book that focuses on meditation, any suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Mindfulness in Plain English
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I liked the beginning of "8 Minute Meditation", although I know a number of individuals that did not like it. Substance wise there wasn't much there, but it was able to help me make a 'habit' out of it.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond By Ajhan Brahm

It explains meditation experiences from the smallest step upto jhana levels and beyond in simple language. I strongly recommend it. The first five chapters are available free in the net. If you want I can mail you
    edited February 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond By Ajhan Brahm

It explains meditation experiences from the smallest step upto jhana levels and beyond in simple language. I strongly recommend it. The first five chapters are available free in the net. If you want I can mail you

I think I'd be interested in checking this out. I'll put it on my "to read" list. It's about 70 books long right now :)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited February 2010
    If you put it as 71 you would probably be enlightened by the time you reach this :p

But seriously, you can read the PDF before buying the book
    edited February 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    If you put it as 71 you would probably be enlightened by the time you reach this :p

Haha, I wish! Only about half of my "to read" books are Buddhist. Others are classic works of literature, books about investing, books on social contract theory, darwin's theory of evolution, Malcom X's Autobiography, things like that. It's more of a "Books to read before I die" list.

While I'm sure Machievelli's "The Prince" is wonderful, I doubt it will give me a substantial step toward enlightenment. :lol:
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2010
    It is also possible to just sit down and try it, dear specialkayme. In some ways it is like riding a bike, sometimes the best way is just to get on and do it.

How to Meditate

Gassho.
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks guys, that's a great starting point
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited February 2010
    While I'm sure Machievelli's "The Prince" is wonderful, I doubt it will give me a substantial step toward enlightenment. :lol:

Ohh you are right about that one :D
  • edited February 2010
    The best guide to meditation would have to be this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csyCrcpDs58

It's more instructive and accurate than any book you will pick up.
  • edited April 2010
    Lama Surya Das. ANY of his. he's American, too so it's easier to relate to what he's saying.
    Also anything by Tarthang Tulku is exceptional.
    Best of luck!
    *namaste*
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited April 2010
    There are many good ones. Here's a few that I've found:

Focused and Fearless: A Meditator's Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity
    by Shaila Catherine
    Catherine is a little known Theravada teacher with a deep understanding of Buddhism from the inside out. She has a wonderful way of explaining the actual logistics of meditation. Her prose is dense; she packs a lot of information into a small amount of space and, had this been my first book on Buddhism, I would have come away with a very good understanding of the Buddhist contemplative path. Like Ajahn Brahm's book mentioned by Deshy, her book is one of the rare ones that incorporates the progression of the jhana (absorption) states. The book could be a bit more engaging, but it's still an excellent place to start.

Wake Up to Your Life: Discovering the Buddhist Path of Attention by Ken McLeod
    McLeod teaches an adaptation of Tibetan Buddhism, but does so in a very American way. His prose is clear, engaging and his descriptions of meditation are sometimes quite inventive and nuanced. The program is immense and quite regimented, but he manages to incorporate a larger percentage of the available meditative practices within Buddhism than any other book I've seen. That said, it can be a bit overwhelming and McLeod can be a bit idiosyncratic in his interpretation of Buddhist concepts.

Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life by Ezra Bayda
    Bayda is a Zen teacher and student of Charlotte Joko-Beck (who has also written some books). Bayda's approach to Zen is similar to Joko-Beck's in that he focuses on what it means to practice with the realities of our everyday life. His explanations of meditation reflect the simplicity characteristic of Zen in general. The practice he focuses on is zazen (sitting meditation), the core of Japanese Zen practice. I have benefited immensely from his retelling of the "89 problems" story as well as his explanation of "the substitute life" borrowed from Joko-Beck.

The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions by Christopher Germer
    This one isn't really an introduction to Buddhist meditation. However, it is a wonderful explanation by a psychologist on how to use Buddhist meditation, particularly lovingkindness and compassion meditations, to become more compassionate towards yourself and others. I list this one because many people come to Buddhism because they are suffering, perhaps depression or anxiety or guilt/shame, etc. Germer writes with an easygoing compassion while incorporating a lot of research from the field of psychology/neurobiology. You won't learn as much about Buddhism from this book as the others, but it may just be more topical depending on your situation.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I haven't head anyone mention this particular book on the forum, but I found it to be great. It's called:

"Meditation, Now Or Never" by Steve Hagen

It does a great job of putting things clearly and simply for the western mind to grasp and understand meditation without any of the more complicated, esoteric aspects of it.

It goes into great length into what meditation really IS, and what it should and shouldn't be and I think I was lucky to run into this book first and not other material, because now I have a clearer picture of what meditation should be like and how simple it can really be.

I should note, that this book is a Zen meditation book and it focuses on zazen (zen sitting meditation). If you're looking into a different kind of meditation, you should try another book more suitable to your needs.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    In the Tibetan Tradition Kathleen McDonald wrote a nice book on meditation at a beginners level..
  • edited May 2010
    Patriot83 wrote: »
    Hi guys, totally new to buddhism and i have some great introductory books on the subject as a whole (thanks to this site :-) but i would like a book that focuses on meditation, any suggestions gratefully received.

This one is a classic, it gives a full outline of what is required to begin, to continue and succeed; what obstacles may appear etcetera.

http://www.kalavinka.com/kp_book_pages/ebm_book_page.htm

But books cannot replace a guru with deep experience in meditation.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited May 2010
    "Peace is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hanh. I simply love this book. Simple to read and demonstrates not only meditation practice but also beautifully deals with the interconnectedness of everything, and coping with daily situations. Mostly in language that could be understood by a child.